• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Extra Keys

razorsedge

Scooter
I've tried to do a search on trying to find out where do we get extra keys for our saddle bags ? None of the key makers around here can make one. Do we have to order them or what ? Thanks for the help

Randy

I believe someone found a blank that works and posted it on one of the forums, but I don't remember what blank it was.

From the C14 parts directory:

Keys

Key Blank - ILCO KW14R  Note: Double check your keys and this information. There seems to be two types of keys, beginning with either an "A" or "B". If you have an "A" key it should be a "KW14R" key-blank.  If you have a "B"  key, it should be an "KW14" key-blank. This was true on the 2008. But I'm not sure how they may be on newer models (so double check).
http://www.mysecuritypro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=663
Another key blank is an ilco X254. I used this on my 08. I do not remember if I had an A or B key.

Cap'n Bob said:

Keys

Key Blank - ILCO KW14R  Note: Double check your keys and this information. There seems to be two types of keys, beginning with either an "A" or "B". If you have an "A" key it should be a "KW14R" key-blank.  If you have a "B"  key, it should be an "KW14" key-blank. This was true on the 2008. But I'm not sure how they may be on newer models (so double check).
Another key blank is an ilco X254. I used this on my 08. I do not remember if I had an A or B key.

Isn't that what I said? ;D

I went to the local full service hardware store and they could cut a spare key IF they had a blank, which they didn't.

NEXT stop was to a "locksmith" and they were able to match up a blank and cut some spares.  Luckily I rode there, as there was a bit of adjustment needed, but they were able to make the spares.

Interestingly, the "main" locksmith was not there until AFTER the spares were made.  The partner used a blank that worked, but the main guy suggested a different one that would not have needed the "adjusting".

ANYWAY, a "locksmith" would more than likely be able to make spares WITHOUT needing to order Kawasaki blanks.

My bike is a 2011.

Peter

MrPepsi said:
Cap'n Bob said:

Keys

Isn't that what I said? ;D

My apologies Brent. I really didn't read the whole thread. Yes guilty!  I was trying to quickly answer. I was sneaking in some forum time.  ::)

Trouble said:
I've tried to do a search on trying to find out where do we get extra keys for our saddle bags ? None of the key makers around here can make one. Do we have to order them or what ? Thanks for the help

Randy

rANDY,
  My local locksmith had the blanks (Ilco X254) and cut 4 keys for me.  I used radio shack knobs to make key knobs for my bags. 
IMG_2723.jpg

My local locksmith (a real pro, 20 years in the biz) made a copy of my fob key using an Ilco X259 blank. It was $3.50.

He also told me to write down the code on my fob key because he could use a special machine to make more keys if I lost them all.
That one would be $25. On mine--2011 C14--the code is Bxxxxxx (B & 6 numbers). If I lost the fob, however, he couldn't help me.

Jay said:
He also told me to write down the code on my fob key because he could use a special machine that to make more keys if I lost them all.

It would be tough to lose the stove knob.

MrPepsi said:
Jay said:
He also told me to write down the code on my fob key because he could use a special machine to make more keys if I lost them all.

It would be tough to lose the stove knob.

But easy to break it off in the keyhole while in a rage after losing your other keys.  :-\

Not likely going to need a coded replacement but I figured it was good info to pass on.

Order three blanks. Got them today. One for my tank bag, one for my pocket and one for my wife who reminds me she has NEVER lost  or misplaces anything!!  :nananana:

Cap'n Bob said:
Goldwing Radio knobs work pretty good for making saddle bag key/knobs as well.
[/quo
I'm sure there are tons of options for knobs, the GW knobs may cause your frame to crack. :)