• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Final Drive Noises

2tired

Training Wheels
I'm doing some maintenance on the C14 and decided to pull my prop shaft and re-grease it.  Initially I did this because I was hearing some "clunk"-ing noises from the front u-joint and I wanted to investigate.  I could swear there was a thread on this site (or maybe it was the other one) that talked about noises coming from the drive line.  Can someone help me out with what I should look for that would indicate my u-joints are failing? 

Many thanks!

Check the caps on the bearings for the U joints and make sure they are all in place properly. Grease the front spline on the end of the prop shaft with some moly based grease and reassemble it. Then when you have it back together, just rotate the rear wheel on the centerstand and listen for any noise. Some folks have had clicking and popping sounds, and in most cases, simply greasing the front spline has fixed it. There have been one or two reports of missing caps on the U joints, or the clips that hold them in place have been found missing.

If you don't have it already you want Honda Moly 60 Paste:
http://www.bernardiparts.com/products/08734-0001.aspx?gclid=CP772IrD-6gCFale7AodeHGHNg

They should have it at your local Honda dealer, I don't know the place in the link just used it to show the product.

The job is done.  Caps and clips were where they should be.  The u-joints moved smoothly.  I greased up the splines (both ends) with the Honda Moly and reassembled everything.  Something that surprised me was how easy this job was.

The best part: no driveline noise now.

Thanks for the responses everyone.