• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fi error

membership

Well i have a 2011 concours purchased mid june now I have 4225 miles two days ago and today the FI ERROR message appears does this mean I need to donate more to my dealer I already use 91 octane fuel. The message doesn't stay on but comes on occasional times does anyone have any ideas

This seems to be fairly common, mainly with the 2010-11 C14's. But at least one other with an 08 or 09  that I remember reported the FI warning come on for short periods. I don't remember any of the people reporting the warning, ever actually having a problem. So it's probably nothing that might appear now and then on your bike. Of course if it stays on or is constantly coming on. Then by all means, take it in and have it checked. It being a 2011, it would be covered by the 3 year factory warranty.

Cboothe said:
Well i have a 2011 concours purchased mid june now I have 4225 miles two days ago and today the FI ERROR message appears does this mean I need to donate more to my dealer I already use 91 octane fuel. The message doesn't stay on but comes on occasional times does anyone have any ideas

I have the diagnostic KDS3 package and I have seen the temp errors stored when you
see the FI error momentarily:

My 2010 has logged several of these FI communication errors.  They are stored as 'temp' errors and will not surface on the diagnostics until they become permanent.  The FI ECU,
the Kipass ECU and the steering lock are constantly checking the validity of each others'
signals.  Any interference during those checks will set the the FI error for an instant.
  Until it goes permanent, there is nothing to worry about.  I've never had any problems with the way the engine runs during these brief events.

Mick

I've seen it happen on my bike and it seems like it may have been caused by local interference. There also is a note in the service manual that says temporary FI errors can be caused by local signal interference.

My 2010 has done it 3 times also. Just momentarily each time and if I remember correctly all 3 happened while riding through town.

I have a 2011 that the FI came on several times, then one day it would not start, and it now is at a Kaw shop and they can not figure out whats wrong all the relay and switches are clicking and the low battery flashes, fuel gauges flashes, Kaw is sending some one down to take a look at it, they thought that it was a ground problem at first, but now no one is sure

Butch said:
I have a 2011 that the FI came on several times, then one day it would not start, and it now is at a Kaw shop and they can not figure out whats wrong all the relay and switches are clicking and the low battery flashes, fuel gauges flashes, Kaw is sending some one down to take a look at it, they thought that it was a ground problem at first, but now no one is sure

That sounds like either a battery or battery connection problem. You might also check the ground lug under the gas tank and make sure it is on solid. I assume they already checked the main ground to the frame from the neg battery cable.

I received an FI error.  Of course it had to happen on mile 5 of a 300 mile trip, just to get you thinking.  ::) Here is what the service manual has to say.  Seems to be in aggreement with many of the posts.

Don’t rely solely on the DFI self-diagnosis function, use common sense. Even when the DFI system is operating normally, the warning indicator light (LED) goes on and warning message and warning symbol may be displayed under strong electrical interference. Additional measures are not required.  Turn the key knob to OFF to stop the indicator light, message and symbol.

Was pulling into garage last night with my iPhone in pocket. Just as I noticed it was ringing, I looked down and noticed the FI error code on dash. This is the second time I've gotten the warning, but the first time I was moving and if my phone was ringing, I couldn't hear it. Not sure if the two are related at all, but it does say in the manual that electronic interference can cause the error and iPhone are notorious for causing interference with speakers, other phones, etc. Again, not sure if they are related, but would be interested if others have found this cause and effect?

Dalroo said:
Was pulling into garage last night with my iPhone in pocket. Just as I noticed it was ringing, I looked down and noticed the FI error code on dash. This is the second time I've gotten the warning, but the first time I was moving and if my phone was ringing, I couldn't hear it. Not sure if the two are related at all, but it does say in the manual that electronic interference can cause the error and iPhone are notorious for causing interference with speakers, other phones, etc. Again, not sure if they are related, but would be interested if others have found this cause and effect?

Hmm, interesting observation.  Of the 12 FI errors I've seen on mine (2 in the last 2 weeks), I have only been near HT power lines once.  The rest were all over the place from downtown city to middle of the Wyoming desert.

However, in every case, I had at least 1 GSM phone with me (many times 2), in my shirt or coat pockets, and powered on.  Never had an iPhone, but a couple androids and a few other regular GSM phones (same communication frequencies).  Also, 2 of these phones have WiFi enabled all the time.

It is something to think about, as I do not buy the excuse the manual offers of overhead HT power lines.  I guess we need someone to report if they get an FI error without a phone on them, when there's no other electrical interference source around.

C1xRider said:
Dalroo said:
  I guess we need someone to report if they get an FI error without a phone on them, when there's no other electrical interference source around.

I live in the middle of nothing and have gotten FI errors with no phones or other electrical dodads around.  Well except for the 700 pound electrical dodad I was riding.