• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fork Seals

katsi

Bicycle
Well in my saga, I took the bike out tonight for a nice 30 minute ride around my sleepy, TX town.  All in all, I may have been a bit rough in my assessment about the vibration OR maybe I just took your advise and loosened my grip a bit.  Most likely a little of both.  Anyways, the bike seemed to purr along fine, no problemos - errrraah - except for the fact that it decided to lube up the front brakes good and proper with fork oil.  With that being said, I'm thinking about putting new fork seals in it and giving it another go around the block.  GOOD NEWS, the rear breaks work wonderfully.  SO DOES ANYONE know a good place to drop a few bones and get this done in the HOUSTON area?  Preferably the west part of Houston - well about 30 miles west of Houston would be optimal.  I DID READ the chapter in the manual on the subject.  It doesn't look that difficult but I just don't think I am set up to get the bike high enough to wiggle out the forks.  I'm sure their is a way to do it.  Some trick to it.  Now, I remember when I put in the new front suspension in my Fiat 124 - did I mention I'm a FIAT fanatic - The right front took me 4 months to figure out.  Once I got it, the left old was out and the new was in in just under an hour with beer an restroom breaks.  So, even though I know it would be a great experience, I would hate to have the carbs gum up by the time I figured it out.  So, I thinking this is a good job to just outsource.  :)

If the front wheel is off and the rear wheel is touching the ground, you have enough room to wiggle out the fork tubes.

Katsi,
Look for Fred Harmon. He is down there in the dustbowl somewhere working on a Connie probably. Someone probably knows how to get in touch with him on here.
Matt
He is also the one that does the videos for the C14's

You mentioned you are a mechanic so this should be that tough    Put the bike on the center stand and lift until the rear wheel touches down and that is as high as you need to get It.  Pull the front wheel and the forks are no problem.  You may want to pull some of the inner cowling for better access to the triple clamp. Lots

OK, I goofed around at work and watched a few videos and read up as much as I could and hay, I'm gonna go ahead and do the fork seals myself.  BUT, can anyone tell me what else I may need to complete the job.  So far I got;  >:D
1) new for seals and dust covers from Amazon Prime for $24.08.

Nothing more, that rounds out the list at 1 item. 
How important is it to get the oil measurement perfect?  Should I go ahead and get the special tool?

As for OIL, one video on you tube some guys seemed to be just putting regular old oil in it.  Is the oil specific to this purpose?  I seem to be getting conflicting info. 

The manual says SAE 10W20

Thanks

Katsi,
Everyone I have talked to, including Dan at Traxxion Dynamics, says use the Kawi FACTORY seals only. The aftermarket seals are far more prone to leaking again after a short time if not immediately upon installation. Just a suggestion. I have had new seals leak on me and now only use the factory replacement parts. Have not had a leak on a single one since.
Matt

Thanks for the advise guys.  Matt, I will get them next time already ordered.

racer1735 said:
You mentioned you are a mechanic so this should be that tough    Put the bike on the center stand and lift until the rear wheel touches down and that is as high as you need to get It.  Pull the front wheel and the forks are no problem.  You may want to pull some of the inner cowling for better access to the triple clamp. Lots

:-\  Sorry if I mislead anyone - I am no mechanic by any means.  I like to goof around and have pulled a few engines and pieced together an old Fiat from 3 cars.  I had a very humble upbringing and if you wanted something fixed you fixed it.  I fix my own crap but would never work on anybody else's machine unless they were in a cash bind and needed brakes or something.  I've done that for neighbors and old girl friends and their friends.  But I have never accepted $ or been worthy of accepting $ for my hacks.  In fact, I pulled the lower ferrings the other day and put them back on and had one screw left over.  I swear those things multiply or run off  whenever I turn my head. But that is another coffee can full of stuff.  So, just to make sure everyone knows; I am noooooo mechanic.  :D

Before installing new seals, check the fork legs for nicks and dings.  Any high spots will tear the new seals and provide new leaks.

Might as well replace the bushings also while you're in there. Only a few bucks more. If your luck is anywhere close to my luck, you'll need those next season. True story