• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Finally - FIXED!

gbyoung2

It’s kinda funny how things that start to degrade gradually over time, sometimes go un-noticed until someone points them out, and (possibly) embarrasses you in the process. Such is the case with my own ’95 Connie. I noticed an erratic idle and weird behavior just off idle that became evident a number of years ago, but blamed it on the ethanol gas fooking with somethng in the idle circuit. I had the carbs off of the bike more times that I care to admit trying to correct the problem….. all to no avail. At speed, it seemed to run just fine. But still, it bugged me.

Several years ago I picked up a used set of ’95 carbs off of eBay figuring I’d just “shotgun” the issue and be done with it. Don’t recall the claimed mileage on the carbs, but the price was reasonable and they looked pretty decent. Once in hand I had a decision to make: install some overflow tubes in the bowls, or just use them as is. I eventually went with installing the tubes. I did that a few months ago, but finally got off my duff a day ago (with 202301 miles on the bike) to swap out the carbs. I finished that up late yesterday afternoon.

Prior to pulling the carbs I ran a compression check and all were in the high 190 range within 2 psi of each other. Even with those readings, I went ahead and did a leak down test as well, and they all tested good. That was encouraging given the mileage on the bike.

Haven’t taken it out yet, but as soon as it started and ran, I knew the problem was taken care of. I’ll probably never find out, but still curious what degraded with the carbs over time to cause the bike to act the way it did.

Justa thought; "Erratic idle and weird behaviors' just off of idle" sounds like one of the carbs may have had a float valve set too high or not sealing properly.
If so, at idle it could have been getting too much fuel in that cylinder.
Increasing speed would draw the fuel level down slightly and/or make use of the tiny bit of extra fuel. (??)

Ride safe, Ted

Justa thought; "Erratic idle and weird behaviors' just off of idle" sounds like one of the carbs may have had a float valve set too high or not sealing properly.
If so, at idle it could have been getting too much fuel in that cylinder.
Increasing speed would draw the fuel level down slightly and/or make use of the tiny bit of extra fuel. (??)

Ride safe, Ted

Float valves were checked several times using both the fuel level and float height methods. Same way I checked the "new" set of carbs I got off of eBay. I may have even changed out the original set at one point, but don't recall; been scewing with this for quite a while.

But thanks.

Glad you got it sorted out.. the issue could be a few things from 1 or both clogged/worn accelerator pump(s) to sticky / worn diaphragm slide (s) . Amazing to see the engine have good compression and very even across all 4 cylinders with all those miles on it . They are amazing engines for sure.. Glad you got it sorted out AND installed overflow tunes. I assume you press fitted those tubes?

Glad you got it sorted out.. the issue could be a few things from 1 or both clogged/worn accelerator pump(s) to sticky / worn diaphragm slide (s) . Amazing to see the engine have good compression and very even across all 4 cylinders with all those miles on it . They are amazing engines for sure.. Glad you got it sorted out AND installed overflow tunes. I assume you press fitted those tubes?

These carbs don't have accelerator pumps. Diaphram slides not sticking. Worn? Possibly.

Tubes press fit with a little help from POR-15 sealant.

These carbs don't have accelerator pumps. Diaphram slides not sticking. Worn? Possibly.

Tubes press fit with a little help from POR-15 sealant.
There are two accelerator pumps out of the 4 carbs. Two have them... two do not.. They are round on the sides.

There are two accelerator pumps out of the 4 carbs. Two have them... two do not.. They are round on the sides.

Whatever...........

Suggest you read THIS. It explains the workings of the CVK-type carbs. Please note that it makes no mention of acceration pumps. Believe Stasch identified the parts you were calling the pumps below.

Last edited:
FWIW - Ya’ll probably don’t recall an ancient, previous post about my removing all the air injection stuff from the bike a number of years ago. Thinking back, all the weird idle/off idle “stuff” was going on back then as well. I noticed that the bike seemed to backfire a lot more when coming down from speed once the air injection was removed. Not terribly obnoxious, but still, it was there and more prevalent. ALL of that has disappeared since I changed out the carbs a day or so ago. It seems like it is a completely different bike, and I like it.