• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Drive Way Drop

mahd776

Big Wheel
Was wondering when this was going to happen. With 12,000 miles riding in the last year with no drops it happened today. Got off work and rode into heavy rain on my 50 mile commute home from work. No problem with that and run with the flow of traffic. Turned into the end of my driveway and hit my flash to pass garage door opener. It did not open so I started to stop and next thing I know the bike is going over to the right. Not sure what happened. May have stopped to quickly while still turning a bit or my right foot may have slid on some pea gravel. Anyway there was no way I was going to hold it as it was to far over and I just eased it to the ground. Was very lucky that I was all but stopped and damage was very slight. A little scuff on the black part of the mirror, lower fairing and edge of the bottom of the right bag. Hardly any noticeable scratches in the silver and a small scuff on the front muffler silver trim. No broken plastic and really no need to touch anything up! Hope this is the last one! I am assuming that this will earn me a CDA award number! The bike is a 2008 C14 called Ziggy Von Zoom Zoom or Zig for short. Wife names everything with a engine! My name is Michael Hedden. Drop occured 7/12/2010 at about 16:35. My COG number is 8710. Lesson learned. Your driveway can be as hazardous as the open road!

Sounds like standard fair. We all been there done that. I made it about two year before my first. Now I am up to three. All nice easy help downs, two of which were just stopped to hard while front not str8 Photos[/url]

Yep - done it twice - first in the driveway, the second doing a U-Turn which was interrupted by the neighborhood mutt. Got my CDA the first time, and the second time I was able to ease it down so softly I couldn't see any damage. Of all the ways it could happen, that's probably the easiest. Sorry to hear it, but at least its over with.

Mike, CDA0328. Welcome to the CDA club! Glad to hear the damage was very minimal. If you were still in the turn, hit the front brakes; then a good chance that's what caused it. Then again the other factors you listed are possible. At parking lot speeds I exclusively use the rear brake which helps stabilize the bike. Greg H from Mass Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle" 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Sorry for your drop, Mike. Isn't that a horrible feeling when you know you've gone past the point of "I just can't stop this thing!". I'm glad the damage was slight, and you're back to riding again. I hope you're having a better week this week.

One of my tip overs on the C10, was sitting in the garage putting my helmet on. Wasn't even moving. Over it went. Talk about "not sure what happened". I of course looked all around for who sneaked into the garage and pushed. Like you, I caught it, but there was no way I could hold it. Set her down gently. 2003 Concours, 63K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://home.comcast.net/~slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg