• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Home mechanic solution for Final Drive Cap?

ZiaCog

I've got the drain plug off and draining. Moved on to the oil filler cap with a spark plug gauge, seemed to be the right size. No dice.

Tried a large screwdriver, not budging.

Tried vice grips and the spark plug gauge again, nada.

Any tricks to getting this puppy off with out biting the plastic too much? This thing is on there tight.

There’s a Motion Pro three armed tool that has one arm end that fits perfectly. You can use two hands on the other two arms.

Motion Pro 08-0087 Timing Plug Wrench

Amazon.com

Here's my solution... https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/final-drive-oil-cap-tool.50647/post-641486

BTW, not saying you haven't already done so, but I've found that if I stop for a minute and think about all the gazillion things I've got in different tool boxes that may fit a half-moon shape like that I'm betting you'll find something like I did. This was a wrench for a bicycle that I had in a bin on the shelf. It was only after I walked away and got a beer that it struck me. Hope you'll find the same holds true for you. Guessing you'd be amazed at the range of stuff that'll work without tearing up the paint on the little cap.

Replace it with one of these and never worry about it again. Oil and dif fills are the same size. Projekt d.. many colors to choose from..

Attachments

• 16585967813557213690056612413.jpg
    16585967813557213690056612413.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 143
Sorry, but I couldn't help myself. This just popped into my head.

1) Highlights the orange paint. Why would anyone want to do that?

2) Highlights the orange paint. It ain't RED..

3) Highlights the orange paint. I thought that was rust.

Ride safe, Ted

Sorry, but I couldn't help myself. This just popped into my head.

1) Highlights the orange paint. Why would anyone want to do that?

2) Highlights the orange paint. It ain't RED..

3) Highlights the orange paint. I thought that was rust.

Ride safe, Ted
Would u be happy if i had some RED pin striping applied.....

This works great. Simple.

Stanley Proto J5444A 1/2" Drive Socket, Drag Link 3/4" on Amazon.​

I ended up buying a CNC machined Final Drive Cap from Amazon (from a link in another thread). I haven't yet installed it because life has a pesky way of getting in the way of motorcycle enjoyment. But it looks good, has an o-ring with it. If I like it, I'll buy another and replace my oil cap too.