• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Favorite Second Bike

Okay Coggers,

I love my Connie, but am hankering for something a little smaller to commute on (Beaverton, OR to downtown Portland) that gets better gas mileage.  Right now the big monster is getting around 35 to 38 mpg in town.  That's great, beats the heck out of my Mustang GT mpgs, but could be better.  I've read through the Ninja 250 thread, and it is a possibility.  However, I am thinking something vintage...maybe 500cc to 750cc max.

I've been burnin' up Craigslist for awhile just seeing what is out there.  Some other bikes I am considering:

Yamaha  XS
Yamaha Seca
Honda CB 550/650/750
Honda CX500

The one bike I keep coming back to time and again, though, is the Honda Nighthawk 700SC 1983(?) to 1986, the '86 apparently the best of them all.  I am particularly fond of the Blue/Black combination.

So, let me know what you think!

My wife rides a 750 Honda V4 Magna.  She gets 56+ mpg most of the time.  But these bikes are getting pretty old and parts are getting slimmer daily.  What you save on gas might not be worth it.  Hers also has the tire sizing problems that the C10 has.  there are not a lot of tire options. That's certainly something to consider with "vintage."

I ride an '89 Honda TransAlp on "other" days.  It is a fun bike but they are becoming scarce.  I also really enjoy my '08 KLR 685 - the Alaska bike.

Yamaha Radian? Semi-Vintage, 600cc, light, quick steering (16" front wheel), nice mid-range punch, about 60+ HP, 50Mpg +/-, slick 6 speed. Fabricate a rack and stick a trunk on it. Had mine for 18+ years, bought it new.  Actually rode it to work today. Of the 36 motorcycles I have had over the years, it is my favorite, even over the (gasp!) Connie! There's always a big grin under the full face every time I ride it.

My connie is the 'second bike'  I am looking for a third... KLR650, but I keep getting the VETO from the budget committee (aka the wife)

KLR650 defintely  :72:    Having an adv bike opens up new experiences... on a budget as well.  8)
On my 2nd KLR. Once past the underwhelming power it is a blast  :D
"somebody' said it is more fun to ride a slow bike fast than attemtping to ride a fast bike fast or slow.
I have done a 6400 mile ride on the '00 KLR and it did it even if my butt complained. My '08 has less vibration and more wind protection for the hwy.

Yeah, at this point in time. My Concours (silver dammit) is my third bike. She is IMO, an antique now being an 86. And still is original with less than 12K miles original. So I don't want to beat her up too bad.
My other two of course are the FJR and my Mean Streak. And I will say that I really love my bikes. I love the change of riding pleasure the two also provide. It all depends on your mood.

My favorite "2nd" bike is my Kawasaki W650 (retro-style, quasi-Triumph looking, 2 cylinder 650); light, fast enough, 50-55 mpg. 8)  Next would be my GL1800 GoldWing (for two-up touring it's my wife's first choice, probably mine too if I'm truly honest) :-\.  After that would be my KLR 650 (which is currently for sale per CFO directive; she says 4 bikes are too many ???)

If I could convince my wife to let me get a second bike, I've been checking out the Piaggio MP3 500 http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooters.html#!s=overview/mp3-500. I realize it's not a motorcycle but it looks like a fun ride, very frugal on gas (by motorcycle standards, not by scooter standards), and powerful enough to keep up with traffic on the freeway.

Besides, I wouldn't mind looking like Mad Max on a scooter.  :hee20hee20hee:

Big Poppa said:
If I could convince my wife to let me get a second bike, I've been checking out the Piaggio MP3 500 http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooters.html#!s=overview/mp3-500. I realize it's not a motorcycle but it looks like a fun ride, very frugal on gas (by motorcycle standards, not by scooter standards), and powerful enough to keep up with traffic on the freeway.

Every review I read on those was very good. They say that they handle like they're on rails!

