• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Copper Harbor Rendezvous is alive - Sep 6 - 9.

Stasch

Since Brian 2Fast Snoberg is to be tied up with OTP - he had not scheduled a trip for this year.

RWulf and I have decided to go anyway.  You are welcome to join us.  Trip format is pretty laid back, probably ride around the peninsula coastlines (which is beautiful scenery along Lake Superior with twisties) - maybe a copper mine tour - and the usual stops and eateries - campfires - etc. 

This is a gorgeous scenic area of the northern most part of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and IMO the USA as a whole.

My plan is to ride up to Richard's place in Traverse City (lower peninsula) and bunk over on Wednesday night.  Richard will make room for others who wish to do the same.  Sound off to Richard if you want to do this. 

Otherwise plan on meeting us in Copper Harbor on Thursday p.m. sometime at the Bella Vista Motel.

Let us know if you are planning to come so we know to watch for you.

I just spoke with the friendly staff at the Bella Vista Motel which is where we usually stay.  They are right on the water and the views are fantastic.  There is a campfire area that they provide.

We've got our reservations in for 6th, 7th and 8th (Thu, Fri and Sat nights).  As of right now, they have 8 lake view rooms available as well as other cabins and Isle Royale House rooms.

You are on your own for reservations.  Don't wait until the last minute as this is still a busy time of year for them.  There is a state park not too far away for camping if you wish.

Check them out at:  Bella Vista Motel
Ph: (877) 888-8439
Or: (906) 289-4213​

There are other motels in the immediate area as well.  Google 'Copper harbor Mi hotels'

See you there!

Stasch, this sounds like it should be a really excellent ride and I must agree that that area is one of the most gorgeous this state has to offer. My wife and I might be going to Grand Marais the weekend of the 24th, not sure yet. Rather we go or not a second trip north would certainly be great! I have yet to grow tired of ridding in the UP. I will be sure to let you know. 

Stan,
    I don't have enough time to attend, but if you're riding in the copper peninsula, particularly around Copper Harbor, there's a guy who rides & goes by the name of Head on the Sport-Touring.net forum who's opened up a microbrewery called the Brickhouse Brewery.  Don't miss H58 near the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore either!

I'm on vacation the week of Labor Day, and our trip to Arkansas to ride twisties on Yamaha XS650s got nixed at the minute. I'm going to go for a 4 day ride to somewhere, and now plan to be in Copper Harbor sometime in that time frame. I won't be on the Concours, since it went "bang" on my trip west in July, but look for the custom Roadstar with the flame paint job. That would be me. I'll certainly have an interesting campfire story about the Concours that didn't.
Cafefill

I will not be able to attend.  My mother in law has suffered heart issues followed by 2 strokes.  As a result I am in Little Rock on an last minute open ended stay.  You guys have fun.  I will be there in spirit.

Stasch said:
I will not be able to attend.  My mother in law has suffered heart issues followed by 2 strokes.  As a result I am in Little Rock on an last minute open ended stay.  You guys have fun.  I will be there in spirit.
Stan I'm sorry to hear that, I'll keep her in my prayers. Maybe another time yet this year. Its doubtful I can make it that weekend, conflict issues. Man I do love it "up" there!

Yup. It looks like this:
P5290403.jpg

Not as agile as the Concours by any means, but it has been a really comfy ride for over 100,000 miles now; still going strong.
Looks like rain today here, so I might not shove off until tomorrow, but will hopefully be in Copper Harbor either Thursday or Friday night. Looking forward to meeting you guys.
Cafefill

looking at the same rain here. I may not be able to get on the road till tomorrow.
Planning on being at the Bella Vista Friday sometime. See ya.

I wish I were going.  I could use a getaway trip about now.

But I have to conserve available time off due to recent family situation and near future needs.

Even if that weren't an issue, I wouldn't have felt right going since my wife who is still with her folks 1,000 miles away, had to bail on her trip to FL with our daughter.

Have fun, but not too much !

