• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GVWR Question

bigdt73

Bicycle
So I have a question about GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating), specifically is there a way to increase the weight rating?  Does anybody know what it is that determines the overall GVWR or is it a collection of things such as tires, swingarm, suspension/shocks, axles, etc... 

In case you're wondering, it's because I stand 6'5" tall and weigh between 290-310 lbs depending on the time of year.  With my riding gear and anything else that I might pack into a saddle bag, I'm close to or in excess of 350 lbs which leaves no room for a passenger with most M/C weight ratings at or below 450.  So, is there a way of increasing the weight rating by upgrading tires, shocks, etc.. or am I limited to what the manufacturer has established.

Thank you in advance.
D

You can't increase the legal GVWR as established by the Mfg. However you can increase the functional ability of the bike to handle greater weight. Just be aware that doing so will make you personally liable for any damage incurred.
  Now, with the mumbo jumbo out of the way, what you can and should do is upgrade the suspension specifically for the added weight. Any competent suspension shop should be able to provide the correct springs you'll need. This will help the bike handle better. What it won't do is raise the GVRW. The hard physical components, swing arm, frame, forks,etall will always be the limiting factor. The choice as well as the responsibility is yours. I have made multi day trips loaded with rider, passenger and gear in excess of 500lbs without problems.

GVWR is limited by the lowest rated component in the mix. It can't be "legally" exceeded or increased. If the tires are the lowest rated component, that's an easy fix. Springs/shocks, wheels, axles, etc can be more difficult but anything can be upgraded provided there was a heavier built part(s) made. But, in the end, you are still most likely limited by what the build tag rates the GVWR at if it gets down to an inspection or liability issue.
Sorry for the repetition.

Parts like tires, bearings, and fork seals will wear a little faster. Handling will be compromised, but then again you probably won't be dragging a knee with a passenger. I overload my ST1300 everytime my wife rides with me. The front end gets a little lite, which makes it handle poorly in high wind or bad roads. Plus braking distances increase. Those are just things you have to plan for. We have probably 50K miles riding together with no problems.

Thank you all for the feedback and it's pretty much what I suspected, unfortunately.  I guess my fiance and I will have to go on diets if we want to do any 2-up riding... lol

I think it's very common (even though not recommended) to be over GVWR when two up, especially when carrying additional gear. Perhaps even for those that don't think they are exceeding, I'll bet the majority are over.

Jim_Sherman_ID said:
Buy her a motorcycle and teach her to ride.

She had a bad experience in the past (before we met) and she is finally working up the nerve to get back on a bike.  I was hoping to get her confidence up with a couple of 2-up rides and easing into the experience once again.  Neither one of us could be considered "small" since she's 5'10".  I'm hoping that she will eventually want to learn how to ride her own bike after she gets a little confidence back.