• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Cutting fairings for canyon cages

n3nman

About to install canyon cages on 2012 c14. I want to cut the fairings to allow removal without taking the cages off. Are folks just snipping the plastic piece  (then you just twist and flex them to get past the tube) or are they actually making a large enough notch to just pass the cage thru? Did not want to remove any more then needed.

When I cut mine I made the cut slightly smaller than the bars so that I have to bend the 'fin' just a bit to slide it over.

Was trying to think of away to cut them but then restore the integrity back. If it was a slot then I thought a small piece of rubber tube over it would make it more rigid again.

n3nman said:
Was trying to think of away to cut them but then restore the integrity back. If it was a slot then I thought a small piece of rubber tube over it would make it more rigid again.

I don't think they need "integrity back" after you cut them.
I don't notice any flex or movement because I cut them so I don't think any extra bracing is not needed because you cut a small section out.

I removed about ¾" using just a hack saw blade (no handle) and even cut them while
the Canyon Cages were on.  IMO it is harder to remove or install the plastics with the CC on, so I don't think I will be taking them on or off just for fun.  ;D

I used my Dremel tool with a small cut off blade, I cut just enough so the fairing piece slips over the Canyon Cage snuggly. Very easy to do  :beerchug:

Can someone pls post pics of the fairings cut? I'd like to do this soon with upcoming maintenance.

Thanks!

I used a Dremel as well and made the cut just slightly smaller than the bars. You can't ell a cut has been made when you get the fairing back in place.

Old thread but I am adding this photo to show where to cut. This is the back of the right fairings. I cut too high and now the green area between fins won't interlock with the black hook on the front middle fairing.

20230614_180205.jpg