• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Grounding issue on rear subframe

Fred H.

I was doing some electrical work on my bike tonight and noticed a problem with my brake relay I added for my cruise control. I had it grounded (or so I thought) to the bolt on the subframe as seen in the photo below . After doing some checks, I discovered almost 14K ohms of resistance between my ground point and the battery ground connection. So just beware, the entire rear of the bike may not be at ground. I added a new permanent ground lead between the battery and rear subframe to fix this problem.
medium.jpg

Fred: I'm new to the COG. Sold my R1100RT and I'm really enjoying the C14. Very warm bike compared to RT but I'll deal with that later. Now, I'm looking for some simple instructions on hardwiring a 5 volt power adapter for my XM portable unit. From looking at the forums for the last few months, you seem to be the guru, particularly on electrics. I know enough to be dangerous and I'd like some advice or a link to a good site for instructions. I see that there are adapters that might be available, but I want a ignition on only power source. By the way, I know the C14 is relatively new, but isn't there a shop manual yet? I had a Haynes manual for my BMW and it was great. Sorry for so many questions, some of which I suspect really reveal my ignorance. Any help you could offer would be appreciated.

I just used a ground lug that I took off the battery. It's a lug on the end of a wire connected to the negative battery. I use that for all the farkels. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2638311280103513287fDmUTZ_th.jpg

Howdy, As far as a manual goes I bought an electronic copy right after I got my Connie 14 in Aug. on line. I believe I just did a google search to find it. If I remember correctly it was about $20. When I need to do some work on the bike I just print the pages I need. This way you're always assured of having a clean readable copy. Later, Norm