• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Headlight Replacement

ncdave

Training Wheels
I did a search and could not find any useful info, but can someone tell me how to remove the headlight bulb? Primarily, can you reach the bulb from under the front of the fairing, or do you need to remove some plastic? My low beam went out over the weekend. :(

That happened to me too, when I stopped to get gas one time. I left the station and started down the road (and it was dark mind you) and I started thinking, man it's awful dark on this road... Fortunately high-beam was good. You can reach the bulb by reaching under the fairing, it's an exercise in patience but I did it and if I can do it, you're a guaranteed winner. :)

Thanks Brett. After getting home from the Outer Banks trip yesterday, I was too pooped to dig into it. I was hoping that it would be reach-able. Plan to take it out and then figure out what to replace it with.

I can be done by reaching under the fairing. Personally if I do this in the garage I remove the inner fairing panel with the fairing pocket as it makes reaching in there a breeze and you can see what you are going. 2003 Concours, 48K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

as for steps, you have to remove the plug. Then remove the rubber seal, then there is a clip that holds the bulb in place to loosen. Then you can swap the bulb, redo clip, install rubber seal and plug it back in. 2003 Concours, 48K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

The clip's funky, which makes it tricky to do by feel. That's where patience came in for me. Still, I got it after a couple of minutes of fidgetry.

My son was trying to show me how easy it is to just turn the bars hard left and reach in through the gap in front of the tank. It was easy until he dropped and broke the good bulb. that was in the bike. By the way Local STEALER wants $55. to order me one and hes not sure of the part # Hooray for Wally World. 2 for $20 1990 Aint she a pretty Tomato (the bike ofcourse) wedshots albums http://community.webshots.com/user/sawfiler64/albums/most-recent

Thanks everyone for the input. I succeeded in getting the clip undone and the old bulb out. I'll stop on the way home this evening to get a replacement. I should be able to find one at an auto parts store, correct? I would have gone last night, but I was busy prepping the triumph for the track this weekend. :)

I "just" did this myself.. (blown low beam).. I couldn't reach it from beneath, so, I removed the left "lockable compartment" and plastic. Turned the handlebars full left, and reached everything from above. Not really that hard, but the "Clymer's" manual didn't tell me to simply pull the rubber boot off the bulb housing by peeling it from the housing.

Yeah, the boot's on there pretty good. Those halogen bulbs don't take kindly to anything touching their glass so I guess that's to be expected. You should be able to get the bulb anywhere, I got a Sylvania at Advance Autoparts. Brighter and whiter than the original bulb and I'm quite pleased with it. You can also order them from Murph and they'll ship same day in my experience. $55 for the bulb from the dealer? Has he got a boat payment due or something?

If memory serves it's a standard H4 bulb, available in auto parts stores, WalMart, Target, truck stops, even mini-marts. It is indeed an exercise in patience, somewhat akin to building a ship in bottle while blindfolded. It can be done, however, as even Yr Obdnt Srvnt, known around here as "10 Thumbs," has done it on several occasions. The hardest part is getting the bazz-fazz boot back on.