• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Front brakes

Hello group I have a question about my front brakes, I recently just rebuilt my front master cylinder due to not maintaining pressure and I didn't get to test ride because it was late and bad weather. Last night when i went to ride it home from my inlaws because that's where I'm keeping the front brake locked up causing me to nearly drop it luckily I didn't but I'm just curious to why it locked up? I was able to rock it back and forth eventually getting free and was able to ride it back to the inlaws house like it never happened. Please all comments are welcome thank you

Possibly but when I rebuilt the master I cleaned all the grime out and used new fluid but I suppose that don't mean there wasn't dirt in the line itself because it didn't lock up until about 2 miles away from where I left

I had something get between a pad and rotor on my minivan last winter. Sounded horrible. Thought I was dragging the air dam. Got out twice to look. It managed to come out on its own a minute later. It did scar the rotor.

In addition to what was stated.... Air or moisture (old brake fluid or wrong type) in the lines can cause significant expansion in the brake system when the brakes heat up.

How old are the brake lines? They can swell internally and prevent proper fluid movement... If they are original I'd strongly consider changing them if the problem comes back.

I'll actually correct myself... If they are original, I strongly consider changing them whether the problem comes back or not. 15 year old rubber lines are beyond what a lot of riders would consider their serviceable life.

Might be worth upgrading to a set of stainless lines since brakes are a critical safety component. Since you don't have ABS, it should be very straightforward.

The OEMs recommend changing them every 4 years, but I don't know of a single person who follows that interval.

Then again, I do know folks with 30 plus year old rubber brake lines, and zero issues.