• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

First real ride (kind of)

berttward8035

When I first got this bike, I went for a spin around the block and parked it in the garage to eat lunch. When I came back out I saw a significant puddle of gas and started taking it apart. Reading this forum and consulting with the seller, I decided to clean the carbs (first time ever). After days in pieces and requiring assistance from the seller to help me fix what I could not (adjusted the float level in carb #4), I was able to put it back together this afternoon and take off for a 30 minute ride at speed. Good lord! This bike is the most powerful I’ve ever been on and I’m in deeper love than when I bought it. The best news is that after an hour sitting in the garage there are no new puddles under it! I figured it out! I know this is pretty “Day 1” for most of the riders on here, but this was a huge accomplishment for me and I’m very appreciative of all the knowledge on here. Looking forward to temps above 45 this summer!

I learned pretty much all I know about working on bikes from this group and my 2001 C-10. The bike is simple and straightforward and they made it unchanged for 20 years. A testament to the bikes design and to this group. I still have my 2001, not sure I want to sell it because of that. A good feeling to figure something out and fix it yourself.

Nothing like tackling a problem yourself and the pure joy that it works out for the good! I have had to fix a few bikes over the years. In this day and age all the info needed to fix most things is online. Saves giving up your bike to a dealer.

So u had a puddle of gas.... hopefully ur bike has overflow tubes on the carbs and was the source of puddle. If you don't have sisf (shoodaben engineering) carb mod, you NEED to check the threads on hydrolock. Could very well save u some bent rods and a destroyed motor...

Welcome aboard!! I bought my first Concours in January this year and am really loving it! I've run up a lot of miles on a Gold Wing, but the C10 is a different experience. Fun learning! Congrats on your success!