• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Drama of the lost fob (Kawasaki says your incorrect)

Olds7268

So I finally got a call from the shop. As a recap my key fob burned up in an automobile fire in a car that only had liability insurance. I bought a used KIPASS unit with a fob that was registered to it on ebay.took it to a shop that could not get anything done with it. I then took it to Big st. Charles Motorsports where it is right now. They told me that the previous shop had screwed the ignition switch up so I ordered another off of eBay and took to them. Two weeks later I get a call that hey you cannot use a used KIPASS unit because the bike registers with the original e c m so now they're telling me I have to have an e c m as well that is registered with the KIPASS ecm. Basically they're saying I have to buy a new ECM and KIPASS ECM. I am at the end of my rope and have no more money to throw at this. Can someone who knows please tell me if I have another option.

I am no expert, but having read the KPASS pages multiple times, it is my understanding that Big St. Charles Motorsport is correct. With an old fob you can create a duplicate. But without a single fob you need a new ECU in addition to a new matching set of fobs to get her running again. I am truly sorry for you bro!

A note about Big St. Charles Motorsport: Their front line employees appear to me to be very lazy. Not all of them. But enough of them to be very noticeable. It is not confidence inspiring. I have avoided bringing them some mechanical work just because I don't want to pay the 'we're so f****** cool we can stay on our smoke break all afternoon" price overhead.

I agree with your assessment of BSCM. Can never get them to return phone calls and they do not call you when they tell you they will. Also I can't figure out why they told me that I needed the ignition and let me buy it and ship it to them to put on knowing that it still wouldn't work.

Last edited:
I'm in Mountain Home Arkansas
Just a little over 4 hours from me. The motorcycle Tech at the shop is going to go over things one more time and if he cannot get anything done I will possibly be in contact with you I'm not afraid to drive 4 hours to get this taken care of. I really appreciate everyone's help. I just want to get back on my bike while I still have enough Health to do it.

Simple question... If the active fob burned up in the car why not just use the passive to start the bike? If you have the passive you can also buy a new active fob and have it programmed. You can even buy a new passive and get it programmed so you have a spare.

Now if you only had the one fob, active or passive then you screwed your own pooch. Only having one is always going to lead to new units and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ IF YOU ARE OUT THERE AND ONLY HAVE ONE FOB.... your next.

I was trying to locate his orginal posting. I thought both hus active and passive were destriyed by the car fire...

Just saw this discussion and admit I haven't read thru it completely.
ie; Have only a little time and have a question.

I have 2 FOBs from a 2013 Connie.
I own a 2014 C-14 and have the original FOB.
Can my original 2014 FOB be used to re-program the 2013 FOBs for use on my bike?
If yes, who can do it for me?

Ride safe, Ted

Just saw this discussion and admit I haven't read thru it completely.
ie; Have only a little time and have a question.

I have 2 FOBs from a 2013 Connie.
I own a 2014 C-14 and have the original FOB.
Can my original 2014 FOB be used to re-program the 2013 FOBs for use on my bike?
If yes, who can do it for me?

Ride safe, Ted
followin

The fob is only works if you have it's original code and the bike in question has a working fob

dgold is correct. The active fob that comes with a new bike does not come with its ID code. Spare fobs bought from Kaw come with its ID code printed on the little bag it comes in and is entered into the bike's KIPASS ECU to register it to the bike. Once that ID number is saved in the ECU it is not identifiable. If the little bag is retained, that fob could be used on another bike, otherwise it is almost useless - however the passive part of any active fob can be registered to any bike because it does not require an ID code to do so. A dealer or private individual with KDS and the know-how can do this.