• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Getting Metzler Z8's installed today...

bigpoppa

Bicycle
Hey All,

Time for me to put new rubber on my 2011. My cross-country trip has left the front badly cupped and the rear badly squared off at 8000 miles. With the steady rain we're getting here in NorCal, I just called my dealer and arranged to have a set put on during lunch.

I'm going with the Z8's because he doesn't have the Michelin PR3's in stock in my rear size (only has a a single 180, no 190's).

I'll update this thread as I get some commute mileage built up on these Metzlers.

Big Poppa said:
Hey All,

I'm going with the Z8's because he doesn't have the Michelin PR3's in stock in my rear size (only has a a single 180, no 190's).

Want! Those are what I'm going to put on my bike when my stocks wear out.  I had Metzlers on my old GT and that bike stuck to the road like glue.  :)

So far, my initial impressions are (comparisons are to OEM tires):

• Noticeably less effort to initiate turns.
  • Probably due to the above, I need to be careful with bar input in corners as the bike will easily fall deeper into a corner.
  • The ride seems smoother (less harsh).
  • The bike seems to accelerate "easier".

That's about it for now. I'll post more wear related impressions once I get more mileage on them.

I just have to reply to those first impressions.
Any new tire is going to turn in faster, easier and ride smoother then a older tire that is flattened and thin from use.

This is not intended to give the report or reporter a bad name just that I am tired of hearing this as first reports from many.  I can put new tires on of the same brand and get these results. 

We as riders are really poor at testing tires.  Anyone willing to push a tire to the edge of traction on the street is not alive long enough to give a report on traction.  Ware and life comparisons between two tires on a given track at the same temperature is possible but between Joe in Pa. and Sam in Tx.  does it really mean anything?

Valid and fair points smithr-scad.

Since I've only had my C14 for a couple of months, my memory of how the bike handled new are still pretty fresh in my mind. I should have been clearer in stating that my comparison is between the OEM tires and the new Metzlers at the same level of mileage.

Thank you for the clarification. By all means please keep us updated on how these tire continue to handle, and wear throughout their lifespan.

Big Poppa said:
So far, my initial impressions are (comparisons are to OEM tires):

• Noticeably less effort to initiate turns.
  • Probably due to the above, I need to be careful with bar input in corners as the bike will easily fall deeper into a corner.
  • The ride seems smoother (less harsh).
  • The bike seems to accelerate "easier".

That's about it for now. I'll post more wear related impressions once I get more mileage on them.

With the cold, wet weather we've had in our area, I finally got to ride my '09 C14 after installing Z8's and I agree with your review.  I got 12,000 miles from a set of PR2's but switched to the Z8's because I was looking for better handling. 

The local bimmer dealer will do a state inspection with no appointment and I had the opportunity to see the brand new K1600GTL that just arrived and it was wearing Z8's.  I guess we are in good company.

I ran a Z6 on the rear of my FZ-1 and was very impressed with performance and mileage.  I ran a regular sportec in front.  Will definitely think about the new ones when my PR2's give up the ghost.

I've got 3211 miles on my Z8's with 2560 miles in the last week over Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Parkway, Great Smokey Mountain Parkway and the Tail of the Dragon.  Most of the miles were in the rain with dense fog in the mountains.  Under heavy braking, I suspected that scalloping was occuring we finally got some sun to take off our rain gear and to inspect the Z8's in sunlight.

The scalloping is so bad I'm not sure if the front will last 4000 miles, the rear is not as bad. The front tirewear looks worse than the OEM Bridgestones.
I had hoped the Z8 tread pattern would resist scalloping but this looks like the worst I've seen.

Called the factory to register a complaint and I'll be kind to say their response was less than satisfactory.  Never again will I install Metzlers.

Sorry the Z8's aren't working out for you RAMrider. I just replied to your other thread and while my wear isn't as bad as yours, I will probably try PR3's or Avon's for my next set.