Try a Honda Superhawk.  ;D

I've been partial to the newer CB750's, but if you want something sporty but not "sport", try a 650 ninja or Suzuki SV650S.  Fuel mileage should be at least in the low to mid 50s.

Attachments

• RA 011a.jpg
    RA 011a.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 92
KLR 650.  I actually owned this one first and bought the Concours 2nd.  I try to be fair and give them both equal time.

Ethan
Denver, CO

2006 KLR 650
1995 Concours
2005 Ford F-250
2007 Ford Freestyle
1985 Jeep CJ-5

Hard to choose #2

Attachments

• Better H1.jpg
    Better H1.jpg
    589.6 KB · Views: 112
  • busa.jpg
    busa.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 106
My 'first' bike is still my 'first' bike.
I have a '77/'78 Kawasaki KZ650B which was originally a Cafe Racer.
The original owner didn't like the cowling and made it into a touring thing.
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/ncroaster/CIMG0037.jpg
After an exhausting process and even more money than my sailboat can eat in a season...I restored her to the original grandeur she once had, even with the 1955 Chevy Bel Air blue paint at $239/pint!!!. So its sort of a cool run around town old school bike.
She plays well with Connie. :coffee2:
http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc513/ncroaster/PRE_2011-04-24-193208.jpg

I am pretty much over the vintage bike thing......sold my 78XS11 and 73 Triumph Trident a couple of years ago. Not sure which is my second bike, but my other big bike is a Vstrom 1000. I like em both for different reasons.  The only under powered stuff I have left is a handfull of 50cc machines from days gone by. They are mainly garage candy.

Still a garage queen!
1985 Honda VF1100S (Sabre)
Rated 121hp at crank. Will leave Connie in the dust. Improved handling with radial tires.

My girl got a ninja 250 for a first bike and I got to ride it home (80 mile ride some interstate but mostly highway) and that little thing will get up and go!  Its not got a lot of torque, but it doesnt redline til 14k so you can twist the throttle.  Everyone raves about the KLR i'd really like to try one.  For me though,  I wish I would have never sold my vstar 1100.  I too love vintage bikes though.  there are just so many out there I suggest buying/trading every year :)

Thanks for that comment Bob.
I had  the Sabre in the IMS show in Seattle two years ago in the Soundrider exhibit. Nice to show it off. Even more to ride it!
Most people don't know of these 'older' bikes and think of the later Sabre version that is a cruiser.

Cap'n Bob said:
Wow Dan, that Sabre looks like new!

danodemotoman said:

Still a garage queen!
1985 Honda VF1100S (Sabre)
Rated 121hp at crank. Will leave Connie in the dust. Improved handling with radial tires.

wow, beatuful bike there Dan - I always really liked those bikes -  Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
  wow, beatuful bike there Dan - I always really liked those bikes -  Steve

Yeah, I'm wishin' I had that scooter and Danno had a car tire on his bike.  :) 
The V45-65 fours were awesome powerplants for their day... heck, for today they ain't shabby.  That Sabre looks simply amazing.  I love it. VROOM!

Ugh, what a tug 'o war it was to get those carbs off those old intake boots.  :mad:  I sure did order new boots.  The bike had sat for maybe 5 years since late brother Mark had ridden it. The pilot jets had clogging hard deposits.
I was with Mark when he bought the Sabre new. in '87. The '85 was still in crate they wre emptying out the warehouses after the early '80's recession. List was about $4k and they wer selling them for $2715. I was working part time so no way to get me one then. 18 yrs later ... IT IS MINE! >:D
Now will Likely have to pull again (5 yrs later) as have a vacuum loss symptom when increasing throttle at all rpms (short sudden bog) and suspect a slide diaphram defect like a tear of hole.
Dusty having sat in garage but I was very surprised when it came out a beauty when washed.  8)
The rear shock sucks. Abrupt shock to arse and back! Believe the oil can be changed out like the C10 shock.

