• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Driveline Lash

John C

Tricycle
I rode a 2009 C14 yesterday with 9000 miles as a demo bike as I contemplate a 2011 ABS as my next bike.  The one issue I encountered was to me a lot of driveline lash, especially in low gears at low power setting.  My current bike is a BMW R850R I've had since new in 1996 and the only other bike I've ridden with more lash was a BMW 800 cc sport bile I had as a loaner while my BMW was in the shop, again noticed in around town riding.

Don't know if what I am feeling is a lack of technique on a new to me bike, or do owners notice this as well?

Thanks,

John C

The only thing I noticed in the line of lash was caused by the throttle adjustment. And the throttle gets more touchy if you perform the "flyectomy" that a lot of people do for more low end power.

Thanks for the responses.  I rode a new 2011 this am, and did not notice ANY driveline lash.

So I bought one  8).  Pick it up this afternoon or tomorrow am.

John C

John C said:
Thanks for the responses.  I rode a new 2011 this am, and did not notice ANY driveline lash.

So I bought one  8).  Pick it up this afternoon or tomorrow am.

John C

Congrats John!  8)

I find it interesting you say this. I test rode a demo BMW K1600GTL this week, and found the drive line lash in it to be the worst I've ever seen on any bike. By comparison, my 2010 Concours has almost none.

I agree with others, it is not driveline lash you are feeling.  The throttle on/off adjustment needs to be made.  We have seen a lot of this and simply taking the "slop" out of the cable rectifies the problem.

Congrats on the new ride. . . buying the '11 is just plain smart! What color? Post some pics before it get coated in bugs.

Question on the color...it's BLACK  8) !!  Just had the 600 mile check made and all's well....except it's raining  :'( and I can't ride!  Only other thing I've encountered is a 'loose' feel in the front end when braking at low speeds.  It's like something in the brakes is moving, especially if I pulse the brakes.  Could be another uniqueness if the C14!

John C

Awesome and congrats on the new ride.

BTW...it's okay to take it out in the rain. ;) I've ridden rain or shine since getting my 2011.  ;D

I know it's OK, but I've become an old, fair weather rider for the most part.  When it's 45F and raining, I'll stay home!  I know if I don't get rained on a couple of times a year, I'm not riding enough, and I've got sprinkled on the C14 already!  Fortunately, the bike shop washed it as part of the 600 mile check.

John C

I had a funny loose feeling in my front end when I bought mine. I thought it was the head bearings. Dealer mechanic said no. I thought it was sticktion of the front forks. Nope, not that either. Turned out to be a loose nut/bolt in the center of the upper clamp. Pull off the rubber plug and you'll see it's a large hex. Torqued it to spec, looseness gone.

Kenny said:
I had a funny loose feeling in my front end when I bought mine. I thought it was the head bearings. Dealer mechanic said no. I thought it was sticktion of the front forks. Nope, not that either. Turned out to be a loose nut/bolt in the center of the upper clamp. Pull off the rubber plug and you'll see it's a large hex. Torqued it to spec, looseness gone.

Wouldn't that still kind of be like the head bearings, since the nut holds the head bearings tight and in place?