• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Gas Mileage after Gulh Reflash

My wife and I returned last night from a 14 day, 3048 mile trip from NJ to Nova Scotia.  We were running two up the entire time, with both side bags and a Givi 55 loaded. Between the side bags and the Givi, we had 85 pounds (actual weight) of gear.  Combined rider weight in full riding gear is probably 350.  I alternated every other tank of gas between Eco and Standard mode and kept records of actual mileage for the entire trip. I ran Premium gas at every fill up, except one where it wasn't available.  I was riding with my brother and his wife on a BMW RT1150, and two guys running VFR's (800's).  Our riding style was very 'spirited' to say the least. We were not just putting along. 

Overall Standard Mode average gas mileage was 41.3 MPG, with a High of 45.3 and a Low of 34.9.  Eco Mode average was 43.8 (discounting the Regular Gas), with a High of 48.5 and a Low of 36.6 (but that was with Regular gas, so I really don't count it).

I am sure that the bike is capable of much more conservative mileage, but with the riding we were doing, we were not specifically interested in being conservative! 

The performance difference between the two modes, especially on the INCREDIBLE roads of Nova Scotia is amazing.  Having the torque available down low in the RPM band makes all the difference in the world. 

I will say that the C14 is a BIG, HEAVY bike that generates a lot of momentum, especially on steep downhill sections.  You increase speed pretty quickly even when not trying to.  When going downhill with a lot of left-right-left turns (Cabot Trail style) you better be using engine braking (lower gears) or be prepared to be on the brakes a LOT.

This was my first trip to Nova Scotia.  It won't be my last.  The Cabot Trail (clockwise AND counterclockwise) is some of the finest riding I've ever done, but it can also be very unforgiving.  We were told that there were two MC fatalities the previous week.  I don't know any details, but a rider really needs to pay attention to the road and not the scenery.   

A big "Thank You" to the wonderful people of Nova Scotia for the great hospitality and a bigger
"Thank You" to the Mountie to politely reminded us that the speed limit signs were in Kilometers Per Hour, not Miles Per Hour (Oops). 

I went to NS a few years ago on the C14. I had a great time. I found the Canadian fuel was much better than this US spec junk we use. I could go quite a bit farther on a tank of the good Canadian fuel as compared to the US fuel. My fuel mileage per tank was quite a bit lower on both the first and last days of the trip, compared to the rest of the trip when in NS.  The people of NS were genuinely nice people. Cape Breton island was the highlight of the trip. I will be going back!

Here's a few photo's from my trip in 09:

I just returned from a 3K mile trip to Colorado, and I kept the bike in ECON mode on the way up and averaged about 43mpg. On the way back I left it in regular mode and got about 40mpg. While at altitude (over 7K ft) in Colorado I got around 45mpg in normal mode. I didn't test the economy mode much at altitude, so I can't really say what it got.

Something else that is worthwhile pointing out, is that your MPG readouts on the dash still displays accurate info after the Guhl reflash because the fueling changes they make are to the internal maps in the ECU, and the gas mileage calculations are based on what the injector pulses are coming out of the ECU.

When you install a Power Commander and remap your fuel, your mileage numbers displayed on your meter panel are no longer reliable, since the Power Commander adjusts the fuel injector pulse widths AFTER they have left the ECU.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Something else that is worthwhile pointing out, is that your MPG readouts on the dash still displays accurate info after the Guhl reflash because the fueling changes they make are to the internal maps in the ECU, and the gas mileage calculations are based on what the injector pulses are coming out of the ECU.

When you install a Power Commander and remap your fuel, your mileage numbers displayed on your meter panel are no longer reliable, since the Power Commander adjusts the fuel injector pulse widths AFTER they have left the ECU.

I will add that I found the MPG Avg display is close to actual but not right on.  I don't have the real numbers handy, but I recall writing down what the Avg display indicated and then doing the math later to calculate actual MPG for that tank.  (Well, I let Excel do it.)  I always found a couple of MPG difference.  The numbers that I reported on were calculated based on actual fuel used and actual elapsed miles.  I don't believe this is related to the Guhl reflash, but in the way that the Avg is calculated within the on-board computer. 

Thanks for the mileage reports Bob.  It would be interesting to know the ratio of time spent on the highway in OD vs. shifting frequently on secondary roads.

So far, I haven't taken any trips, but I get far better mileage when spending a lot of time in OD than tankfuls that are almost exclusively the lower gears.

Peter

It would also be interesting to know from those that have the PCV w/ Autotune, how much of a correction factor was applied to ECON mode.  In other words, how much more could ECON mode be leaned out.

Typically a system will be setup to use a little extra fuel, so there is always some available for the cats.

Peter said:
Thanks for the mileage reports Bob.  It would be interesting to know the ratio of time spent on the highway in OD vs. shifting frequently on secondary roads.

So far, I haven't taken any trips, but I get far better mileage when spending a lot of time in OD than tankfuls that are almost exclusively the lower gears.

Peter

I wil go back through my spreadsheet and match days against riding type and fuel mode.  I should be able to track something. Might be a day or three before I can get to it.