• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Carb work stand

nosmo

Hey, guys, I'm in the process of installing SISF's rejet kits on my carbs and also bowl drain tubes, and I got tired of trying to hold tha carbs level while adjusting fuel levels, etc. So I cobbled up a little carb-holding fixture out of PVC pipe I had lying around. I posted pics and other details over on "the other" forum, www.concours.org, but I thought I'd mention it here also. My dial-up connection makes it too slow to post pics on both sites. Also, I don't think I know how to post pics here. Nothing fancy just a tool that makes the carb work a little easier, and we do seem to do a lot of carb work, don't we? I didn't know if it was OK to post a direct link, so you'll find the thread on "THE BIKE" forum, under "carb work stand", if you're interested. And now...back to work.

Cool! I'll have to go try and find it over there. If you can, why don't you do a little write up and send the pictures to our Tech Editor Rich Reed (tech-ed @ cog-online .org). Maybe he can use it in the Concourier! Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649 Merchandise Czar

Now that sounds like a good idea to me..that way all Coggers would see it..I saw the other post/pix....a really neat idea that works and can be made for small pesos ..

Good stuff. Dave has the right idea. Write up an article on how to make and use them, and email it with photos to the Tech Editor. It's his task to collect tech tips and articles from members. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Nosmo I tried finding your posting on The Other Site but came up empty. Can you direct me to its location? Thanks

I tink its this http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=53806.0 ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Very Sweet! Kudos thou for your design Nosmo! I strap a bar across the top of the cabs with wire and sling it between the rails of a step ladder. That way its at a good working height and I can get to the bottom of the carbs real easy, and can even remove the bowls and adjust the float height will the whole shebang is hanging up. I then suspend my fuel source from the top of the ladder. Colin Prior Cogmos Administrator Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=53806.0 Yes, that's the link. Sorry Rich, it's a little confusing as I have two different signatures. Here I'm Nosmo, but over there I kept my old name, Lawrence Osborne. You don't get anythinbg if you search for postings from Nosmo over there. Frankly, I'm amazed there was so much interest in this little toy. I'll write up a brief thing for the Concourier and send it along if you want.

I just made my stand today, $17.00 in materials!!! This is the one of the slickest ideas i've seen...cheap and very usable. The only thing I've done differently, is that i couldn't bevel/grind enough to get my carbs to fit into tube...just used 2 old carb manifold instead....Thanks again for posting your idea.

Alright, stupid question of the night; why can't I find photos of this PVC wonder on either site. I have some work to do and am intrigued by these write-ups. Hans

Hans: I think I have found the technological flaw here. There is a link posted in this thread that will take you to the "other" Concours forum, but unless you are registered there and signed in, you can't see the pics. I don't know how to post pics on this forum, and I do not have an on-line picture album set up anywhere. I will send you a PM with my email address, you reply to me, and I will reply to your email with pictures. How's that? Editted: Hmm, that won't work, I just tried to PM you and it says you have that function disabled. TRY THIS. You PM ME with your email address and I'll send you the pics, that should work.

What about hooking a vacuum to the stand? Could it be used to "rough sync" the carbs on the stand before installing them in the bike? ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife Why is it that for evey 1 "making Bacon" there are 20 people eating the fat?

I don't know if it would be worth the time to fool around making a preliminary synch adjustment, since the on-engine synching only takes about a minute, but it's your call. Actually I have been thinking about making a set-up to flow-test the carbs, using a tubing manifold, shop-vac, non-flammable fluid and something to measure metered fuel flow. I'm just too lazy.....

I just finished doing my first valve adjust and SISF's EX cam sprocket, Jet kit mod and bowl drain tubes. I think I created the cheapest of all carb holders. I used two pieces of 3/4 strapping, two 1-1/2" wood screws and two long, aprox 5" (I dont have them with me now but they would equal the width of the carbs + 1-1/2" to go through the strapping) The longer front piece of strapping gets screwed to my bench (or what ever you may have around) and is around 6" longer than the length across from #1 to #4 carb. I screwed it in about 1" from each end. The shorter back piece is around 3" longer than across the carbs and I drilled holes for the long screws to go through about 1/2" beyond either side of the carb. (this also allowed for the fuel level testing tube to be held up between the carb and screw) You then just put the carb rack between the boards and tighten the long screws to hold them in place level them using a torpedo level and your ready to go. this also gives you access to remove the fuel bowls if you need to adjust float level but if you need to adjust more than one I would just remove the whole assembly by removing the two screws from the bench, do your work then no need to re-level for round two of float adjust. I tried to shortcut it by trying to bend the tang on the float without removing them from the carb, my shortcut caused me two additional fuel level checks. After I removed the floats to adjust I got 3 right the first time then removed the fuel bowl from the one that was off while still mounted to the bench and got it on that try. Got the bike running yesterday and synced the carbs, motor is ready to go, now I just have to install my Goldwing vent in my shield and wire my side lights from Murph's in place of the reflectors on the upper faring and I'm on my way. 1968 Honda 160 Scrambler, Sold 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in 1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja 1999 Kawasaki Concours COG memb# 8645

Inspired by this thread, I made this version. http://picasaweb.google.com/DCRibbens/CarbHolder?feat=directlink It is all 2" pipe with 2 street elbows for the 90 degree turns and a threaded coupling at the bottom. I simply screw the female threaded cap to my work surface and screw the rest of the holder into that cap. I can spin it 180 degrees around and flip the carbs over. It is amazingly stable. Thanks again to Lawrence Osborne AKA Nosmo! Hans