• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Do you think KIPASS will stop theft?

Cap'n Bob

I saw this on the news tonight. Amazing how fast your bike can be gone. They may have a little more trouble with a sport tour. But probably not much. The good news is that sport tours tend not to be anywhere near the targets like sport bikes and Harley's!

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/04/27/gang-of-thieves-stealing-motorcycles-right-off-manhattan-streets/

ProfessorKonk said:
1]  Don't live in big cities
2]  Get a carry permit :)
3]  Learn to hit moving targets.

NJ Gun Laws are draconian. Getting a carry permit is next to impossible. I trust in God and make sure my insurance is paid in full each year.

Nope and neither will a gun.  Big freakin' alarm might give them pause for thought.  Best to keep it inside.  A hunderd or so years ago, I parked my pretty damn new KZ650 in a doctor's office parking lot with lotsa other cars in Hartford in the middle of a sunny afternoon.  Came out of my appointment and the bike was gone.  Hadn't bothered with the fork lock and the dirtbag hotwired it.  Eventually got it back damaged.  Bought a Kyptonite U-Bolt and used it after that.  Still got the U-Bolt but don't use it plus I have a few hundred bucks in plain sight in farkles.  Been thinking about getting a disc lock and eventually getting around to installing the alarm system I bought for it last year.  In the meantime, I stay the hell out of cities.  'Bout that KiPass, they ain't gonna hotwire it and ride it away but that may also be true for most of the newer bikes with 'puters.  Also, a 800lb bike is a little harder to muscle around. :ecomcity:

Bourne2Ride said:
NJ Gun Laws are draconian. Getting a carry permit is next to impossible. I trust in God and make sure my insurance is paid in full each year.

Been to Canada lately?

BJ_CT said:
  Also, a 800lb bike is a little harder to muscle around. :ecomcity:

Bruce, did you add over a 100lbs in farkles?  I know that Corbin is heavier than the OEM seat, but not by that much!  :)

There is IMO, much less a demand for stealing sport tours. I don't think there is anywhere near a demand for parts like sport bikes and Harley's. SO the odds of them targeting your C14 is greatly reduced. Just don't run out and buy a GSXR or Fatboy! Then you'll really have to watch the bike!!!!

Added a fully outfitted garage in the right saddle bag, way (no pun intended) over the weight limit.  Also, I figure those scuff marks and scratches will be a big turnoff to thieves causing them to just walk away in disgust. :-[

BJ the dealer told me to mount the  bike like a horse step on the left peg and lift yourself up and over and dismount the same way no kicking the bags that way.