• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Can’t remove the Bike Key/No Power

copland504087

Just needed some help figuring out what’s going on with my bike. I have a 2018 with one key fob and for some reason when I go to turn the ignition the key just spins around and I don’t get any power when I go to depress and turn switch ON. I’m left with a spinning key that I cannot remove at all.

Any suggestions? I have the bike currently in my garage and on a trickle charger. First time ever something like this has happened. Bike started no problems about a week ago.

Attachments

• IMG_1551.jpeg
    IMG_1551.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 55
If you haven't pulled the battery and abrasively cleaned all the connections, including the ground on the frame, that's where you start. Make sure you have a good battery in the fob. Try using the passive portion of the fob by holding it up by the key switch. Not sure why you are turning the switch if you don't have power. It has to be in the fss position to remove the key. While the battery is out, charge it on something besides a battery tender and when it's charged, load test it. Some will appear good until you load test it. HTH

I'm also confused by. His statement spinning the key around. I know that my stove key, when it meets resistance will break free and the stove knob will spin without turning the key. I wonder if that's what he's describing.

That being the case ur not getting power and need to follow buds recommendations

Thanks for the advice I’m in process of getting a new battery now. I tried to go to two local motorcycle stores but they did not have my specific one for the concours. I have one ordered and hopefully I can get this issue resolved. And the “stove knob” spinning is exactly how I would describe without any power. Thanks again and I’ll keep you guys posted.

And yeah I probably should’ve figured it might be the battery since it’s still the original battery inside from a 2018…….

Did you clean all the connections, charge the battery and have it load tested or just decided to go buy a new battery? As far as the key is concerned, it's supposed to just turn if the bike hasn't been powered up.

i just decided to get a new battery and go from there. I had the old battery on a trickle charger for a few days and nothing. I’m hoping it’s just the battery and that’s probably what it is.

My thoughts on possibilities...FWIW:

- Dead active FOB battery, try passive part of FOB.
- Need to clean battery connections well BTDT. For the problems it fixes, it's relatively easy.
- Dead motorcycle battery.

If it is the motorcycle battery, easy fix. If the original motorcycle battery died, I might consider replacing the FOB battery as well.

Good luck!