• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Help, viewpoints wanted please

GKreamer

Street Cruiser
First: yes I know I'm all over the place.

I have a 2002 C10, and I want a new motorcycle. I'm looking at a new 2017 C14 and I've PM'd a member selling their 2016 C14.  I also saw a 2014 Honda CTX1300 at a local dealer that I personally like.  Found the deluxe model of that bike in MD for just under $9K, 2014 brand new, never sold.

I've had Honda's before, a 2000 VT1100C2  and a 2005 Sabre 1100.  First bike was a 1988 VTX800.  My real concern with the CTX 1300 is that they were made only year, second concern is that this bike has like zero miles and is a 2014.

This is my second Connie and I really like it, but I'd like a more relaxed riding posture.  I primarily use my motorcycle for commuting and occasionally pleasure riding (like last years National).

I guess I'm saying I want something comfortable that I can commute on easily and that is fun to ride on the rare occasions I actually go somewhere specifically for motorcycle riding?  My first Connie got treated to the Tail of the Dragon in 2005, would like to go again someday.

I looked at the CTX 1300 briefly when it came out new. It seems to be one of those one of a kind bikes that either speaks to you or not. What turned me off was the cruiser like seating and the "organic"styling that screamed "no resale" value. But  of course, it also just might turn into one of those "one in a generation" bikes that turns out to be highly collectible. Bottom line is that  it was not right for me at the time because we ride two up a lot. The C14 and 2008 wing both take care of that. Now I have trouble deciding which to ride on a given moment.  ;D

Ask what speaks to you? If a given bike does not get heart excited, may it's not  the one.

Ron, what was no good about 2-up on the CTX?

Been a while since I looked at them, I thought they had a good setup for 2-up, at least on the 1300 (but I really don’t remember). That and I’ve never even sat on one - sounds like you have.

I (sorta) looked into the weight capacity and without digging deeply it looked like we'd exceed the capacity. Don't remember what it  is, but at the time when ATGATT, I'd go about 280# plus my pillion who also rides ATGATT. With loaded bags at about 15-20# each, we would be way over the limit.  No idea  Seems like the limit was 410#. I know the C14 is about that, too, but maybe I just ready for it. The Goldwing is 417# or so. Just hated to push it. We'd ridden the C-10 okay, so I thought the C-14 would be okay. It is.

GKreamer, everyone has their own likes/dislikes on a bike.
I looked at the CTX and didn't like the styling.
    {I thought the bike would be more of a Touring or grocery getter than a sport touring}...
You said it was a 1 year production so I suspect it wasn't a big seller....

"But" others love it and there may be a following?.
  So, maybe there is a CTX Forum you can check out?

NOTE: You've ridden a C-10 and a C-14.
          You know your riding preferences..
          Before you go any further, I recommend doing a test ride on the Honda.
              Preferably one that goes a reasonable distance..
          As you ride, consider not only the feel, but also does it do what you want....

That ride will help you make your decision..

Ride safe, Ted

For what it's worth, I bought a 2008 Goldwing to go with the C-14. Oddly enough, it feels somewhat like a big fat long C-10 (if you can imagine a bigger, fatter, longer C-10). I guess it's the weather protection and more "stately" acceleration compared to the C-14.

ron203 said:
For what it's worth, I bought a 2008 Goldwing to go with the C-14. Oddly enough, it feels somewhat like a big fat long C-10 (if you can imagine a bigger, fatter, longer C-10)
When I'm on the C-10 it's definitely fatter...

While the ergonomics of the CTX are quite different from the ST1300, the engine is basically the same although tuned for even more low end power (if possible) and less on the top end. It will be like night/day compared to your C10 (I had two of them before the ST1300). Not that it's a bad thing, there is more power where you are more likely to use it most of the time for the kind of riding you perhaps intend to do. Most of the folks over on the ST owner's forum were not impressed with the changes in the engine mapping or the ergonomics, but that's a biased group given the "Sport Touring" theme most bought the current bike for. The mechanical/powertrain platform should be bulletproof as the ST's. Love the smoothness and quiet of the V4.
Suggest you try one out before dropping the cash. Suspect you would enjoy an ST 1300 more than you would the CTX over time.

I too was interested in the CTX1300 BEFORE Honda released it. Then I got close to one. Honda priced it in the 15ks as if it were competing with the sport tourers or big baggers yet it's refinements were minimal. No electronic windscreen, nor heated grips, is a 5 speed, heavy, bags are ridiculously small and single year warranty. Seems priced right now under 10k.

Diz said:
I too was interested in the CTX1300 BEFORE Honda released it. Then I got close to one. Honda priced it in the 15ks as if it were competing with the sport tourers or big baggers yet it's refinements were minimal. No electronic windscreen, nor heated grips, is a 5 speed, heavy, bags are ridiculously small and single year warranty. Seems priced right now under 10k.

Agree, less useful features (love my power adjustable w/s) than the discontinued ST's. Except on the 5 speed part. I was very leary going from the 6 speed C10 to something with "only" 5 and it took a fair amount of convincing from a fellow COG'er not to worry. The ST's are "just" 5 speeds also, but Honda has the gear ratio spreads so well done/matched to the great torque of the V4 and the final drive ratio makes for lower high gear cruising rpm than the C10. On my C10's I always wanted the SISF "7th gear", with the ST I've found myself on occasion forgetting to shift up to fifth. Five cogs are all that are needed when the power/torque "curve" is so broad and the gearing is well thought out.
Only way to find out if it's "the one" is to go ride one.

For what it's worth, my riding partner bought a 2014 CTX 1300, the only year it was made, and rode it for about 4 months and grew to hate this motorcycle. He said the suspension was terrible, it was way under powered, the turning radius was extreme and he was never able to get comfortable on the bike.
He paid $16,000 new and when he traded it in, after 4 months and 8,000 miles, he only got $8,000.  That is how much he disliked this motorcycle.
Brent

Thanks for the replies!  I've never bought a motorcycle from a dealer before, so is it common to not be allowed to test ride?

Unfortunately, because of insurance, (squids), etc, that is often the case.
But, sometimes you can be more convincing.

ie; Show up on your bike, let them know your not a squid.
    Let them know your financially responsible, and will go elsewhere to buy.
    Lastly, say; I'm interested, but I will not buy, without some sort of test ride.

If they refuse, find another shop.

Ride safe, Ted

"Show up on your bike, let them know your not a squid." ::)

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I resemble that.[/font] :eek: It's especially important if your in No f--k VAg--a :-X . Seriously, when I purchased my C14 we settled on the price then I asked about a test ride before signing or doing any paperwork. When the salesman said "That's not going to be possible" my answer was no test ride no sale. 10 minutes later I was following him toward the freeway on the C14.

Deepsea said:
"Show up on your bike, let them know your not a squid." ::)

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I resemble that.[/font] :eek: It's especially important if your in No f--k VAg--a :-X . Seriously, when I purchased my C14 we settled on the price then I asked about a test ride before signing or doing any paperwork. When the salesman said "That's not going to be possible" my answer was no test ride no sale. 10 minutes later I was following him toward the freeway on the C14.
Growing up in tbe DC area (and having a grandad, dad, uncle and later FIL all serve in the USN) I always thought squid=sailor.  NO OFFENSE INTENDED TO ANYONE!!  But I looked it up on urban dictionary:

A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreem riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid'

connie_rider said:
Unfortunately, because of insurance, (squids), etc, that is often the case.
But, sometimes you can be more convincing.

ie; Show up on your bike, let them know your not a squid.
    Let them know your financially responsible, and will go elsewhere to buy.
    Lastly, say; I'm interested, but I will not buy, without some sort of test ride.

If they refuse, find another shop.

Ride safe, Ted

That's how I got my ride. My local dealer + arriving on my C-10 in full riding gear = ride

Growing up in tbe DC area (and having a grandad, dad, uncle and later FIL all serve in the USN) I always thought squid=sailor.  NO OFFENSE INTENDED TO ANYONE!!  But I looked it up on urban dictionary:

A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreem riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid'

No offense taken. :)
In fact your definition still sounds just like any young and dumb sailor (Squid). :))

"Hey",,, I resemble that remark.  :-\

I was once, a young and dumb sailor (Squid).  :great:
Now, I'm an old and dumb retired sailor.

Ride safe, Ted

jettawreck said:
The ST's are "just" 5 speeds also, but Honda has the gear ratio spreads so well done/matched to the great torque of the V4 and the final drive ratio makes for lower high gear cruising rpm than the C10.

This is a very good point Jetta.

More low rpm torque over a shorter RPM range means fewer gears required (and one gear can cover a broader range of MPH because of that torque being able to produce sufficient HP at lower RPM).

More gears are used with engines that have a smaller range of peak power, to keep the engine in an RPM range where it’s actually producing power.

In the end - if the trans is well-matched to the engine performance, you won’t notice a “missing gear”. Of any company out there, I believe Honda would do a great job of matching (they don’t make much “pretty”, but what they do make tends to work well).

connie_rider said:
"Hey",,, I resemble that remark.  :-\

I was once, a young and dumb sailor (Squid).  :great:
Now, I'm an old and dumb retired sailor.

Ride safe, Ted

So now we can call you DR. Squid?

I like that, kinda catchy... :nananana: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great:

No success in test riding, but I did get to sit on a used CTX1300 and I fell in love with how it feels.  Much more relaxed position, and I don't think braking would push me forward and bother my shoulders like I'm noticing on my C10.

try another dealer. i absolutely refuse to buy a bike without a test ride. ive bought 8 bikes from dealerships, 4 int he past 5 years. Ive had them try that BS with me as well. they have to cover testrides on their insurance, they just don't like to do it.

Thanks.  I have financing already, so I figure if I walk in there with a bank draft that needs me to fill in the price and dealer name then sign, and I refuse w/o a test drive they'll cave.

I don't turn over bikes as often as the rest of you, but I've always been offered a test ride...before getting serious about buying the bike.  Three times at the Honda dealer.  Six times at the BMW/Yamaha dealer.  In each case, I'd ridden in on my current ride, so I had all my gear.  I did have to sign a legal document that basically said I was buying the bike if I did any damage to it at all.

BTW, I didn't buy them all.  But in each case, I was told to take it out and had no restrictions on where or how long to take it.

Chris

:D Money talks, BS walks. :)  If you walk in ready to pay cash (bank draft is cash) and they still refuse a test ride don't walk out, RUN.

GKreamer said:
Thanks.  I have financing already, so I figure if I walk in there with a bank draft that needs me to fill in the price and dealer name then sign, and I refuse w/o a test drive they'll cave.
It would be quite tempting to just walk in there and show them the check and then announce that I was going to another dealer to buy their 4 year old new bike because they didn't refuse a test ride.  There would be no talking me out of it.  As Mark just said, it's complete BS that they think they're special and can do as they please and get away with it.  There ARE some dealers out there that aren't complete A** wipes.  West Side Honda in Evansville, Indiana is one of the good guys.  Walked in with my buddy to test ride a new Wing.  No problems.  The owner was a really nice guy.  Seems like dealers like that are hard to find, but they're out there.

I think the CTX1300 is a nice bike for the money especially if you think you are keeping it for years.  The motor and drivetrain is very sound.  The styling I don't know.  But a brand new bike for $10k out the door is attractive, 3 grand more and you have a new C14 also which is also a great bike and bargain.  Would the CTX1300 need anything to make it right, such as a seat, windshield, etc?

A year or so ago, I rode into the only Triumph dealership in northern Ohio, THE only one, and asked to ride the new trophy as I was seriously thinking of replacing my 2001 C-10 and didn't want to spend $23,000 on a BMW RT. "No way, no how, ain't gonna happen, forget it"......And, it was roped off so you couldn't even sit on it. The bike sat there on the floor for 2 years. I went by recently and they had closed. With a business attitude like that its no wonder Triumph is even still in business, oh, well, they aren't in northern Ohio. Getting back to the original question, if it fits, wear it, if you like it, buy it.

Not sure where your located?
I was doing a search to see a photo of the CTX1300 and came across this info on CycleTrader.com. {Below}
Prices varied a lot, but One bike (2014/new) located in Des Plaines Illinois is $6999... {1 833-276-5886}
Another was approx. $7600, and the highest around $9500...

Ride safe, Ted

Honda CTX 1300 Motorcycles for sale

Browse Honda CTX 1300 Motorcycles for sale on CycleTrader.com. View our entire inventory of New Or Used Honda Motorcycles. CycleTrader.com always has the largest selection of New Or Used Motorcycles for sale anywhere.

Arkansas (1)
California (4)
Colorado (4)
Florida (21)
Georgia (5)
Illinois (6)
Iowa (4)
Kansas (1)
Maryland (3)
Michigan (2)
Missouri (7)
Nebraska (1)
New York (2)
North Carolina (6)
Ohio (3)
Oklahoma (1)
Oregon (1)
Pennsylvania (6)
Tennessee (2)
Texas (12)
Virginia (3)
Washington (4)
Wisconsin (3)

Roger B said:
I think the CTX1300 is a nice bike for the money especially if you think you are keeping it for years.  The motor and drivetrain is very sound.  The styling I don't know.  But a brand new bike for $10k out the door is attractive, 3 grand more and you have a new C14 also which is also a great bike and bargain.  Would the CTX1300 need anything to make it right, such as a seat, windshield, etc?
Maybe a taller windshield, the seat is terrific!

connie_rider said:
Not sure where your located?
I was doing a search to see a photo of the CTX1300 and came across this info on CycleTrader.com. {Below}
Prices varied a lot, but One bike (2014/new) located in Des Plaines Illinois is $6999... {1 833-276-5886}
Another was approx. $7600, and the highest around $9500...

Ride safe, Ted
Thanks Ted!

Good deal. Congrats. Can't wait to get the firsthand review and  see the pictures!

GKreamer said:

I guess I'm saying I want something comfortable that I can commute on easily and that is fun to ride on the rare occasions I actually go somewhere specifically for motorcycle riding?  My first Connie got treated to the Tail of the Dragon in 2005, would like to go again someday.

You just described my Goldwing.

enhance

Looks bigger than the Connie, but feels much lighter.

Good luck!

Roger B said:
And how much and from where.
Wound up buying from Track 'N' Trail in State College PA.  They had the best price on a new (ZERO miles) 2014 CTX 1300 Deluxe and the most reasonable fees (freight, dealer prep and processing) of $149+$149+$99.  Local dealer near me in VA wanted $780+$489+$149 for the same.  I basically got a Deluxe model (ABS & Traction Control) for the price of a Standard model at my local dealer.

ron203 said:
Good deal. Congrats. Can't wait to get the firsthand review and  see the pictures!
Thanks Ron!!  I'm really liking this new ride!  Got her with 0 on the odometer and now have 240 as of Saturday.  Commuted to/from work last week Wednesday-Friday.  Had to lower the bars a bit as they were setup more like an ATV.  Friday's ride home was the best- horrible holiday weekend combined with Friday in NoVA meant the 35 miles down I-95 was a parking lot so I took back roads- 60 miles worth.  This bike also has Bluetooth and speakers so I really enjoyed that.  Weather was perfect and no traffic- go to test her a little, but not to much as I'm still in the break-in period.

I'll post pics today!

I also got to boast of Shoodaben Engineering's excellent carb work.  The drive to the dealer took about 5+ hours. Learned my lesson from last years National and did not exceed 60MPH to spare the wheel bearings on the U-Haul trailer I rented ($26.00 for the whole rental!).  Was slowed down around Hagerstown, MD by the worst rainstorm I ever drove through.

When I got there the bike was stone cold, I told him to use the enrichener just a bit for a minute or so.  Even with the old battery I put back in the Connie fired right up and after a minute was idling smooth as can be.  He took it over to the mechanic and I saw them smile as they revved it a bit and listened to the engine.  Made me a little sad... Until I got to pull my new bike onto the trailer!

Gonna have to either mod my trailer or get a new one, the rear tire on the CTX is a 200 and there's no way it'll fit- the C10 rear just barely fit.

