• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GPS or Radar Detector (if you had a choice to buy just one)

edpatrickhanley1137

Title says it all.
Ride about 10k-12k/year usually on several longer distant tours.
Can only afford one option this year?
What would you do, which would you buy?

Title says it all.
GPS in an instant, especially if you are touring / long rides that can cover lots of unknown territory.

IMO value for the radar detector is meh…. We ride in a spirited fashion and have not had a full on speeding ticket (some warnings yes) in 10 plus years. Use the GPS on nearly every ride and have worry-free route planning allowing us to see and experience much more.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

Without a second thought, GPS. Although I never had a problem using maps, sight and my mind to navigate my direction and did for many decades. The GPS just makes it much easier. Although you still need to use your sight and mind when following the GPS as not to turn down a railroad track instead of a road and such. The GPS just works for most situations. Plus you can ask it for food, gas, lodging, museums, etc.
Where as a radar detector basically gives you a false sense of security to break the law. A lot of times it works and gives you warning of a possible invitation for a traffic citation. A lot of times it doesn't or warns you too late. As such I feel you're playing with fire if you depend on them other than driving/riding smart and using the radar detector as just an aid that might work, but might not. I have owned quite a few radar detectors over the years. But honestly stopped using them and instead try to be smart if I may exceed posted speed limits. But as I get older, I find that my desire to push the limits has reduced.

Hands down.... GPS. My choice would be Garmin Zumo XT. It may still be on sale $100 off all over. If you miss this sale, wait. It goes on sale several times per year.

I agree on above sentiments on the value of radar/laser detector. A no-cost option if already using a bluetooth helmet headset is to use the mobile app Waze. This uses crowd-sourced location of roadway issues, including LEO.

If you live where I do, the radar detector is illegal. If you are using any type of Bluetooth headset go with a motorcycle GPS. They will turn by turn to the headset. Auto units will not. I haven't upgraded to a Zumo xt yet, but have both a 396 and a 595. With the live time maps they still work very well and you may be able to find one used at a reduced price.

Title says it all.
I agree with all of the other folks, that is, yes, a motorcycle type GPS. It will cost more than an automotive one, but it will be worth it if when/if you get Bluetooth in your helmet and when you are riding on a bright day. It also seems to help with speeding in that the speed readout is so accurate that I have ridden through many a speed trap at 5 over the limit and as I look back at the LEO in my mirror expecting it to pull out behind me ...it doesn't. (Notice how I didn't assign the leo a pronoun??? ...what's happening to me? :eek: {this is not an invitation to start a political ranting...I just thought it was funny after I read it.})

However, if you habitually speed 10 mph or more over the limit on straight sections and while slabbing, then maybe a radar detector would be more fiscally responsible...in which case I recommend a Valentine One.
Steve is correct though that the WAZE app is a great asset for finding LEO ahead of you, but never as accurate as a radar detector (LEO like to move about) so even if WAZE shows them on the other side of the road (my WAZE does not currently verbally announce the other side) assume they have moved to your side since reported.
Radar detectors have vastly improved over the years, the Whistler I had back in the '90s was great at finding automatic door openers at grocery stores, drug stores, and Home Depots, but that made it have a credibility problem when it found a real speed radar. My Valentine One is much better even in today's world with many vehicles with bumper sensors and adaptive laser cruise controls which my Whistler never had to contend with.

My required off topic section (it's what I do): My hope is that someday self driving vehicles will have a special signal (similar to an aircraft transponder) that will signal our phones and radar detectors that they are near us so we can keep an eye out for them since we (motorcyclists) may not always present as a valid vehicle entity/presence to their sensors. :unsure:

I've run radar at work - There's no practically benefit to owning a radar detector because the person running radar waits until he sees a vehicle he/she can visually determine is speeding and then triggers the instant on and locks the target speed within seconds. While the unit is in standby it does not emit a detectable signal. The only 2 ways a radar detector will provide warning is if the trooper leaves the unit on before you come into range - or photo radar if you are in a state that uses it. But a focused trooper utilizing 30 year old technology can easily defeat a detector. When you are stopped because the detector didn't detect a signal until it was too late you can forget about getting let go with a warning.
GPS by far is more practical - as mentioned earlier the Zumo XT is an amazing unit.

....and when I worked the street, if u had a detector when I stopped you, it was an automatic no warning scenario. $$$

In this State, I have no choice - GPS. Radar detectors are illegal here.

Having said that, I also carry paper maps for the areas I intended on traveling in - JIC. The Garmin ZUMO I bought used quite a few years ago has had 2 digitizer/screens replaced, as well as the main battery, the internal battery, and the key pads. Fortunately, I was able to do all of the stuff. It's still going strong..... and have another digitizer/screen sitting in reserve in case the current one dies.

Never really wanted one, but my family got me a cheapie that worked pretty good given its limitations. Was a real help when doing our local and State Tag-o-ramas. When it died, I bought a new Garmin something at Best Buy, but it sucked sp took it back. That's when a local ADV inmate told me he had one for sale at a pretty good price with lifetime map upgrades, so scoffed it up, No regrets.

GPS without a doubt. Admittedly, some riding styles would demand a radar detector over a GPS. I find the functionality of a moto specific GPS to be handy/fun close to home, however invaluable on tour. Some data points a GPS can provide:

How long to sunset (deer, or just when do I need to get off the road or trail)
How far to fuel stop
Average traveling MPH (with or without stops)
Compass direction of travel
Temperature
Automatically adjusting all estimates when entering a new time zone
Calculator to verify MPG (not as handy on the Concours)
Ability to view texts (not a safe feature but it's there)
Local Weather Reports

What I wouldn't like about visual alert is not knowing what band I was picking up.
The visual alert on my last detector was just visual. But it used three LED's aimed at my face, that got your attention pretty good. But it also had the audio part it used in conjunction. I had the audio in my helmet (along with the GPS and such) that differentiated between bands by the different tones. The combination did work quite well when it alarmed on time. But in all honesty, I normally took any alert as a reason not to push it and act accordingly just in case. Assess the situation second to determine possible threats.. If I deemed the alarm a low or high threat. I then would adapt to the situation. And here's where I can state the obvious. Blind dependance on the radar detector, is a sure fire way to get your very own performance award. :rolleyes:

I love my Gen 1 Valentine One. I've no doubt it's saved me many times. For directions I just use google maps. Last trip was 4k miles. If I had to give up one, it would definitely be the radar detector.