• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

DANG IT!!! Sigh...

fourwayz

Moped
I HAD an issue with a "ruck, ruck, ruck" noise under power some weeks ago after a rear tire replacement. NOW at 25mph up OR downshifting there is a vibration I feel that may be the final drive. This cropped up two days ago inbound from a 70 mile jaunt. I checked the drive was properly filled, loosened and retightned the final drive and axle bolts to no avail. Maybe someone a bit more knowledgeable than me about the drive can chime in? IF I do need a replacement,  should the driveshaft be replaced as well?

Schleprock  :mad:

If it happened as soon as the tire was replaced, I'd suspect the tire, or some fault in the installation..  These final drives are pretty reliable.  Tread separation, out of round, unbalanced tire, etc.  Did you install the tire yourself or have a shop do it?  If a shop, I'd take it back to them and complain. 

Ok, I just read through the thread posted above and found some good info about troubleshooting. Being in the military, K.I.S.S. is very familiar as is Murphy's Law. To cut to the chase, is there a concrete method to mounting the rear wheel on this bike? I don't think this is rocket science and I thought I had done it "right". At each removal, I apply yamalube grease when I replace the wheel. So before I disassemble everything AGAIN, I want to be sure I am "doing it right" first, before tossing parts at it!

Fourwayz said:
Ok, I just read through the thread posted above and found some good info about troubleshooting. Being in the military, K.I.S.S. is very familiar as is Murphy's Law. To cut to the chase, is there a concrete method to mounting the rear wheel on this bike? I don't think this is rocket science and I thought I had done it "right". At each removal, I apply yamalube grease when I replace the wheel. So before I disassemble everything AGAIN, I want to be sure I am "doing it right" first, before tossing parts at it!

The rear tire removal and mounting is pretty standard.  Something that comes to my mind, is there is a large spacer(bushing) that has to go inside the hub when reinstalling the tire.  The axle runs through the rear dive into this bushing inside the hub and then through the opposite side.  When taking the tire off sometimes that bushing will fall out so it has to be put back in.  There also is small spacer between the wheel and swing arm.

IMG_0139-M.jpg

Thanks Fred, I have both of those spacers covered. I dinna miss a one. I'll look closely at the splines tomorrow morning as I have a dashboard in a minivan to put back together tonight. As for the tire, it was returned, dismounted then remounted an balanced at the shop where I purchased it.

Ok, took my time, and removed the tire, AND the cush drive. Cleaned and generously (not too much) lubed everything. From here out, I will remove and lube the race area INSIDE the cush plate as mine had "dry lube" that I had to scrape out. Lesson learned. I will ride it today and see if the rumble/vibration is still there after some miles.

Also check the rubber fender guard/liner at the front of the wheel well to be sure it didn't come loose and is rubbing the new tire.