• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Counter Balancer Removal

Hi All, Been away for awhile. Has anybody done the counter balancer removal as suggested by Ron Anderson in the March 2002 Concourier? I found the article interesting, but never noticed a followup. Like the new web presence for COG. Patrick Doherty 1987 Concour

Sounds interesting. Can you give more details? The new web presense (official COG site) for COG was mentioned in the Concourier a couple of times; large articles. As a COG member you can visit the Library section and download past Concouriers (back to a certain point). Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250

This is the first I have ever heard it mentioned by anyone. Why would you remove the counterbalancer? And wouldnt you have to dismantle the engine to get to it?

It's really more of a harmonic damper. I doubt it would hurt to remove it, doing it would reduce rotational inertia; the engine would rev quicker. It would buzz worse, though.

Ron wrote a very convincing article demonstrating that the "buzz" was at exactly 2x engine rpm with an oscilloscope and vibration sensor. Further he made an argument that the counter balancer couldn't counteract any natural vibration from the engine and was in fact the source of the dreaded "buzz". He was in the midst of an engine rebuild that included having the crank shaft and rods balanced, the exhaust ported and the counter balancer removed. The article ended with a promise of a followup detailing the results of the mods, but I never saw one. The original article was in the March 2002 Concourier Volume 17 Issue 1. The library doesn't go back that far. 1987 Concour Cut down rifle,corbin seat,race tech springs+emulators,progressive shock

The article ended with a promise of a followup detailing the results of the mods, but I never saw one. Maybe because it didn't produce the desired result?

I elected to maintain the counterbalancer when I built my 1109 engine, however I used the counterweight from a zx11 as I have a significantly lighter reciprocating assy (each rod/ piston is 3.5 0z lighter) than a stock connie. I researched the removal, seems a number of zrx owners tried it with negligible effect, except for worse vibrations. the concensus was to leave it in. If you really want to get the vibes down, replace the stock rods and pistons with some lightweight parts. Shleper of the 7th gear unit and performance exhaust cam sprockets. My bike - "SHOODABEN" - 1109cc's of what an 04 concours "shoodaben"!