• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Higher RPM - Better Traction Control šŸ‘

2andblue

COG Executive Director
Group see this video from FortNine (F9). Great explanations to the advantages of higher RPM riding and the trade-off to lower RPM use. Safety improvement of traction control response time at higher RPM is provocative of a bit more engine singing - that Kawi power plant sounds so awesome too BTW!

General note: I enjoy and appreciate the channelā€™s front manā€™s (Ryan Kluftinger) physics and communication expertise. Ryanā€™s tact unknowingly draws the viewer comfortably into a complex theory deconstruction then leads the viewer on an educational journey putting puzzle pieces back together piece by piece with theoretical explanations along the way.

F9 sets themselves apart from the less informed who ā€˜teachā€™ by making the average feel inferior; the only true inferior is that ā€˜educatorā€™.

Enjoy and check out some of F9ā€™s other content.

Wayne, Carol & Blue

I love the Fortnine videos!!!! After the higher RPM one, I have been experimenting with riding with higher revsā€¦ especially on curvy sections. It really does smooth things out and gives a great launch when past the apex. It has not negatively affected my fuel mileage as I would have expected, which is a bonus!

I have been using lower gears and higher RPM's in the twisties for years. As mentioned above it helps when returning to throttle after the apex. Downshifting upon entry to a sharp turn also helps with engine braking upon entry for me.

For those that are saying they use higher RPM's in the twisties, are you using 4000-7000 or 6000 to 10000 RPM's?
I use 4000-7000/8000 RPM's. & Seldom go to 10,000 RPM's as I come out of a turn.
ie; I'm relying more on torque than peak RPM's.

To add more controversy to the discussion; (After watching kzz1king's video) I found this video. <evil grin>
It will make you re-think your methods.

NOTE: At one of my first COG rides (23 years ago) I asked an "old" COGger about leaning in the turns.
That member told me to '"point" my chin at the inside corner of the windscreen.
In the video the Russian refers to this method as "Mirror kissing". (6:00+ minute mark)

I often tell newer COGgers to try Chin Pointing; Chin Pointing (Mirror Kissing) moves the upper portion of the body forward and in-ward and is a good way for newer riders to learn to do upper body movement. (y)

Old Guy admission: I still base my lean on "Chin Pointing" {but now I include "push my shoulder out into the wind" and seldom feel the need to "slide my azz".

Ride safe, Ted (yes, I'm old and slow)

For those that are saying they use higher RPM's in the twisties, are you using 4000-7000 or 6000 to 10000 RPM's?
I use 4000-7000/8000 RPM's. & Seldom go to 10,000 RPM's as I come out of a turn.
ie; I'm relying more on torque than peak RPM's.

To add more controversy to the discussion; (After watching kzz1king's video) I found this video. <evil grin>
It will make you re-think your methods.

NOTE: At one of my first COG rides (23 years ago) I asked an "old" COGger about leaning in the turns.
That member told me to '"point" my chin at the inside corner of the windscreen.
In the video the Russian refers to this method as "Mirror kissing". (6:00+ minute mark)

I often tell newer COGgers to try Chin Pointing; Chin Pointing (Mirror Kissing) moves the upper portion of the body forward and in-ward and is a good way for newer riders to learn to do upper body movement. (y)

Old Guy admission: I still base my lean on "Chin Pointing" {but now I include "push my shoulder out into the wind" and seldom feel the need to "slide my azz".

Ride safe, Ted (yes, I'm old and slow)
Upper body is sufficient I would say,
Regarding rpm and gearing, Canyan Dancers claims lower gear and higher rpm makes trail braking more difficult due to higher engine braking slowing the bike to quickly.