• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

(CT) Meet and Greet, with a ride, at Mystic Pizza in Mystic, CT 19 Oct 2013

B.D.F.

(CT) Meet & Greet with a ride afterward.

Just posted this in the calendar. The plan is to meet at noontime (12:00 PM) at Mystic Pizza, have lunch and then go for a ride on secondary roads north into CT and possibly into RI, then back to Mystic to have some much needed ice cream at the Mystic Drawbridge Ice Cream shop on the other end of town. Mystic is a neat little town and at this time of year we can actually park there and walk around without rubbing against eleven million tourists. Mystic Pizza is always excellent and a Cogger's delight- large portions, very reasonable prices and loaded with garlic and grease- YUM!

Here is a link to the calendar page.

The lunch will happen rain or shine but of course we'll skip the ride if it is actively raining.... unless some of you really want to go looking for patches of wet leaves.

Looking forward to seeing the usual suspects and hopefully a new face or two.

Brian

C'mon people, better sign up for this one before all the slots are gone! Down to 679 available attendees and that does not include Andrea, me or Mr. Elkhoof so really there are only (divide by 7, square the remainder, carry the 2....) 676 places left.

Brian

So, I Google Map "Mystic CT", to see how long a ride this would be, as I have to work the night before.  Just off the map center is the "Fish Cemetery".  I always just flushed my fish when they died.  Who knew there was actually a cemetery for them?

I'd love to come, but 6.5 hours total ride time just getting there and back, after a night of work, would be unsafe to say the least.  Sounds like it would be a great time, though.

Yeah, Mystic is about as far east as it gets in CT, which is pretty far from you as you mention. Darn logistics! Sorry you are not going to make it but I understand completely. Maybe we will see you at one of Bob's Newburgh thingies- I have not been to one of those all year and I owe him at least one before the weather gets too nasty.

Brian

Outback Jon said:
So, I Google Map "Mystic CT", to see how long a ride this would be, as I have to work the night before.  Just off the map center is the "Fish Cemetery".  I always just flushed my fish when they died.  Who knew there was actually a cemetery for them?

I'd love to come, but 6.5 hours total ride time just getting there and back, after a night of work, would be unsafe to say the least.  Sounds like it would be a great time, though.

I may try to pop out. I have been trying to make one out that way all year. But like John, it's a pretty long ride for me. But maybe. And there's always the cage as back up. Nothing like 5-6 hours for a slice of pizza. But one thing is for sure. If I ride out, it's probably no way I could do the extra riding. Heck, I probably can't do the getting there riding. Maybe the wife would want to go.  :-\

Absolutely bring Mrs. Bob and Bobette along- we'd love to see them as well as you! And the chow at Mystic Pizza really is very good although I don't know that it alone is worth a 5+ hour drive. But if you do come, forget the slice and get a small pizza for you (let Mrs. Bob and Bobette order for themselves); my personal favorite is the Meatsa Pizza. Not sure what kind of meat is on that thing other than bacon but there is a lot of it and it is outstanding. It would also the perfect poster for any heart surgeon's wall (yes Mr. Felice, this is what we found inside your coronary arteries.... along with 10 lbs. of dead cow, 14 lbs. of dead pig and two sticks of butter).

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
I may try to pop out. I have been trying to make one out that way all year. But like John, it's a pretty long ride for me. But maybe. And there's always the cage as back up. Nothing like 5-6 hours for a slice of pizza. But one thing is for sure. If I ride out, it's probably no way I could do the extra riding. Heck, I probably can't do the getting there riding. Maybe the wife would want to go.  :-\

C'mon people, only 675 slots left. You are going to wait until the last minute and then it might be too late....

Brian

Yep.  ;D  But at least there is no audio so it is not intrusive.

The other thing I find amusing is that all the pictures, photos and general 'nick- nacks' are screwed to the walls with sheet rock screws driven right through the frame. Seems that after the movie came out, stealing 'artifacts' from the restaurant became so popular that everything was disappearing. So the new mounting method is four (FOUR!) S.R. screws in everything. And the menus are small, tri- folded, cheap paper for the same reason- they could not keep menus in the restaurant so now they make them effectively disposable.

Uhmmmmm, I can taste the pizza now and am trying my best not to drool like Homer....

Brian

Cap'n Bob said:
Plan on watching parts of the never ending movie.  ;D

well, susan and i just got back from a failed attempt to attend the newburgh meet & greet!! sat in traffic for over an hour trying to get to the throgs neck and/or whitestone bridge!!! traffic was insane and would have been late to the party so we returned home. planning on taking the ferry across for this meet & greet for sure!! anyone have an idea as to which ferry we should book that will put us in mystic in time?

Not sure Roger- I think the ferries run every hour during the weekend. I am talking about the New London / Orient Point ferry here (the Cross Sound Ferry) but there is also another ferry about 1/2 way down L.I. that might work for you- it puts you far enough east in CT that you should miss most of the traffic, at least the horrendous traffic. It is the Port Jefferson ferry but I cannot tell you anything more about it as I have never used it.

If you do take the New London ferry, it lands in CT less than 10 miles from Mystic so the CT end of the ride will be very short. Not sure where you are starting from on the island but L.I. is about 110 miles long and Orient Point is absolutely at one end, and the L.I.E. has a pretty long reputation for enforcing the 55 MPH speed limit.

Looking forward to seeing you folks. Susan has deadly aim along with a quick 'catch and return' game- easily the best player yet in the 'COG toss'.  :rotflmao:

Brian

Roger M. said:
well, susan and i just got back from a failed attempt to attend the newburgh meet & greet!! sat in traffic for over an hour trying to get to the throgs neck and/or whitestone bridge!!! traffic was insane and would have been late to the party so we returned home. planning on taking the ferry across for this meet & greet for sure!! anyone have an idea as to which ferry we should book that will put us in mystic in time?

Great, thanx Brian. Probably take the port Jeff ferry. Susan wanted me to tell you she has been perfecting her "target acquisition" & is looking forward to trying her skills out in the "real world"!!  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Argh another family obligation will keep us from this one which is only an hour ride away. Have fun.

Have a slice for me folks! ;)

We'll be at my son's college family day celebrating all the money we're spending..... :'(

Had a fantastic 700 mile jaunt through the northern New England over the week-end.  Made it within 15-miles of home when rear tire went flat. Plugged it successfully and made it home. However, I don’t feel comfortable running the tire anymore. If I can find time to replace the tire this week, we’re still planning on attending, at least for the pizza part.

Glad you made it home OK.

You can always come to lunch in a .... car. That is what we plan on if it is actively raining on Sat.

Brian

gMitch said:
Had a fantastic 700 mile jaunt through the northern New England over the week-end.  Made it within 15-miles of home when rear tire went flat. Plugged it successfully and made it home. However, I don’t feel comfortable running the tire anymore. If I can find time to replace the tire this week, we’re still planning on attending, at least for the pizza part.

Looks like the weather is going to hold for Sat- the current forecast is 63F and -0- percent chance of precipitation. So for you folks sitting on the fence, now is the time to jump in 'cause there are only 671 spots left!

Brian

Great- looking forward to seeing all of you.

By the way: the ticket for the vehicle going on the ferry includes the rider's charge. When we went to L.I. a few weeks ago, one of us made a mistake and bought a ticket for 'the bike' and one for himself- the ferry folks refunded his money (both ways) and told him it happens all the time. So please be aware and make Chris aware if he is not already that the vehicle cost includes the driver / rider. It is a very easy mistake to make and somewhat expensive.

See you folks in a few days. Somewhere out there in the world, several farm animals are giving up their lives right now so that we can clog our arteries with their carcasses on Sat. Uhmmmmm. :)

Brian

Roger M. said:
awesome!! susan and i plan on meeting chris smith at the orient point ferry. going to catch the 10:00 ferry.  :beerchug:

lol, almost made that mistake brian!! reservations made & paid for. all set for saturday. see you on the set, i mean at the pizzaria.  :))

Looks like the weather is going to be good for this event. I'm not sure I can make it
due to my work schedule, since I'll be a last minute sign up I sure hope you'll have
1 space open for me.  ;)

This is the 25th anniversary of the movie as well so demand is going to be high. :13:

Come on people you better sign up before all the spots are gone.  :1rij:

Hi all, I just rejoined COG after a lapse in membership, its been a few years. I remember there used to be kind of a local CT COG group run by John Coller.
Steve Smith told me John is no longer part of COG, but I am wondering if there is still a local CT gathering of people? We used to get together almost weekly.