Couple pics

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180529-225549.jpg
    Screenshot_20180529-225549.jpg
    348.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20180529_215032_1527649575008.jpg
    IMG_20180529_215032_1527649575008.jpg
    320.9 KB · Views: 127
Nice looking ride George.  That's an awful lot of bike for the money.  Enjoy it and tell us more about it. :beerchug:

Bud said:
Nice looking ride George.  That's an awful lot of bike for the money.  Enjoy it and tell us more about it. :beerchug:

+1 on what Bud says.  Enjoy the new ride! :motonoises: :motonoises:

Yep, agree with the above comments. Great looking and let us know what you think as you get some miles under you.
Lot of similarities, of course, but looks a lot easier to get at w/o all the extra tupperware of the ST. Shows off the curve of the header pipes and the wonderful V4 engine. I would much rather have that color than my blue 2004 version.
(If anyone has some easy rips on how to resize pics on an iPad, please let me know)

Attachments

• IMG_1445.JPG
    IMG_1445.JPG
    345.1 KB · Views: 112
jettawreck said:
Yep, agree with the above comments. Great looking and let us know what you think as you get some miles under you.
Lot of similarities, of course, but looks a lot easier to get at w/o all the extra tupperware of the ST. Shows off the curve of the header pipes and the wonderful V4 engine. I would much rather have that color than my blue 2004 version.
(If anyone has some easy rips on how to resize pics on an iPad, please let me know)

I posted this a good while back regarding photo resizing.  The best thing is that there is no software to install and it works regardless of the OS or device you are using.  Hopes this brings more pics to look at without having to rely on a photo hosting website that goes rogue.
http://forum.cog-online.org/say-anything-here-except-that!/super-simple-photo-resizer-httpwww-resize-photos-com/

Bud said:
jettawreck said:

I posted this a good while back regarding photo resizing.  The best thing is that there is no software to install and it works regardless of the OS or device you are using.  Hopes this brings more pics to look at without having to rely on a photo hosting website that goes rogue.
http://forum.cog-online.org/say-anything-here-except-that!/super-simple-photo-resizer-httpwww-resize-photos-com/

Thanks! Works good.

GKreamer said:

I have a 2002 C10, and I want a new motorcycle. I'm looking at a new 2017 C14 and I've PM'd a member selling their 2016 C14.  I also saw a 2014 Honda CTX1300 at a local dealer that I personally like.  Found the deluxe model of that bike in MD for just under $9K, 2014 brand new, never sold.

I've had Honda's before, a 2000 VT1100C2  and a 2005 Sabre 1100.  First bike was a 1988 VTX800.  My real concern with the CTX 1300 is that they were made only year, second concern is that this bike has like zero miles and is a 2014.

This is my second Connie and I really like it, but I'd like a more relaxed riding posture.  I primarily use my motorcycle for commuting and occasionally pleasure riding (like last years National).

Seems like the safe play is to buy a C14 and allocate some funds to relax the ergos to suit your taste. I had an ST1300. Nice bike, but not as fun to ride as my C14.

Gosh, I thought I had a great deal when I bought my 2014 CTX 700 in March for $4300.00 with 1700 miles and mine was only the faring model with tall factory windshield,no bags.  Not sure why the CTX 7's and 13's don't seem to sale very well, I am loving my 700.  But when I got the title I could tell it most likely sat at a dealers show room from 2014 to 2017 when the previous owner purchased it.   

So far I am loving the CTX.  It fits me like a glove!  Found a gentleman in Texas who makes tip over bars and highway peg mounts that I ordered, works great!  Added Kuryakyn Trident Dually pegs.  I did buy a Corbin seat as well as a few Honda OEM farkles that I'll be installing: 12V socket, center stand and taller windshield.  Put a G2 Ergonomics Throttle Tamer on along with Kuryakyn ISO grips and a Honda F6B adjustable clutch lever.  Those three make a world of difference to me.

Averaging 42mpg, pretty close to the C10.  Have 3,200 miles on her now, will change to fill synthetic at the next oil change.