RWulf:
  Looks like you might be the only one making it (besides me, that is). I hit rain coming north yesterday, but am checked in at the Bella Vista today, and barring the predicted rain tomorrow, will be heading back south. Hopefully I can pick a good window and get under it. Anyway- if you're not going to be here until tomorrow, I might miss you.
  Does this mean that this has now become a one day Roadstar rally?
Cafefill

Sorry I missed meeting some of you folks up there. It would have been fun. When I found out RWulf wasn't going to be there until yesterday, I begged out of my room, packed up, and spent a few hours riding around the area, then turned for home. I had forgotten how nice it is up there, so thanks for putting the bug in my ear to go anyway. Perhaps  next year will bring  me back, on a freshly rebuilt Concours.
  I haven't torn into the motor yet to determine why it grenaded 4300 miles into my trip in July, but two crashed spark plugs and oil in the exhaust can't be good. Nice thing is that I'm blessed with other riding choices, and don't need the bike to be on two wheels. Should make an interesting winter project, tho.
Cafefill

I'm bummed I didn't make it. Lord willing next year and hopefully get a few more in on this ride.
Hey cafefill, when you get into that engine let us know what went away I for one am very curious.
Also next weekend is the truck show in St. Ignace might ride up for it never been there before, any others interested maybe we can meet someplace for a meal or share the road for awhile. 

Hey all, sorry I could not do it this year. Maybe next year we will resurrect the Rendezvous. It has always been a good time in the past! Hope everything works out for your family Stan. Maybe I will see some of you at the Hunt for Red October in........October :)

2Fast said:
Hey all, sorry I could not do it this year. Maybe next year we will resurrect the Rendezvous. It has always been a good time in the past! Hope everything works out for your family Stan. Maybe I will see some of you at the Hunt for Red October in........October :)
Whats this a hunt for red october?

HFRO is on October 12-13, details below.

It's the signature end-of-the-season ride, so mark it down on your calendar.  We’ll meet for lunch around Noon on Saturday at the Sparta Family Restaurant (formerly the Country Kitchen) in Sparta, WI. After lunch, we'll ride a variety of great southwestern Wisconsin roads to Dodgeville. 

Dinner on Saturday night and “ride central” will again be at the Don Q Inn (800-666-7848 or 608-935-2321). They’ve generally set aside about 25 rooms for us at a special rate but will only hold them till September 1, so get your reservations in early.

We hope to keep the price of dinner at $20/person, but we're still negotiating with the caterer - Update to follow. The cost of the dinner will be collected in Dodgeville. If you're planning on attending the dinner banquet on Saturday night, please indicate this in the comment section when you register so we have an accurate headcount to provide the caterers.

If you RSVP for the dinner and later determine that you can't make it, please notify Dave McClurg as soon as possible. You will be asked to pay for the dinner if you RSVP and you don't show up (since we will be on the hook with the caterers).

Chicago to Sparta Group Ride.  We'll meet and depart at 7:00 AM from Steve Pronto's residence (1821 IL RT 176, Crystal Lake, IL 60014). ETA at the Country Kitchen in Sparta will be 11:30 AM. Please make sure to RSVP so we have an idea of how big the group will be. It would also be appreciated if you could contact Steve to let him know you're joining the group. Contact Steve Pronto with any questions regarding the Chicago Group ride.

Milwaukee to Sparta Group Ride.  The Milwaukee group will meet at the McDonald's in Delafield at 8:00 AM. We'll meet other riders on the north side of the Wisconsin River at the Merrimac Ferry at approx. 10:00 AM, before moving on to Sparta. Contact Dave McClurg with any questions regarding the Milwaukee Group ride.

Minnesota Group Ride to Sparta.  The Minnesota group will meet at the Perkins Restaurant in Stillwater at 7:30 AM for breakfast.  We'll depart for Sparta at 8:30 AM. Arrive earlier if you're interested in breakfast. Contact Randy Schafer with any questions regarding the Minnesota Group ride.