• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Goodbye, ZX14

Gypsy JR

Goodbye, trusty stead! Much memories will remain. Fastest, best handling, most awesome motorcycle thus far in 40+ years of riding. Hope the dealer sells her to someone who appreciates her.

And it is for a good purpose. Hello, 2012 C14 !

2008zx14forsale4.jpg

7 inch over?  That seems enough for ape hangers.  Just be sure not to put tight turns in to make up for the extra length.  At least in the throttle cable.

good luck with your project, looks good . The one thing I did notice is your windshield. Are the graphics painted on or are they decals ? It looks like another great way to customize a bike to give it your personal touch.Looking froward seeing the completed project.

It was even 83 up here yesterday. But today it's in the 40's and raining! So I wouldn't put the electrics away quite yet!  :))

ride safe, to and from Pa.
I have to say, that looks right my friend, and I know what I will be trading my 14 on if and when the time comes.....we don't need no steeeeenking driveshaft..... :))

ride safe, to and from Pa.
I have to say, that looks right my friend, and I know what I will be trading my 14 on if and when the time comes.....we don't need no steeeeenking driveshaft..... :))

I don't know. It looks great in the pictures. In person, it was dirty from riding in the rain and dirt!  :))

As I told you in Wellsboro. Nice bike John!

Privateer said:
Hopefully A&A Performance will decide to develop the supercharger for the ZX14 soon, so I can ride it up there and be the test bike donor. They are going to use a small supercharger so it stays under the tank cover and isn't visible (much). So the bike will end up around 245-250 rwhp instead of 300ish with the larger series superchargers. I'm ok with that, it will be a nice kick in the pants at 245 rwhp.

Buy a lot of rear tires  :)

John, I just forwarded an email to you from Dave Owen who hangs out on the COG list Serve.  He is very interested in your bike and mods to make it do happy miles. 

I emailed him about his progress, and got a reply that he was on vacation and will be through fairly late in July.

Just saw this post today, nice bike, but I was wondering, why didn't you just purchase the concours version? and also, I notice that you have handicap plates. did the people at the dmv give you any questioning looks when you applied for them? just curious

Outstanding job on the bike.  Just curious if you were able to sell the bike as a Sport Touring bike to your insurance company.  Ride safe!!!

Hey John,  Are they going to let you enter the bike in the contest at the nationals or does it have to be a Concours?

Privateer, thanks for your service.  And, may I suggest, get the back surgery, I had an L-4 L-5 fusion, no disc with nerve damage, and am back easily 95 %, with very little pain.  Rehab took longer because I waited too long, was back to work in about 7 months.

Looks like I'll still be riding it in 2012... which is NOT a bad thing.

Now I have a reason to put the mirror wideners on, and some other things I was putting off thinking it would get sold or traded.

Going to put my mirror wideners on this coming weekend. And start the Rostra electronic cruise control install.

Then will put my Denali D2s on, after I get the brackets back. I'm using the brackets that the front fork-mounted reflectors mounted on, but adding gussets (bracing) to two of the angles to make sure they can handle the weight. I've got the driving light lenses in them, not the fog lamp lenses. I may switch them back to the fog light lenses, can't make up my mind.

Also need to get the SpeedoHealer V4 installed. And the euro led turn signals. Whatever I have time to get done after the important stuff is done.

My how plans change. Out of the blue, $14,300 some dollars appeared and with my ZX14 in trade, I am more than close enough to that new 2012 black C14 sitting on the showroom floor.

Will go over today and sign the purchase contract. Soon as the weather clears enough, will ride the ZX14 over to dealer and turn it over to them.

Congrats John!!!  I bet you are excited to get that new beast out for a ride.  :motonoises:

S Smith said:
Congrats John!!!  I bet you are excited to get that new beast out fro a ride.  :motonoises:

Come on, John's coming from a hopped up ZX14. His new C14 is going to seem pretty tame by comparison. To John, it will probably be more like taking the puppy out to play fetch!  :))

Cap'n Bob said:
S Smith said:
Congrats John!!!  I bet you are excited to get that new beast out fro a ride.  :motonoises:

Come on, John's coming from a hopped up ZX14. His new C14 is going to seem pretty tame by comparison. To John, it will probably be more like taking the puppy out to play fetch!  :))

Yes, I'm getting a good deal and the Finance Manager is handling it himself to make sure I get lots of add-ons like maintenance contract and extended warranty. Plus they will put my new PR3s on for me no charge, and the Genmar risers.

I fully realize it will be a much more sedate beast than my ZX14. I'm used to unlinked brakes, and have trained to the point of 40mph full rear lockups with no loss of control or change in straight path direction. Riding a bike like that requires full mastery of the power and controls, the ability to unswervingly sit upright head up eyes pointed where you want to go or stop. What I am moving to is no less a stellar machine, but also not something I will be tempted to try to do stoppies with.

Yet the stuff I learned forcing the ZX14 around cones based on Ride Like A Pro, feathering the clutch, rpms just above idle, actually turning the bars, will carry over into the C14 100%.

I hope to become as good a C14 rider as I am a ZX14 rider, with far less need to go fast enough to lose my license for 6 months than existed just a year ago.

After I ride the C14 to Arkansas, I'm sure any remnants of regret at giving up the ZX14 will fade away.

And after my mc's ride to the Great Smokey Mountains / Deals Gap, I will have a photo of me on the Dragon with my new C14 (going slow) and that will become my forum avatar. :)

Well, its goodbye for real. Wednesday (15th) after work, I'm putting on my 1-piece insulated rain suit and insulated gloves and boots, and riding my ZX14 over to the dealer to trade it in. While there they will work up the final numbers and I could have it Thursday or Friday.

94gixxerod said:
John, is that a trip to Twiggs Cycles?

Roger that. I've dealt with Twigg since old man Twigg and Kitchen had the Harley dealership on Cannon Avenue in Hagerstown, MD.

If I can get a ride over, I can pick my new Connie up tomorrow (Friday) afternoon around 3pm. Trying to get my nephews to ferry me over, but they aren't answering phones right now. I'm like a cat on a hot tin roof.  :motonoises: