• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Catskills ??

andydude

I will be going south thru the Catskills area and wondering if there are any must ride roads around there ??

Thanks !
Andy

It might help if you have an idea where your coming from and where your going. It makes it easier to help you out with a road or more.  ;)

Cap'n Bob said:
It might help if you have an idea where your coming from and where your going. It makes it easier to help you out with a road or more.
+1  "The Catskills" encompasses a fairly large area.  There are some great roads, and almost all of them will not help you get where you may be going.  ;D 

If you're talking about the eastern Catskills, in the triangle between Binghamton, Albany, and New Paltz, NY, then Cap'n Bob and I are probably thinking about several of the same roads.

Cap'n Bob said:
It might help if you have an idea where your coming from and where your going. It makes it easier to help you out with a road or more.  ;)

I'll be leaving from Lake George and coming from the schenectady area and want to heading to the Port Jervis area .......basically in a north to south direction. I am heading to N.C. and got my route once in VA but inbetween i'm up for suggestions !! 

I am originally from upstate NY, Utica area. You can have a great trip and never leave the mountains up there! I cant wait until fall this year to get up there again!
Matt

andydude said:
I'll be leaving from Lake George and coming from the schenectady area and want to heading to the Port Jervis area .......basically in a north to south direction. I am heading to N.C. and got my route once in VA but inbetween i'm up for suggestions !!
Well, then, it just depends how far you may want to go out of your way.

Route 30 around the Pepacton Reservoir is a great ride.

Peekamoose Road is another nice ride. 

Frost Valley is OK.  I'd choose Peekamoose first, though.

There is pretty much NO cellphone reception along any of these routes.  And not very much traffic, either.

Well from Schenectady to Port Jervis with some nice roads, try this out. It will give you a nice mix of roads. If this don't work for you, let me know and we can try another route.

I'd say to save a little time, hop on 87 South (NY State Thruway) to Catskill. (Exit 21) This will get you away from the Albany area and make a little time. Yes there is a good amount of slab to start with. But It allows you plenty of time for the rest of the ride. This ride will be around 200- 220 miles from Lake George depending which way you go.

Make a left out of the toll plaza and head south on Main Street, to right on 9W.  9W splits and 23A goes right. Take 23A to Tannersville. (about 110 miles from Lake George) Play it safe and top off the fuel tank.

A little past Tannersville on 23A, but not quite to Hunter, make a left onto 214 South.

Take 214 to Phoenicia. 214 makes a right in Phoenicia and then right onto 28 West. (about 15 miles from Tannersville) About another 10 miles to Big Indian. Make a left onto Co Rd 47 (Frost Valley Rd) about another 20 miles, then right onto Co Rd 19 (Claryville Rd) for about 5 miles.

Turn left onto 55East for about 2 miles (Gramsville).

Then right onto 42 south. Follow 42 south (through Monticello) to Sparrowbush (about 40 miles)

Once in Sparrowbush, make a left onto 97 south. This is only a short distance to Port Jervis. (maybe 3 miles)

Or the preferred alternate route which is about 13 or so miles longer: NY42 out of Gramsville (through Monticello)  to right on Co Rd 43 (Forestburgh Rd)  about 38 miles.

43 to slight left onto Co Rd 42 (about 5 miles). Turn left onto Co Rd 31 (Upper Mongaup Rd) for about 5 miles. Then left onto 97 south for about 6 miles to Port Jervis. This route has some really nice twisties, eagle look-outs, reservoir, and the Hawks nest. It's worth the extra time and ride if your up to it.

Thank you so much Bob !! Great details for sure...... looks like a awsome route ! Maybe i could be travelling in a different area ..... if you were going to the winchester V.A. area would you go this route ??

Thanks for your help !
Andy

Yes that's the route I was thinking of riding !! Thanks again Bob !!  Will I be going by your neck of the woods ??

andydude said:
Thank you so much Bob !! Great details for sure...... looks like a awsome route ! Maybe i could be travelling in a different area ..... if you were going to the winchester V.A. area would you go this route ??

Thanks for your help !
Andy

I live a little south of Winchester, so I'm curious what your route is once you get there, if you don't mind sharing.

andydude said:
Yes that's the route I was thinking of riding !! Thanks again Bob !!  Will I be going by your neck of the woods ??

