• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

First Post

atoughram

Just picked up a new-to-me 08 C14 this week, as a Christmas present to myself!  :)

I've been looking at them for quite some time and after a trip to Reno on my Shadow (Following my brother on his BMW 1150), I came home determined.  It's in pretty good shape, 17K miles, all the recalls done, and the only warranty work was the replacement of the front TPMS sensor.  It came with the taller Kawi windscreen and Kawi trunk.  It also came with the Kawi service manual.

Things I'm planning on doing are:

New tires
15K Maintenance (Valves, plugs, filters and fluids)
Lowering the pegs
Extend the front fender
& Murphs wedges

I'm pretty mechanically inclined.  I've adjusted the valves on the KLR, worked on a few DOHC interference car motors, rebuilt quite a few small block chevies, etc.  The local Kawi dealer in Enumclaw WA wants $550 + parts for the 15K service.  Should I just do it myself?  I've got other questions too but I'll do a search before I ask anything new. 

The weathers been sub-freezing lately but today I got it out and took a little ride.  I like the power delivery!  While not as peaky as my old CBR1000F, it pulls harder...  I ran it up to 7.5K rpm in 3rd...  :-\ 

I'm in the Tacoma area, are there any other riders around???  I cant wait for spring!

Russ

Attachments

• IMG_0080.JPG
    IMG_0080.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 67
Welcome to the forum, Russ!  I too moved from a Shadow to the Connie - in my case the older C10.  She's a great bike and it sounds like you got a nice one - particularly one which comes with a service manual!  With that in hand, I'd recommend you give the service yourself.  It sounds as if you've got enough experience to do so without any particular trouble.

There are several other members out in your area, though the holidays are keeping traffic on the board comparatively light. 

One more thing.  Put some miles on her before deciding to change the ergonomics.  Just saying...

Glad to have you in here!

Congrats and welcome Russ. I would suggest riding the bike for a little while before making changes. It may take a little while to truly see what you may need to change on the bike. as far as the service, there's always a debate on whether or not to do the service yourself. I suggest to research it quite well before making any decision. One thing though. I doubt you need to change the plugs already. But if it gives you peace of mind!  :)

:welcome:

Welcome to the forum.  You forgot to add one very important accessory to you r list...  full COG membership.  ;D

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will get many miles of fun from your new bike. If you feel confident in doing your own valve adjustment than go ahead. Many here do their own work. I will do just about everything else but I'll take my 09 to the dealer when that time comes.
ry%3D400

I can't believe I'm the first to respond from the Northwest so :welcome: aboard.

I'm sure you'll have many years of enjoyment on your new to you 2008. My 08 was purchased new in March of 08 and after some trouble free 30K miles on her, I can honestly say that I still get a thrill each and every time I go for a ride (short or long).

Merry Xmas to you and yours and enjoy your new baby! 

kawcon14rider said:
Russ you may want to consister Fred Harman' maintenance videos. http://www.angelridevideos.com/
It is a very well put together guide showing the actual work being done with a well explained step by step
procedure.
Welcome 'bro, I also picked up a 08 about 13 months ago and has become my favorite among it's three half brothers. I
obtained Fred's videos about six months ago and watch them over and over. It was money well spent.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! 

I'm 6'4" and in about 50 miles, I've determined that the pegs definitely need to be lowered...  My inseam fits the KLR just fine but the Connie is a lot tighter.  I'm not sure on the bars yet, I've had back surgery in the past, and I'll probably end up wearing a back support belt when on long rides.  I'd like to get the riding position a bit more vertical.

A good friend of mine just bought a '10 C14, brand new, and put a V&H CS1 exhaust on it.  While I don't like the looks of the Barbecue hanging on the side of the bike, after spending 2000 miles on a Shadow with loud Vance & Hines pipes on it, I sure like the lack of noise... 

Are there ever any wrenching get togethers??? 

Watch the classifieds.  All sorts of farkles show up regularly. Great way to try different set u ps. If it doesn't fit or work turn it over and try something else.