• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Growing Trend?

I am not an atgatt (All the gear, all the time) rider more like a mtgmtt (Most of the gear, most of the time). I wear a high visability vest over my jacket, I have light brights on my saddlebags etc.  I do this because I want to be seen, especially in NY traffic, especially at night.  Problem is none of this high visability gear works when cagers are not using their headlights.

I continue to witness more and more people driving around at night without headlights and only parking lights.  Is this a growing trend elsewhere?

I do see an increase of this in California (no headlights when it is getting dark enough to need them). I also see a lot of cars with in-op tail lights with the headlights on. Not sure how that could happen unless it is due to wire damage after renting a trailer (the rental shops often use crappy insulation displacement connectors to hook up the trailer lights and they can damage the host wires).

It would seem to me that it would be a benefit to safety to have a "light status map" on the dash to confirm properly operating lights on all four corners of the vehicle. This could easily be done with fiber optics and I've considered doing it to my vehicles (although it would be a royal PITA to do).

As far as those who drive with no headlights, they are obviously not looking at the dash since they wouldn't have an indsrument panel and it would be obvious.

Dan

Bergmen said:
It would seem to me that it would be a benefit to safety to have a "light status map" on the dash to confirm properly operating lights on all four corners of the vehicle. This could easily be done with fiber optics and I've considered doing it to my vehicles (although it would be a royal PITA to do).

In days of not-too-distant-yore some vehicles came with little rear-facing indicators on the front fenders and front-facing indicators on the rear fenders with fiber-optic dots to let the driver visually confirm light operation (rear were checked in the rear-view mirrors).  Same utility as you describe but much simpler than routing all the way to the dash.

Like most monitoring/warning systems: useful for the attentive, useless for the inattentive.

Like most monitoring/warning systems: useful for the attentive, useless for the inattentive.
[/quote]

In all things.....this is true!

Bergmen said:
I do see an increase of this in California (no headlights when it is getting dark enough to need them). I also see a lot of cars with in-op tail lights with the headlights on. Not sure how that could happen unless it is due to wire damage after renting a trailer (the rental shops often use crappy insulation displacement connectors to hook up the trailer lights and they can damage the host wires).
There are a number of vehicles that have daytime running lights.  That means the headlights are on all the time.  However, you can hop in one of these vehicles and begin driving after dark without turning on the lights because... hey, they're already on.  But in reality only the headlights are on until you turn on the light switch.  My Tundra was this was as is my current Grand Vitara and I have to REMEMBER to turn on the lights because simply starting the car gets headlamps and the ability to see where you are going.  My Solara, on the other hand, turns on the appropriate lights for conditions. Headlamps for daylight, all lamps for dusk to dark.  THis is one situation that really proves IMHO that daytime running lamps are actually more hazardous than not.

I have to say...people are getting lazier and more stupid with more technology. I may be an odd one, but I do pre-drive start ups and post-drive shutdowns. Like turning the lights on and off, turning down the radio, turning off the fan...People in general have forgotten that driving involves piloting two plus tons of vehicle down the road. I know I' m preaching to the choir, and you know it is the truth. Texting, tweeting, talking on the phone, messing with the radio/gps/ipod, putting on their war paint, reading the paper or a book, and just the other day...doing crossword. No one is driving anymore and it is really beginning to piss me off!

Amen, Handyman!  I complained to my wife about daytime running lights on anything but motorcycles and she asked me that I have stated more than a few hundred times that lights are good, because they help other people see us (motorcyclists).  That addage is not ture if everyone has daytime running lamps.  We become a spot in a sea of lights.  Our advantage of daytime lights is slipping away and if Rev Ryder is right than this is affecting our battles during the night as well.

A Harley rider got behind me once with what seemed like a 2000W headlamp, blinded me and everyone else but maybe he got it right.  Wish common sense or pragmatism would reign but unfortunately sense ain't common anymore and pragmatism has moved to a different country.

I think I may install a new powerlet plug for Xmas and wrap a string of Xmas tree lights around me and Nicodemus.

A Harley rider got behind me once with what seemed like a 2000W headlamp, blinded me and everyone else but maybe he got it right.

That’s what I observe as a growing problem in the motorcycle community, lights that are too powerful and usually incorrectly aimed sometimes.

Last summer at about 4:30 AM a came rider behind me as I approached the entrance gate to the base.  Just before I took off I actually had to sight down my mirrors cause he was blinding me from behind, it didn’t get much better with distance.  As I approached the second gate (I have three to go through) I came to the stop area and decided to wait for him.  I asked if he had his brights on and he said no, asked him if he could tone down the lights and he gave me a dirty look and sneer and speed off.  It probably wasn’t the headlamp as much as the two drive lights that Harley Road Kings have.  Never saw him again but if I do I'll make sure to get behind him and show him wait 200 watts look like from the rear.  If he wants to start some sh%t Ill show him what his teeth look like outside of his mouth....   

I've got HIDs on my ZX14, but I adjusted them per the service manual. So they don't bother anyone.

Never get flashes from oncoming cars, never get complaints from other riders.

Of course, if you don't know how to adjust your headlights, it could be a problem. LOL.

back in "the day" when I smoked weed, I didn't need headlights. Maybe that's the story with the vehicles you see darked out  :-\ Steve

Most times extra or bright lights are used for "hey, I'm over here" safety factor... but in some cases I suppose it for the "hey, look at me" ego factor.

My wife's Mailbu has automatic lights.  If it's dark enough, they come on.  Handy feature that almost got me in trouble once.  I'd rented a Toyota Camry to drive home to Iowa, and had been out visiting my brothers (w/ my 74 yr old mother in the car).  The Camry's dash lights light up when the car is running, so I mistakenly thought the headlights were on.  Didn't notice them not being on as I drove down the main drag of town at 9:30PM but the city police sure did!  It was january and I froze my butt off while doing a full-on DUI test on the side of the road.  I ALWAYS double-check my headlights now ;P

people tend to hold off on turning their lights on in the city because there are more street lights in urban areas compared to surburban and rural areas. but I've noticed on occasion in rural areas some drivers don't have their lights on during dusk periods. they must have great night vision!.