Actually some of these roads are roads that are destination rides for me. Other than the Northway/Thruway coming down from Lake George. The only road that could even be considered ho hum for any distance would be 42. And it's actually pretty good for the majority of it. So yes I would and have taken portions of it going and coming from places. But I have ridden all of it many times. Yes there are some more fun roads I could have sent you down. But the idea was to let you enjoy the ride and still make decent time. Trust me, parts of this are pretty well back in the woods. There probably will not be cell service for some of these areas (maybe a lot of it). So that's why I suggest keeping your tank full if your up for a break, and not get toooooo carried away on unfamiliar roads. But yes, you will not be too far from where I live. But the closest point will still be over a half hour away.
  I live about 40 minutes from Port Jervis. If you plan on staying there. Matamoras Pa has hotels right off 84/209. Plus you can walk to other places. The Best Western is a little older, but not bad. The Hampton Inn is quite new. (next door to each other) They are probably the best located of the hotels in the area. But they are probably not cheap. So the smaller ma & pa places wold be cheaper. If you want more on that stuff, pm me and ask away.

Glenn said:
andydude said:

Thanks for your help !
Andy

I live a little south of Winchester, so I'm curious what your route is once you get there, if you don't mind sharing.
50W to 219s to 33e to 28s to 250w to 219s to 66e to 28s to 39w to 219s to 460s to 16s to Marion. From there i keep zig zagging my way to Maggie Valley N.C.  Do you know what 72 is like betweeen 219 and 32 ?? Is it worth taking that way ??

Thanks !
Andy

Rt 72 between 219 and 32 is narrow, unlined, and sandy.  I would not recommend for riding, though it is scenic.

The best of Rt 50 is west of the 219 cut-off.
Rt 33 from Elkins to 28 is a fair amount of divided highway, the best part of the that road being to the east of Rt 32.
Rt 28 and Rt 219, like most north-south roads in the state, follow the valleys, so have a lot of sweeping turns.  Nothing technical, but good riding.
Rt 66 is okay, but be mindful of sand and gravel that can appear in the corners.  It tends to wash in after rains.
Rt 39 is great to the east, but your only on a short portion to Marlinton.
I can't comment on 219 south of Lewisburg, or Rt 460, but Rt 16 is great.

Good luck, and have fun.  I ride over ther a lot, and there, and they have some really great roads.

Glenn said:
Rt 72 between 219 and 32 is narrow, unlined, and sandy.  I would not recommend for riding, though it is scenic.

Rt 33 from Elkins to 28 is a fair amount of divided highway, the best part of the that road being to the east of Rt 32.
Rt 28 and Rt 219, like most north-south roads in the state, follow the valleys, so have a lot of sweeping turns.  Nothing technical, but good riding.
Rt 66 is okay, but be mindful of sand and gravel that can appear in the corners.  It tends to wash in after rains.

Good luck, and have fun.  I ride over ther a lot, and there, and they have some really great roads.

You are more than welcome to tag along for a bit if you wish ..... i'll be by myself !! 

Thank you for the info !!

Glenn said:

Would you recomend me staying on 39w all the way to 20 and then come south ?? It does look pretty nice !!

It is nice, but so is 219, especially the section just south of Marlinton.  In general, the roads that travel east/west, tend to have more twisty sections than those going north/south.  The valleys in the state generally run in a north/south direction, and the north/south roads usually follow along the valleys, while the east/west roads cross the mountains.  Just a general rule, not hard and fast by any means.  For example, Rt 33 east of Rt 32, Route 250 east of Rt 219, and Rt 39 east of Rt 92, are all excellent if you want twisty roads.   

Glenn said:
It is nice, but so is 219, especially the section just south of Marlinton.  In general, the roads that travel east/west, tend to have more twisty sections than those going north/south.  The valleys in the state generally run in a north/south direction, and the north/south roads usually follow along the valleys, while the east/west roads cross the mountains.  Just a general rule, not hard and fast by any means.  For example, Rt 33 east of Rt 32, Route 250 east of Rt 219, and Rt 39 east of Rt 92, are all excellent if you want twisty roads. 

Yes i've been on that 33 and 250 and they are hard to bypass ..... love them !!  If the timing is right i can holler at you when i get in the neighborhood and we can meet for a coffee or something !!