• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Going down

Gball

Big Wheel
Well, I guess the Connie is pretty sexy because I've gone down on her twice... Oh, that's gotta hurt (I mean the bad joke). In the mid eighties I rode small bikes (GS400E and RD350). Then, no bikes until April of this year when I bought my 2004 Concours. Right away the top-heavyness was apparent and I have spent a great deal of time on my slow turn practice. My first drop was in a mushy camping field on my trip to Calgary. I carry a little chunk of plywood around for those kinds of situations. I plonked it down and proceeded to nudge it under the kickstand with my toe. It caught on the tufty grass, and as I got more involved in trying to finesse it under the kickstand I didn't notice until the bike started to go over onto the right side. Embarrassing, but my brother was with me and helped me pick it up. I got a bit wet, but no damage.
The second time was cruising through a campground near Campbell River, to check it out for possible camping with our car and trailer. I was being careful, but slow speed (around 3 mph, and a 2 inch diameter rock under the front wheel made me tip and then when I put my foot down there was a low spot, so smack. But, nothing was damaged. I make sure a regularly practice the slow turns and I am getting better at it. Oh yes, when you go into a slow turn... make sure it goes into first (not neutral). A couple of close calls that way.