• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Colorado Riders going to the SW Regional in June 2013....

notsluggo

Crotch Rocket
Old Man on a Connie has asked me to gauge interest from Colorado riders regarding next June's SW Regional gathering in Cedar City, UT.  You can read more about this effort here: http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,39161.0.html
I'm planning on riding out - leaving on Thursday, 6/6/13.  :motonoises:
I love route planning and have already begun my dreaming.  Current route plan will take me out 285 from Denver to Buena Vista, south to Salida, over Monarch pass and down through Gunnison, out to Montrose and then south to Durango for day 1.  Day 2 will take me through Cortez, CO, Kayenta and Page, AZ, through Kanab, UT and then on in to Cedar City.
If any of y'all are interested in riding along - or even just suggesting good / interesting route modifications - please let me know.  Heck, I may even stretch it to three days so I can slow down and enjoy a little time at the Great Sand Dunes and/or Mesa Verde.  Maybe stay in Ouray on night one and then Page, AZ on night 2.  So many options in this part of the country.

Ok, I'm in for this route - I have some unfinished business with the Million dollar highway.  I was in Montrose in 2010 for a V-Strom gathering, but had to leave early and never rode 550.  I am really looking forward to finally getting there.

I also like the 3-day route if you want to extend the trip. I can leave as early as Wednesday, so either 2 days to Cedar City and be fresh on Friday, or take three days and arrive Friday afternoon. Either way works for me.

Is it June yet?

As soon as Mother Nature cooperates a bit more - we'll need to meet up to compare potential routes.  Need to hook speed ratchet up too.
There's safety in numbers! 

Alright - here's the travel plan (for me and Denver6):
Day 1 – Wednesday, 6/5/13 – Approximately 300 miles
• Meet @ the Willow Ridge Manor (just N of 285 where goes north 8 into Morrison)
• 285 S to Salida - ~ 122 miles
• 50 W to Gunnison - ~ 65 miles
• Lunch in Gunnison
• 50 W to Montrose - ~ 65 miles
• 550 S to Ouray - ~ 37 miles
• Overnight at the Ouray Victorian Inn (970.325.7222) 2 Qn Room - $113 each w/tax
• Walk into town (couple blocks) for dinner and beverages
Day 2 – Thursday, 6/6/13 – Approximately 345 miles
• 550 S to Durango - ~ 70 miles
• Breakfast in Durango
• 160 W to Cortez - ~ 46 miles
• 160 SW from Cortez to Four Corners – obligatory tourist stop - ~ 40 miles
• Backtrack to 41 NW - ~ 6 miles
• 41 / 162 NW to Bluff, UT - ~ 42 miles
• 191 N to Blanding - ~ 22 miles
• Lunch in Blanding
• 95 W and N to Hanksville, UT - ~ 122 miles
• Overnight at the Whispering Sands Motel (435.542.3238) 2 Qn Room - $90 each w/tax
Day 3 – Friday, 6/7/13 - Approximately 210 miles
• 24 W from Hanksville to Torrey
• Breakfast in Torrey
• 12 S from Torrey through Bryce (possible detour into the park) to 89 S - ~ 124 miles
• 89 S to 14 W - ~ 21 miles
• 14 W to Cedar City - ~65 miles
• Eat lunch, check in, grab cool drinks, and locate pool.

Yes, we could take I-70 and I-15 and be there in one day / 9 hours / 580 miles of [boring] interstate riding - but why?  With so many great roads, towns, and areas between here and CC - what's the rush?  If I was in a hurry - I'd drive my truck...

Hey Bill,

That road between Torrey and Blanding through Capital Reef and Glen Canyon will blow your mind.  That's the route I took to meet Old Man and crew in Cortez.  Stunning!

I'll work on putting that eastbound route out of Holladay together for you.

Mike

Coming back from a losing trip to Vegas, I rode through Zion, Bryce, and Capital Reef in two days time.  Spectacular areas!
Appreciate your inputs, Mike.

I've registered, and would like to ride with you guys--- looking to share a room with another rider.

Thanks,
Bob

Any of you guys have bike to bike communications? I have the Sena SMH-10 - which of course, only pairs to other Sena devices.  Anyone else have Sena?  Something else?  Nothing? Just trying to figure out if we will be able to verbally communicate while riding out to the RRR.

:motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :motonoises: :great: 

CRocker said:
...might just have to put each other on voice dial... :-\
I rarely answer a cell phone while in the cage - and I for damn sure would not answer one on my bike!
I have an uninstalled system upstairs - but don't remember what brand it is.
I've already been wondering about group riding long distance.
If rider A wants to stop and take a picture - what are riders B, C, and D obligated to do?
I can see coordinating at gas stops and such - or meals - but for 300 or 400 miles?  Not sure how this is going to work.  But I'm open to ideas.

notsluggo said:
CRocker said:
I rarely answer a cell phone while in the cage - and I for damn sure would not answer one on my bike!
If rider A wants to stop and take a picture - what are riders B, C, and D obligated to do?
I can see coordinating at gas stops and such - or meals - but for 300 or 400 miles?  Not sure how this is going to work.  But I'm open to ideas.
Just some suggestions. Exchange info (cell numbers, emer. contact info etc) with EVERYONE. Map the route so everyone has it and include planned stops and meet ups. Use hand signals ( if rider 1 pulls over for pics or a bio break wave everybody by with a OK sign). If tail, catch up with the next rider and let them know your stopping for the above and your OK. Otherwise there will be lots of U turns when you disappear from the rear view. Need a gas stop? Point at yourself then the tank. Gonna stop for a pic? Point at yourself, make the universal picture click sign followed by the OK sign. Acknowledge all signs with a thumbs up if you understand. Raise the left hand high for a heads up and to get attention. Left hand out and down, palm back for slow down. Point at road objects with the hand if possible, if not use your feet to point.  Tapping the top of your helmet with your palm means LEO's. Left arm out forearm up with closed fist means stop (except for the Harley guy's). Always wait for trail riders at stops. Stop at all turns and wait for the next rider to see you when you turn and so on. Never ride farther than 2 miles with nobody in your rear view. Pull over, wait 1 minute then turn around. You guy's are gonna have a blast. C U in CC

Dang, OMC - you're turning out to be waaay smarter than Mike B makes you out to be.... :-\

Some good guidelines to follow there.

I'll add - ride your own ride.
I tend to ride moderately fast and regret stops not taken.
I'll try working on that en route to the RRR. (The stops not taken part - not the speed.  >:D)
I'm sure Bradman will be happy to share a story of my impatience as we were riding up Hoosier Pass oh so many months ago.... (Summer?  I kind of remember that season...).... freakin' tourists..... :mad:

I'm not a smart man but I can lift heavy things. :rotflmao: Actually good point. Ride your own ride should be #1. If the folks your with are good people (like the folks in this club) they'll wait for you without any BS (well maybe some well intentioned tutoring). If they don't find new freinds. :beerchug:

notsluggo said:
CRocker said:
Reta and I haven't done a COG Rally since 1992/'93 ish.  On longer runs, 200 miles plus, we tend to ride by ourselves and at a pace that works for us at that point in time, get off and smell the flowers when it pleases us.  Generally, we'll bump into other riders along the way maybe ride with them for awhile.  Usually you run into them at a fuel stop, or at restaurant along the way.  It's not that unusual to see the same group of riders at various points along the way ...they stop here, you stop a little later.  It's a game of tag. When you get back to the barn you'd be surprised at how many helmets you recognize.

Bert