• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fuel system mods

smithr

There is an interesting talk on concours.org forum about fuel filter flow and modifications. I thought I would share my reply here for those that are interested. Ok I have to spill some beans here. I am working hard on all this(fuel system stuff) and Murph has supplied me with a different electric valve and some other parts. I have spend time testing and documenting my work and now have a different system on my bike. I would give you the full story but Murph has not answered my emails yet about his feelings on some of the results. I am busy getting ready for a trip this weekend also. edit My best offer for you guys that are not having problems yet(with starvation or other) is to do nothing for now. For the ones that are having problems send me a detailed description and/or picture of what you did and I will tell you how we can make it better. OR Wait for my next two articles in the Concourier. One is submitted now and gives you basic info you need to understand and the next one will cover modifications to the fuel system. Full story here if your inclined. http://forum.concours.org/index.php?topic=53967.0 ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Bob, from what I read in that thread I might suspect that the petcock vac plunger might not be open all the way, there could be the possibility that the needle is not open all the way. The test that Mike G did involved using the tank on prime which bypasses the vac needle. It might be better to do a flow test with vac applied to the petcock and it in the run position.. If the diaphragm had a slight leak it would still work but maybe not flow enough because its not fully open. It only takes about 3-4 in of vac to open the petcock otherwise it would not open during cranking. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Dang... all this talk about fliters and flow and needle valves... Got my carbs sitting on the workbeach in the garage, waiting for new float values (some looked kinda funky) and new boots. One boot was mis-installed, probably why my bike was running crappy last year. I imagine air was getting in where it wasn't supposed to. But, the carbs themselves were pretty clean on the inside. Ahhhhh, to install a filter or not to, that is the question...... Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649 Merchandise Czar

Ahhhhh, to install a filter or not to, that is the question......
Dave, I just did my carbs last weekend. They had very little debris in them only some fine dust in 3+4 and a little piece of crud at the bottom of 1. I do drain the carbs for storage, so for me right now no filter. I did put in a new hose and the old hose was getting hard. I think some of the issues is that the OE hose starts to break down and bits get caught in the needle then you got issues. CT AAD COG #7011-A 2003 Concours-Mary Ann 1995 Honda Nighthawk 750 wifes
2404055870098914013eWgtrD_th.jpg
2032479400098914013vMhfsR_th.jpg

Good point Norm! While I'm waiting for my super-speedy Murph package to get here, I think new fuel line is a great idea! Dave Muir 1980 LTD1000 - Rocket 1999 Concours - Rocket II 1997 Dyna - wife's CT-COG #3649 Merchandise Czar

Well, for me a inline filter was my trick. Got the NAPA BK7401158 filter and cut the hose and remove approximately the visible length to insert the hose. Had some serious gunk in Carb #1 and was even causing needle valve to stay open. Made for a nasty lugging situation at low RPM. Haven't had any problems with flow since installing and I even did some real hard running at high RPM. (Just my two cents worth.) Robert Elliott Cornelia, GA COG # 7598 CDA#0293