• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Help! I don't know where to start...

Brent_OR

Tricycle
Hi Everyone! I just bought my first Connie a few weeks ago--a beautiful 2003, well cared bike with around 25k. I just joined COG the other night--I have to say this website helped me make a decision on what bike I was buying and so far I have been very, very happy! It has been running great until yesterday. Yesterday morning on my way to workout, it was missing in the low rpms. I didn't notice it at idle, but as I'd take off from a stop it became real apparent after moving just a few feet--In fact I killed it at two lights... It ran rough until I hit between 3-3.5k rpms in every gear... Yesterday, on my way home, two hours later it ran fine? I thought I was in the clear, but last night on my way to work (I work nights) it did the same thing... When I arrived at work, I poured a half bottle of isoheat into the tank and idled the bike for about 10 minutes--sounded great... This morning on my way home it ran rougher and rougher and by the time I got home (25min ride) I was limping her in on 3 cylinders???? I'm not much of a wrench but am willing to try! Could someone help me with a plan of attack? I'd most appreciate it!!! Thanks so much, Brent

We'll need a bot more info... my initial thigs to check are for fouled plugs for kinked fuel lines for crud in the carbs (drain the bowls and look for sediment) Try using a quality fuel system cleaner fro a few tank fulls. (2 products come to mind - Chevron Techron or Seafoam) -- Steve Smith, #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Check the cheap things first. 1. Spark plug wires/boots all the way down on the plugs? 2. Fouled plugs? 3. Kinked fuel line? 4. Cogged fuel filter and or petcock filter? 5. Water in the gas? 6. Crap in your carbs? 7. All wire connections tight? Including battery terminals? 8. Vacuum lines are connnected? #3 carb vacuum line plug still there? 9. Vapor locking fuel filler? Does it do this with a full tank of gas and then exhibit these systoms when almost empty? 10. Running out of gas? Check these all out. Most likely it is a simple fix. BEst of luck and let us know what you find! AKA "2linby" That's 2-lin-by folks! Northwest Area Director COG #5539 AMA #927779 IBA #15034 TEAM OREGON MC Instructor http://community.webshots.com/user/2linby http://tinyurl.com/njas8 (IBA BunBurner Gold Trip) http://tinyurl.com/lwelx (Alaska trip)

Carb needle/seat problem coming and going. Pull your plugs and see if one is darker than the other. Replace that plug as it may be fouled. Drop that float bowl; clean and/or replace the needle/seat....

with the petcock on "RUN" drain all the float bowls from the fittings on the bottom, then pull the fuel line off the petcock and drain a substantil amount of fuel from it with the petcock turned to 'PRIME", return the lever to RUN, and then reconnect the fuel line. Refill the float bowls with the lever on PRIME for about 20 seconds, and return it to RUN again. Drain them again. then add the ISOHEET, and start the engine. If the fuel in the tank has been sitting for more than a month, I would forgo all of this, and just get a ten gallon fuel can, and drain the complete tank, treat it with IsoHeet, and put it in your truck, and refill the bike with fresh fuel, and a bottle of the IsoHeet. If it has clogged low speed circuits due to neglect/water, it will be necessary to remove and clean the carbs, exhaust all I have said prior before going to that extent.
2550418850015463693SQtyXF_th.jpg
2897924420015463693CnEofH_th.jpg
Rich Riczinger COG 5977 Tech Editor,The Concourier

The good news is the bike's fixed! Checked all wire/battery connections--all looked good. Replaced all the plugs although the 4 I took out looked okay--a bit old maybe? Drained the float bowls in 1 and 4--didn't have a tool to reach the inside ones--will have to fix that I see... The gas looked good--no signs of rust, crud or water? I'm concluding it could have been a plug or maybe a plug wire or even crud in a carb? Whatever it was, it's fixed and I had fun working on the bike (a good friend came over and helped too.) Thanks so much for the needed direction you guys--I really appreciate it and hope I can sometime return the favor! --Brent