• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

cruise control

tjhess74

Street Cruiser
for those who dont have the audiovox cruise control and are thinking about getting it...do yourself a favor and get it! murphs has the best price and members here have great writeups. it takes time, but is really not that hard. my first trip with it on the c14 was the wrrr in western nc and it did great on the grades up there. this is my third bike with the audiovox cruise. Tom Hess North Charleston, SC COG #8406 IBA #30337 CDA #248 (C10) 97 c10 (former) 08 c14 (current)

I'm thinking about spending too much on the McCruise cruise control setup. I like the plug and play engineering!

I recently ran into an issue in the mountains using the AudioVox unit, when it ran out of vacuum. This was with all four throttle body vacuum ports connected to the AudioVox vacuum canister. It only seemed to happen at altitudes over about 5k or 6K ft and started working again once I descended in altitude. Personally, I think I would rather have an electric servo controlled unit, like the Rosta. I think it sells for about $150. I may switch over to it and give it a try. Fred H. Concours 1400 Maintenance Videos http://www.angelridevideos.com

I have used NEP's fancy dancy $20 unit for near 30 years; I investigate the higher priced units, and although they look nice, and seem to adjust speed accurately, I went back to what was comfortable to me. I use this throttle lock continuously whenever I drive. There is some modification needed; a tab to cut off but easy to do.

There are a few that I know of that have installed the Rosta with great results (on Vee Stroms). It's nice not having to locate the vac canister somewhere. More pricey but may be worth it. Keep in mind that with the Rosta you need to purchase the keypad seperately. Roger ('07 Wee Strom) COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA

I have the Audiovox on my 2005 C10 and it works great. Mounted control on right grip so it's on same side as my Harley. I used 3 of the vaccum ports to feed a handmade(out of plastic pipe) canister. Unit works great and you can increment up and down in 1/2 mile increments to syncronize with your riding buddies. My buddies also installed the Audiovox on theirs a 3 cyclinder Triumph and a FJR. Fantastic for runs to Smokies and Florida from North KY and South IN. Dave

I've got the Audiovox on my C-14 and like it very much, particularly for my longer days on the road. I have had it hooked up to three throttle body ports. I've not had a problem with reduced vacuum as Fred reported but the normal level of vacuum for an engine running at altitude, possibly at a high power demand, is lower. And, as he said, it functioned normally again at the lower altitudes. I had a McCruise on a previous K1100LT. Well engineered and it worked very smoothly. I just couldn't justify the expense for the C-14. I'm not familiar with the Rosta unit, so can not comment.

The Rostra is the only way to go at altitude. I replaced the Audiovox with the rostra a while back and would recommend it to everyone. Same MFG as audiovox units and less to fiddle with on the install. Uses the same key pad and no vacuume lines or canister to fool with. The price is higher but well worth it.

Well, I bought a Rostra a couple months ago, and took the Audiovox off after it acted up again in the mountains a second time. I like the Rostra quite a bit better. No vacuum lines to mess with, and it uses the speedo input instead of the tach, which makes it function a bit better and it holds the speed more constant and is less abrupt. In hind sight, I should have done this in the first place.

We have just recieved a new (to us) Audiovox Electronics cruise (same as the Rosta it seems) Still working on price. If your interested drop me a line at the store murph COG 2769 Industry Member

as soon as Gary has the Rostra version available, I'd be willing to do a swap/sale for the "original" AVCC and Vac Canister which I have still NIB, call me lazy, or whatever, but I never got around to doing the install on my C14, and seeing as the old AV unit is tried and true on the Old girl (86-06 Conni) someone might be interested in it... I ain't getting rid of it till the new one is here tho....
2550418850015463693SQtyXF_th.jpg
2897924420015463693CnEofH_th.jpg
Rich Riczinger COG 5977 Tech Editor,The Concourier

well, my ol pal Gary came thru with flying colors.... rostra unit in hand, and gonna go on as soon as i pull the plastic for my valve inspection.... I think he'll have these units up on the site shortly, they look real sweet "in hand", and seeing as it's a total solid state unit, and doesn't need vacuum... I posted my up in the 'forsale section" of the old forum.... I don't think the Rostra is the right choice for the old Conni though, I still think the AV unit is best suited for the Old Girl, as the rostra needs the speedo sensing (available on the C14) and not available on the C10.. I'll report back later...after install....
2550418850015463693SQtyXF_th.jpg
2897924420015463693CnEofH_th.jpg
Rich Riczinger COG 5977 JUSTAMEMBAHNOW