Thanks and hope someone knows!
;)

Well welcome back Penguin .  :great:  I do not think there are any weekly events going on. But you live in a pretty good spot for events in general. Obviously you already know about the Mystic Pizza M&G. Well there tends to be these types of activities around the NE. Although they tend to get less active going into winter, there are still events available.
    Just a quick look at the calendar of events can keep you fairly busy. For example, in a couple of weeks, there is the End of Year Social - Horseshoe Pub, Hudson, MA, as well as the Newburgh Meet & Greet in Newburgh NY. The down side is these are both on the same day.  :-[    But in mid riding season, it seems like there are possibilities almost weekly.

Great- looks like 15 signed up for tomorrow. See everyone there.

I asked for a big table and they will probably put us upstairs so if anyone comes in late and does not see anyone that looks like he / she may be COG material, ask the staff or just take a walk upstairs.

Brian

Ratsac said:
i will be attending,  i am coming from newtown. cant wait

Cap'n Bob, Sorry you can't make it today, Look forward to seeing you soon.

Got home from work @ 6:00 am, so time for a quick nap.
Then it's:
Bring Angel to doggie day care so she can play with some friends.
Take a nice ride to Mystic to have some great pizza and enjoy the company of cog friends.

It's going to be a great day!  :motonoises:

I'm out too....  we have family coming from NY today for a combined birthday party (wife & myself) and 1st wedding anniversary for my daughter. 

Steve,

:happybirthday3: to you and your wife and Congratulations to your
daughter & son in law on the 1st anniversary.

Enjoy your day, we will miss you.  :motonoises:

Pat and Sher in MA said:
Steve,

:happybirthday3: to you and your wife and Congratulations to your
daughter & son in law on the 1st anniversary.

Enjoy your day, we will miss you.  :motonoises:

:c017:

Steve,

Happy Birthday!  Too bad you couldn't make it though; ya' missed a good one (Meatza Pizza!  MMMmmmmm) :)  Hope to see ya' in Hudson next month!

Another great (and interesting) COG day. Great lunch with the usual suspects and a few new folks. And then there was the whole ride thing.... nothing bad happened really but it was unusual at the least.

We went from the restaurant to a parking lot one block west to meet up with several folks that had to park in that parking lot and that is where the trouble started. We did not get to the parking lot with everyone that we started with and it was only a couple hundred yards. Not really sure what happened there but the rest of us continued along knowing that some folks would be peeling off to go home along the way. Which they did... and then some. Seems we missed a few more folks; one we left while he was in the bathroom and another while he was getting fuel after he said he had plenty of fuel (??). But the funny thing is that we 'gained' people too; Coop dissipated before the ride even started only to reappear in front of us later on. And Chris, the gentleman who was 'indisposed' also turned up in front of us near the end of the ride- go figure. It was like an episode of The Twilight Zone- it turned out fine in the end but the middle was uncertain.  :eek:

So there were 16 of us for lunch and an unknown number for various portions of the ride that followed. Everyone seemed to have a great time although of course we did not have everyone's vote as not everyone was there for the tally.  ???    ;)

Brian

All was good with us, Karen and I peeled off at RT 164, we let Pat know we were good to go. Thanks for the meet and greet, it was a good time.

My vote is that it was a good time.  Even though we decided not to join the ride, we found some yummy smoked salt at the tea shop next to the ice cream place and has some delicious ice cream before we headed back home.

Thanks for setting this up Brian and Andrea!