danodemotoman said:
Ugh, what a tug 'o war it was to get those carbs off those old intake boots.  :mad:  I sure did order new boots.  The bike had sat for maybe 5 years since late brother Mark had ridden it. The pilot jets had clogging hard deposits.
I was with Mark when he bought the Sabre new. in '87. The '85 was still in crate they wre emptying out the warehouses after the early '80's recession. List was about $4k and they wer selling them for $2715. I was working part time so no way to get me one then. 18 yrs later ... IT IS MINE! >:D
Now will Likely have to pull again (5 yrs later) as have a vacuum loss symptom when increasing throttle at all rpms (short sudden bog) and suspect a slide diaphram defect like a tear of hole.
Dusty having sat in garage but I was very surprised when it came out a beauty when washed.  8)
The rear shock sucks. Abrupt shock to arse and back! Believe the oil can be changed out like the C10 shock.

I can attest to the difficulty of pulling THOSE carbs.  That airbox and carb arrangement actually make COnnie look like she's a cakewalk by comparison.  I hate those Honda V4 carb racks. GRrrrrrr! 
Mama's V45 is having the same bog issue, but I have already replaced the diaphragms in her carbs with some aftermarket ones she bought on eBay or somewhere.  THey may be too heavy of material though as the bog remains albeit improved.  Her originals were just trashed beyond recognition.  THe bike hauls with light throttle application, but  heavy hand gets you a bunch of nuttin.  I also need to check the seal to the airbox methinks to make sure it's all good.  Maybe I'll tinker with that... say about 2016. LOL  I hope she ain;t plannin' a ride anywhere.  :D

I currently have 2 other rides. 1st is a 1982 Yamaha Vision with 22K miles and a 1970 Triumph T120 currently in the process of being rebuilt.
I just bought a C14 which now has almost 900 miles I love it. Wish the rain would STOP!!!!! 

My second bike is not as fun as the C-14, nor does it get as good as gas mileage and handles like a truck. But I still like my 1975 Z-1B 900 once in awhile. Still makes the heart go thump too.  8)

My favorite second bike is becoming my first favorite, 2003 Suzuki V-Strom 1000. Just got back from the Arkansas Ozarks on it and had way too much fun. My Suzuki Burgman 650 is second runner-up.

Here is another vote for the KLR 650.  I have had my 88 model since 1991.  Here in the mountains where there are many mining and four wheeler roads, the KLR 650 is made to order.  But, it is one hell of a canyon carver too with almost unlimited ground clearance.  And it gets 55-60 miles per gallon average!  And even brand new they are just 5-6K.  Older ones go for as little as 1K.    A really great bullet proof bike that is a lot of fun.

My 'second' bike is my 1984 KZ1100R, it was Bike of the Month on the kz1000r.com website in July last year. Here's a link to some photo's and the write-up on it.
http://www.kz1000r.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=79

I still have a 2004 Road King, but I'm trying to sell it! I guess I must have drank some Lime Green kool-aid back around 1982! ;D

Ridehome1.jpg

I might as well chime in here also.

1956 NSU 250 MAX - Restore to show room, and mulitple trophy winner.
http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/nsu/NSU_Special_Max.htm

I'm torn.  I sold my 2nd bike which fell to 2nd when I bought the Concours.  My VTX1800.  I kind of want something dual sport like... KLR, Tenere...  but I don't know how MUCH DSing I'd do...  so I wonder if I'd be better off with a 2nd street bike and a cheap dirt bike...  dunno.  Decisions decisions.  I only have SO MUCH room in the garage!  LOL

Necron99 said:
I'm torn.  I sold my 2nd bike which fell to 2nd when I bought the Concours.  My VTX1800.  I kind of want something dual sport like... KLR, Tenere...  but I don't know how MUCH DSing I'd do...  so I wonder if I'd be better off with a 2nd street bike and a cheap dirt bike...  dunno.  Decisions decisions.  I only have SO MUCH room in the garage!  LOL

I love having my Cruiser as my second bike. Very similar to your VTX. It's nice to have a change of pace. Especially on hot days!

it USED to be my beloved personal GP ride, my 2001 Yamaha yzf-r6...stripped of all road going gear, race cams and carbs, jetted, race rubber, lightened down to about 375lbs and pushing 107hp...it handled like a dream, and made newer liter bikes cry in, thru, and out of any racetrack corner around...

