• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

fork oil change in '91

John_Atkinson

any special steps required to change the fork oil in a '91? Mine has the drain holes at the bottom of each forkleg.

I've explored this in the past but the bolts at top of the forks seem unusually tight.

Any info is appreciated.

Loosen the top (only top) pinch bolts. And a clean 6 point socket.
Not an open end wrench or adjustable.

John_Atkinson said:
...but the bolts at top of the forks seem unusually tight.

Not specificly Concours, but fork bolt often seem to have re****ulous amounts of torque applied.

Once you do get them loose, be careful as you unscrew the last threads.  At least with stock, they are under pressure from the springs, and can pop out pretty hard if you aren't expecting them.  Once you do get the forks opened up, be very careful draining the oil out of the bottom drains.  They can squirt oil an amazing distance if you push the front end with too much enthusiasm! 

DAMHIK :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Bob H said:
Once you do get them loose, be careful as you unscrew the last threads.  At least with stock, they are under pressure from the springs, and can pop out pretty hard if you aren't expecting them.  Once you do get the forks opened up, be very careful draining the oil out of the bottom drains.  They can squirt oil an amazing distance if you push the front end with too much enthusiasm! 

Let the air pressure out first?

Pbfoot said:
Bob H said:

Let the air pressure out first?

I was wondering the same thing.......pressure out first, then open the drain screws at the bottom of the forks, and then unscrew the caps?

I have to loosen those caps with the forks still clamped in the triple tree, because the vise wants to gall the chromed tubes. LOOSEN the top triple bolts but LEAVE the bottom bottom triple bolts tight. You can use a large adjustable wrench but obviously with all these fine threads, the right socket is worth buying.

If you're going to remove the forks to flush them, then you can leave the caps in part-way so you don't dump oil everywhere as they come off.

Suggestion-Check/grease your steering head bearings  Since you have almost disassembled everything necessary to remove the triple clamp, just loosen the fork caps as described, then remove the steering head bolt and drop the triple clamp with both forks attached.  I find it just as easy to work with the whole assembly, than with individual parts.  Read up on this procedure before attempting.  Readjusting the tension on the bearings during reassembly can be a little touchy and require multiple attempts.

Steering head bolt size: 27mm  Same as rear axle nut.