• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Emergency Identification

Cap'n Bob

I think I posted something like this before. But I feel that it's important to have emergency information easily available on you in the event of tragedy. I tend to have something on me when riding with my name, address, phone number and emergency contact and number. Medical info is also desirable on something like this.
I have posted this link in threads before. But I figured that now that riding will play less of a part in a lot of our lives in the coming season. It may be a good time to think about something like this. So anyway, check out these Road ID items they make. Maybe one will work for you. But hopefully you'll never need it.

http://www.roadid.com/Common/Catalog.aspx?C=RoadID

I got a buddy who has tatoo'd the names of his emergency contacts on his torso.  He's going to be adding one on his front that shows Murph's fairing screw diagram so we don't get things mixed up on the road - 2 birds with 1 stone eh?

hitman-tattoos.jpg

handyman said:
Road ID is really good. I use that when cycling. This is also a good method to capture your data and place it on the rear section of your helmet along the bottom edge. Allows faster access to information when your laying in the road taking that unplanned 'nap'.

http://www.whitehorsegear.com/medical-information-carrier-system
+1 here on the White Horse Gear tag.  It has spaces for the most important info.  PLUS, if anyone has any allergies or special medical needs info that firt responders need they really ought to consider a bracelet or dog tags for that in addition to something like this.  I know on a wild looking helmet, this tag on the back can be pretty demure in appearance and not be noticed.  If you put it on the side or chin bar of a full face unit it becomes incredibly obvious.

I spent $4.00 at the local Petsmart and made a "dogtag" with my ICE information.

Its shiny and makes jingling sounds when I move! 

However the collar is a bit too tight and my neighbor gets a little worried everytime I lift my leg............ :motonoises:

Well, well, well.  This thread is certainly proof that no one reads my column in CONCOURIER.  I refer of course to my article on page 18 in the Summer edition (volume 22, no. 3 Summer 2011) titled "The 3"X5" Livesaver.  :'(  :p  Whitehorse Press also sells one that attaches to your helmet; they are $1.99, six for $10.00.  I buy them six at a time and give them to people I meet.

There are some people on this forum who do not have access to the Concourier, since they are Forum only members!  :-*

I know that many are forum only members but every poster (except 1) are COG members (inlcuding the OP).  ??? ;)

Jim, I still don't see how this thread proves someone/no one read your article.  And do you think your article was the definitive word on Emergency Identification?  C'mon, bro.  Your article was/is good (they always are and I DO read them) and everyone NEEDS to read it, but this thread is also useful and allows for a common exchange of ideas between folks who may or may not have read the article or simply may not have it close at hand.

Can we really talk about safety topics too much?

I was pretty much just funnin' Bob, et.al.  I just found it amusing that it came up again so soon.  It's a valid topic and I'm glad it's being discussed (do kinda wish my column had at least been cited though).

Gotcha.  Forgive my conclusion jumping.  Ya know I read the article, but probably need to read it another ten times to make most of it sink in.  I personally use the WHite Horse little stick-on dealy-whoopers and yet also worry about it being knocked off in a crash (as well as the tiny writing getting messed up by weather over time).  I wonder how good EMTs really are at spotting those things too. I know they are always looking for the Medi-Alert brecelets and necklaces.  Keeping a laminated card or two (or even twenty of them) might make all the difference in how they treat your injuries immediately.  It COULD be the most important thing any of us ever write down I suppose.

I DO like the dog tag idea, but doubt I would be very faithful in wearing them.  Hmm.

In addition to the Whitehorse dealies, I wear a clear plastic "pocket" on my arm (available from Aerostitch) with the same info. Additionally, I have the same info in my wallet "cause an EMT once told me "The first thing we'll go for is the wallet."  I told him I don't carry any cash in my wallet so he was wasting his time but he failed to see the (attempt at) humor in my remark. :-[

Ranger Jim said:
In addition to the Whitehorse dealies, I wear a clear plastic "pocket" on my arm (available from Aerostitch) with the same info. Additionally, I have the same info in my wallet "cause an EMT once told me "The first thing we'll go for is the wallet."  I told him I don't carry any cash in my wallet so he was wasting his time but he failed to see the (attempt at) humor in my remark. :-[

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I wonder if they'd wresltle for it or just flip a coin?

Rev Ryder said:
Ranger Jim said:

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
I wonder if they'd wresltle for it or just flip a coin?

Your bad!  :))