I had owned her for the past 7 years and loved riding her

After riding my new 09 Connie for the past 2 months, she had been neglected.  getting on her this past weekend made her feel even smaller, slimmer, and toyish...

i say USED to, because i pushed her just a little too much this past weekend at Summit Point Raceway, got into a turn too hot, pushed the front, and ended up rolling in the mud.  the yzf has some major damage to its left side, and a problem with the motor that would be too much to fix for the age of the bike.  selling the bike in working condition would only net me about 2200-2500 max, and the engine work is gonna cost me at least that i am sure.  so i gotta say bye bye to the old faithful trackbike...you will always be remembered fondly.

Big Poppa said:

Just saw a Piaggio on I-94 during my afternoon commute as he was doing 65mph southbound.

While in Paris, France last year, we saw tens and tens of these three-wheeled wonders zipping around the city.  Scooters where everywhere and Piaggios looked the most fun to ride.

Go for it!  :13:

I loved my 1982 GPz 1100 which I bought new and put only 34K on in 23 years. I sold it to buy my 06 C10 which I like even better. 60K in less than 5 years. I do miss the FI though- too bad it couldn't be adapted to the C10. It was troublefree.
Tom Taylor COG#7173

My second bike is an 09 Versys.  Comfortable, handles great, 50mpg, reliable, just an outstanding do everything bike.

KLR650 after 2007...Cee Bailey windshield, Avons, a blue milk crate bolted to the rear rack, Air Hawk, shorten the side stand 5/8" and what ever you do don't mess with the airbox or the exhaust.  I went 68,000 or so on one and 27,000 on another.  The two top selling K's are the Ninja 250 and the KLR.  Do not buy the KLR250.

The KLR should be good to go for around 38-44.  Don't let a 15,000 mile unit scare you if it was loved.  You'll love it.  Hell, I'm gonna go get another one tomorrow...

My most fun 2nd bike is my 1978 RD 400 E with lots of mods.
The one thing I dislike about it is 20 mpg on pump gas.
Its alot worse on race gas but I love her anyways.

Attachments

• RD 400 E.jpg
    RD 400 E.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 82
Actually I don't have what I would call a second or third bike.  I have three bikes, and they all have their distinct style of riding.  I just ride the one that fits my mood for the day or trip.

My trike is for the long leisurely trips, or for times when I am just lazy.  My BMWgs is for when I am feeling a lot younger than I should and want to do some adventuring.  The Concours is for pure fun.

My favorite second bike is my 2001 1200 Bandit. Tons of torque and reasonable manners. If you have one, you must swap in a few Holeshot parts to bring it alive! It is fun to ride and hard to stay within legal limits.

See my sig line.

The GPZ is a great all-around SPORT tourer, and is the pick for performance or when its 80 degrees F and up.

C10 is a great sport TOURER and is great for something a bit more relaxed or to haul a bunch of stuff, although it can still hustle the corners and be lots of fun.  Also the pick for cooler weather and 2 up.

The GS1100 Sooki is an engine project awaiting attention.

Not shown are 79 XR250 and 74 DT175 - both runners but with a few needs yet to be resolved.

K                              L                              R650

'98, with dents, dings, gouges, and scratches. It has a $19 Rubbermaid Action Packer bolted on for a trunk, Pelican cases for saddlebags, cheap ATV tank panniers and $19 tank bag, along with numerous zip ties holding things together. It usta have an Aoooogha horn, but the Chinacrap bracket broke and it got destroyed. Fun bike.

Nothing says "cool" like a beat up KLR. It currently is parked in California at my kid's place, my west coast bike. And yes, it does just fine on the curvy fun roads out there.