• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Favorite Chrome Platers

gbyoung2

Anyone have a (bright) chrome plater in their area they can recommend that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg for a small onesie - twosie job?

I’d like to get the below exhaust covers (and their matching clamps) done in bright chrome to allow them to blend in with the bright finish of the Delkevic pipes where they slip in to cover the junction with the exhaust headers.

They don’t need to be show quality, but I would like a decent job without any flaws that are readily apparent – if that makes sense.

Not trying to create a show bike, but just thought it would be a nice touch to a technically, vintage machine that’s still on the road.

IMG_1081-L.jpg

IMG_1080-L.jpg

????

Last edited:
Just a thought.....a group deal. Appears you are ready to get it done Guy, and the group thing may slow it down. As I said it's just a thought. I would be a participant with the same parts.

I took my headers to JetHot
Think they came out good.
Ceramic coated and been holding up well for 4 years
View attachment 34631View attachment 34632
Those do look nice. I've always been a little leery of that process for fear of it cracking off. I mean, it is supposed to be ceramic-based and ceramic is known to be brittle.

Just a thought.....a group deal. Appears you are ready to get it done Guy, and the group thing may slow it down. As I said it's just a thought. I would be a participant with the same parts.

A group deal might work with a group buy of a particular item (or items). In this instance, it's a process that requires for all the parties to get their items in for them to even begin and make it worth their while. Yes, it could certainly slow things down.

A good thought, but think I prefer to go alone on this one. Trust you understand.

Check out Browns Plating in Paducah KY, I had them plate some bike parts in 1980 or 81 & they're still in business. Being in business for over 40 years that's gotta mean something

Check out Browns Plating in Paducah KY, I had them plate some bike parts in 1980 or 81 & they're still in business. Being in business for over 40 years that's gotta mean something
Looks like they've gone out of business - but thanks for the suggestion.

"Over the past few weeks The Cycle Source office has been receiving a rash of desperate phone calls from builders looking to resource their chrome plating needs. Two major sources of Chrome Plating service providers: Browns of Paducah, KY and Chrome Masters have gone out of business since the beginning of the year. With the rumor on the street being that heightened EPA restrictions caused the owners of these facilities to pull out of the industry, we made a quick phone call to Ronnie Brown to find out first hand.

"Unfortunately for so many of us Brown’s has gone out of business but Ronnie assured me it had nothing to do with the EPA and was a family decision to close this second generation business that has spanned 46 years of service to the custom industry. Don, Ronnie’s father and his twin brother Donnie started the business together and Ronnie told me that at 60 years of age now they are just too old to stay with it. The EPA has always been tough but Brown’s had consistently been a model shop that was even used as an example to teach other operations how to stay in compliance. It’s a sad day for the bike guys who will remember that Brown’s was doing chrome on bikes even before it was cool to chrome parts for them. Ronnie said that in the end he feels that people are about over the flat and dull phase and chrome is coming back. It will be interesting for this writer to see just where they all end up… to get their shine on."

Last edited:
Those do look nice. I've always been a little leery of that process for fear of it cracking off. I mean, it is supposed to be ceramic-based and ceramic is known to be brittle.
Been on the bike going on 3.5 years and 11,000 miles. Never had any issues and they do have a lifetime warranty

Been on the bike going on 3.5 years and 11,000 miles. Never had any issues and they do have a lifetime warranty
I did get a quote back from them, but nothing back from Murph's place yet. It's a holiday w/e, so may have to wait until next week for a reply. I do suspect that the Jet Hot price will be lower than plating. We shall see.

I did get a quote back from them, but nothing back from Murph's place yet. It's a holiday w/e, so may have to wait until next week for a reply. I do suspect that the Jet Hot price will be lower than plating. We shall see.

Late follow up: Never did hear anything back from Murph's place, and the quote from Jet Hot kept changing (wanted to charge me for stripping off the OEM finish...... even after basing their original, lower quote on the pictures I had sent them). Rather than deal with that, I just bowed out.

Guess we'll just live with what I have.

Don't recall the brand.
Top looked like chrome and the also had gold with a top that was just as shiny.
Unfortunately no RED.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I recently bought some "Chrome" Silver paint.
Thats always been know as "briarchrome" around here. My dad and grandpa used it extensively on some of their early racing contraptions back in the 50's. And on the "Cabanus"..... A '46 international schoolbus upgraded with a i6 chevy. I believe it was ohv.