• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Givi Maxia trunk and handling

nschloss

Tricycle
Made an observation I'll share for what it's worth or perhaps it's been mentioned before. I have a Givi Maxia trunk that came with my 06 Connie. At higher speeds (freeway/highway) I noticed the rear end seemed kind of 'loose' and tried different suspension settings, etc. to no avail. Then, I tried a trip this past weekend without the trunk on - what a difference! The bike handled like a dream! Live and learn!

I had a trunk on my C10 and sold it with the bike. For some reason, I just can't bring myself to put one on my ZZR1200. I've had it 18 months now and just put on a used set of Givi 41L Monokey bags and tail trunk mounting plate (required for the bags for stability). I rode in the mountains with the bags on the bike and full of stuff, and it handled ok but not really responsive. Taking them off made a huge difference and enabled me to ride with more confidence. The bike can be a 'beast of burden" to get to the destination, then take the bags off and sport about without them. How big is the Maxima trunk? David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

Maxima trunk is 52 litres approx 17Wx15Lx12H - pretty big. I think it must interfere with the wind flow coming over the bike as it is a problem whether empty or full.

In my experience anything that adds or changes airflow can cause some handling changes. That includes things like: the windshield (larger/smaller), trunks/luggage, passenger. I notice the difference you mentioned when I put on my 50l Givi too. Greg H from Mass, Connie Droppers Anonymous Awards Dude COG# 7010,a Tracey CDA 120 (2.0) 99 Connie "Herrin Christabelle", 05 Ninja 250
2211123920053849446TvPbOP_th.jpg
6n2c6z

Same here, I have a Givi also (not sure what size) and noticed the same change in handeling with the trunk on. I only put it on when I know I'm going to use it. Joe 1968 Honda 160 Scrambler, Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one, 1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours COG memb# 8645

Stick 50-100lbs in it, you can catch air under the rear tire shifting into 3rd. (you should see what 200lbs does :gasp: ) http://millerized.com/pegs I'll be in the garage
welder.gif
COG 6425, CDA 111 a through g
member8960.png