Maryann

Hey, no problem on passing along that info- clearly I had lost control of the group LONG before David peeled off.... :)

Still, I think everyone had a good time and those we lost and rediscovered seemed amused by it so all is well. Besides, seeing as we were not riding anywhere anyway I guess efficiency really does not matter. Good thing 'cause that debacle was pretty inefficient. The worst part is I can hear Kirby laughing at me....  :-\

Brian

Pat and Sher in MA said:
Thanks to Brian & Andrea for putting this meet & greet together. The food was great and the company even better.
I made the first half of the ride and peeled off shortly after David, I forgot to tell Brian that David had already peeled
off when we stopped for gas, my bad.

Here is a link to the few pictures I took today

http://pat-sher.smugmug.com/CTRI-COG-meet-greet-10192013

MMMmmmmmm pizza

Well another awesome day, Thanks a bunch to All who joined us!!    :08:
Again thanks to Pat for great pic's, of course I really could do without those of me humiliating myself with the "telling of the Cat joke",  so maybe I'll just have to STOP doing that!! Ya think???
Seriously though thanks, always appreciate picture takers. 
Thanks also to Chris, Roger & Susan all came over by ferry from Long Island!

Though as Brian mentioned, the ride turned out a bit "haphazard"  :-[ we did manage to cover some wonderful roads, even more in the 2nd part I'd say, but I do hope everyone got to where they were going in the end.... Just sorry some of you managed to get "misplaced" along the way.  :rotflmao:
Ultimately, a perfectly wonderful, bright & sunny riding day was shared with lots of laughs along the way.

Here's some pics I took:
http://s1313.photobucket.com/user/arfelice/slideshow/Mystic%20Pizza-CT%20Meet%20and%20Greet?sort=6

Look forward to seeing many of you at the Habel's End of Season Bash in Hudson, MA in just a few weeks!!!!

Andrea
PS:  Happy Birthday Smith's...we missed you today!!

great time today as always is with this group.  :) great day, great food and great ride!! the ride home from the ferry was mostly rain but not terrible. at least now i dont need to wash the bike.  :D thank you brian and andrea for putting this together. can't wait for the end of season bash on november 9th. hope to see you all there!!  :beerchug:
p.s. happy birthday to steve and his wife. hope i get the oppertunity to meet you soon too.  :)

Thank you Brian and Andrea for a great day. Good food and nice back roads that i have never been on. Especially liked the fuel station near 95 ramp. made it back to newtown for daughters softball game.
andy

I also want to thank Brian and Andrea for putting this ride together........the leaves were at their color prime as we rode by ponds and lakes through Connecticut back roads......I think I jinxed my ride right at the beginning when I accidentally put my wife's name and phone number as emergency contact in another persons line on the sign-in sheet.....his wife got real curious about that!.....karma caught up with me when i was left in the bathroom and I got lost trying to reacquire the group.....ironically, and by accident, that did happen and we all had delicious ice cream to wind up the ride......all in all a terrific ride with great people.......at least my leg didn't go back home on the back of Brian's bike............Chris

Yay, so very glad to hear Andy I was hoping we hadn't lost another one!!! :-\  Also it was great meeting you and glad to hear you had a good time, hopefully we'll see you at the next one!

Andrea
Ratsac said:
Thank you Brian and Andrea for a great day. Good food and nice back roads that i have never been on. Especially liked the fuel station near 95 ramp. made it back to newtown for daughters softball game.
andy

I also want to say what a great "couples" turnout it was! For those of you may have read my article in the Concurier you know I am sort of tracking these numbers, not quite sure why....but I am :-[
We unfortunately did not get a pic of us "COG-ettes" but there were 5 couples out of 16 folks all together, that's 31%!  Love to see the ladies joining in!  :celebrate:

Till next time!
Andrea

Hate to revive a past meet & greet, but just wanted to share one of my Christmas gifts from susan. Since I never saw the movie......and it was COGger priced too!!!!!  :rotflmao:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 96
Too funny. And yep, that is COG priced right there but maybe if she waited just a bit longer.... it would have gone on sale :)

And it looks like an anti- theft device on the front, which is a bit funny in itself.

Brian

Roger M. said:
Hate to revive a past meet & greet, but just wanted to share one of my Christmas gifts from susan. Since I never saw the movie......and it was COGger priced too!!!!!  :rotflmao: