• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

DL650 vs DR650 vs ???

ScottPhill

Training Wheels
I woke up this morning with a wild hair to get a bike with some off road capability.  I have that '09 Vulcan Lawn Tractor just sitting there gathering dust so I figured I may be able to trade it straight across for a couple year old bike.  I've never looked into a dual sport so all I know is the v-srtrom and the dr.  Is there a better one I'm missing?  I emailed a guy on CL this am who is offering an '09 DR650 w/3k miles for $3900 or trade.  Does that sound like a decent price?

Scott,

I just looked up the value (for my area) on the DR650E. It listed it at about $2,800-$2,900 for trade in, and about $4,200 for retail. So the $3,900 doesn't seem out of line. It doesn't sound overly used with only 3,000 miles on it. As long as it hasn't been beaten as a trail bike. But if it's been cared for, it sounds decent. My buddy has a DR650 and it's a great bike. But it's more dual sport than the DL650 V strom.
I guess it depends on what your need are. If it's just to run around town and play off road. The DR is a great bike. But if it's more for on road that you may ride dirt roads and trails once and a while. The V strom may be the better choice.  Personally I like the DL better, because I'm not that much into off road riding anymore. (I was when younger) So a DL650 V strom ABS would be my choice. But it's not about me!
One thing to keep in mind also is that your Vulcan is probably worth $1,000 or more than the DR650! So the DR guy make jump on that if he wants a cruiser!

Bob

He's already asked to meet today so he may be interested in the cruiser.  You know what my on-road bike is, Connie isn't going anywhere.  It just seemed like a waste to have a cruiser sitting in the garage I'll never ride, and I've never tried offroad.  I figure that $1k difference in value will help me make a quick deal for little or no cash involved. 

I see one of the local dealers has an '05 DL650 for $4k w/13k miles.  I may go check that out if the DR650 falls through.  I really like the sound of the simplicity of the DR tho, I already have one complicated bike to deal with!

DR650 it is!

IMG_10501.jpg

Congrats Scott. It looks to be in great shape. I hope you have a lot of fun with it. Like I said earlier. They are great bikes!  :)

DR650: Good choice for a dual sport.
IMO the DL650 is not a dual sport but an adventure bike. Riding one 14k mi in AU it was an excellent adv bike. BUT in a mere few inches of sand the front wheel was death defying and I could not keep the bike going straight. I have ridden dual sport and off road for years.