• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Heated Grips

What have you guys put on your C14's? I'm looking for the most efficient, practical, and good looking set-up for our bikes. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. Claude / BC, Canada COG #8173 2008 C14 aka Ribbit II I'm BACK boy's!!!

i put on a set from cycle gear, the brand was trackside. showchrome accesories has the same set under thier name as well. they are grips with built in elements, so install is easy. all connections are plug and play and the it has a rheostat instead of a hi/lo switch. the kit was less than $60. the grips are closed ends, but you can carefully shave off the ends until you reach the element and they will fit fine. they are not listed on their website, but the stores i have been to carry them. Tom Hess North Charleston, SC COG #8406 IBA #30337 CDA #248 (C10) 97 c10 (former) 08 c14 (current)

I bought a nice set: http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?store_code=CST&screen=PROD&product_code=16025 It was easy to install and the rocker switch looks good. I don't know why but they make it so that the clutch doesn't heat up as much as the trottle so you feel a little uneven with heat but MAN do your hands stay warm. It took me about 30 minutes to tie them into my C-14. 15 minutes just to get the hand grips off. A good trick to get the hand grips off is to put a little dish washing liquid in some water and then peel back the grip a little and work a little of the water under the grip. It slides right off. Do the same when you put the grip back on. Let it dry in the sun and the grips stick like glue. They reccommend you glue the grips on but I didn't and my grips don't slip at all.

Usually grips feel uneven in heat because of the environment. Not the weather but what the heaters are close to. One is wrapped around a medal bar and sometimes the grip has thicker rubber so you would feel less heat from this one. The throttle side has a plastic tube the heater wraps around and a thinner grip rubber sometimes to make up for the difference in size from the other grip. If the heat made by both is the same then the throttle side should feel hotter. ---------------------------------- I will answer any question. It is up to you to figure out if I should have.
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

No really, they actually make the grip heaters with different resistance and purposely design them to heat the throttle more than the clutch.

Thanks for the info guys........just keep'em coming. There's gotta be more then one way to skin the cat??? Claude / BC, Canada COG #8173 2008 C14 aka Ribbit II I'm BACK boy's!!!

Frog, I put Hot Grips on my C-14. I've used them before and liked them. The diameter of the grips is larger (the stock grips were too small for my hands) and they give off a good consistent heat. You can get the info from the website -- HotGrips.com. Give them a call and they can give you the needed advice.

I have Symtex heaters that Murph sells. I also use Murphs great grips. They work well together. One thing though. When you install grip heaters, tape the clutch side handlebar. The metal acts like a heat sink. Taping it makes the grip heater work better.

I was told by the dealer where I bought my C14 that all the aftermarket heated grip suppliers state that you can't put their heated grips on a bike with aluminum handlebars. I just joined COG and see where people are putting them on. What's up?? I'm wondering if heated gloves might be a better alternative anyway? Thanks for any help.

Ron, your email address is giving this error: "Invalid mailbox: rfairchild@neo.rr.com" Forum Admin -- COG Forum Admin

While a lot more expensive, I like heated gloves a lot better. The heated grips work under a narrower range of temperatures, IMO of course. In the cold they worked good on the palms and hand ok, but my fingertips still get too cold. I just dont grip the bars tight enough to get the finger tips on there. I have recently seen some heated grips used with hippo hands. I think they may work a lot better in this use versus just open hands. Never tried it on an M/C. I got my heated grips from Murphs and use them with Murphs grips. It has been suggested to me this are NOT the best combination as the grips are too thick and dont allow the best heat transfer. That I would like them a lot better with more appropriate grips. The snowmobiling industry is always used as an argument for how well heated grips work. I dont have a snowmobile. I have a few friends that do, and the grips work well. However there are some differncces in the grips, windshield weather protection for the hands, designed in versus aftermarket after thought, even the gloves used. Still that leads me to believe that heated grips done right could provide a better experience that I currently have on the Connie. I think the heated grips / hippohands combo would be closer setup. At this point though having heated gloves, the grip heaters are not used, and amount to a nice backup just in case. 2003 Concours, 46K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
IMGP1036.jpg
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

My recommendation for heated grips is to put the Symtecs right over the stock grips and then put Grip Puppies over them (that's how I have my Wee Strom set-up). Add a Heat Troller and you will have very happy hands. I also use Gerbings heated gloves and my hands are always warm. The grip heaters heat the palm and the gloves heat the back of the hand. Roger ('07 Wee Strom) COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA

Here in Central Tx, the winters aren't so bad that you have to put your bike up for the winter. Actually riding in the winter months can be more pleasant than riding in the summer. I got grip heaters from Dual-star (http://www.dual-star.com/index2/Rider/heated_grip_kit1.htm ). They offer a nice addon in the form of a piece of heat-shrink that you put on the clutch handle bar. This keeps the heat from being drained away by the metal bar. Well worth the added bucks. Installation is a snap and you don't have to mess with plugging in gloves.