• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How do I remove bar ends for grip replacements?

BrianG

Hi All! I purchased some replacement grips for my '95 C10 from Murph's and am now trying to install them. The service manual appears to indicate a cap that covers a bolt head holding the bar ends on. I can't get those caps off. All I seem to be doing is buggering them up while trying to pry them out with a small screwdriver. What is the trick?

The bar end weights are just held on with a Phillips screw. I don't know about any caps that need to be payed out. A picture would be helpful.

OEM parts schematic says it's a plug so I would assume it just pops out of there.

9206692066-1124PLUG,HANDLE

1715091548693.png

Pop the cap off with a knife blade, work all the way around slowly feeling the blade touch the "insert" and pry outward with blade, the weight is retained with a socket headed cap screw other wise know as an allen headed bolt..dont remember the size

Thanks Murph. I'll tackle it again when I'm in the proper mindset, have my patience hat on, and locate a small blade.

That was easy. Double thanks Murph.
This is what it looks like as it comes out. Hope this helps anyone who struggles with it like I did.
The cap screw for the weight requires 6MM allen wrench or socket.
Now to get the old grips off...
Bar end cap out photo.jpg

I should have opened the new grips so as to have already asked this question...
That grips from Murph have a solid weight end (eg: no hole for mounting the weight). Do I just cut off the end of the grip?

New grip photo annotated.jpg

On the clutch side I just punch a hole in them for the bolt to go through on the throttle side use a razor knife to trim off the end of the grip so theres no drag on the throttle. Unless you want a scary cruise control;). theres actually a little groove in the grip that works as a guide as to where to cut them off.
To remove grips, if you have compressed air, just peal off a spot where you can slip the nose of an air nozzle in and give it a shot. should pop off like a banana peal

Another way to remove those caps is drill a small hole in the middle and insert a sheet metal screw.

Ride safe, Ted

PS: Those grips from Murph work great on a C-10. If I didn't have heated grips they would be on my C-14 too.

Thanks all. The grips are off. I was able to work a long, thin screwdriver under the grip, working it around until the grip was loose enough to wiggle it off. I then took a break to mow the lawn. I'll get back to this project once I stop sweating.

If you put gasoline inside the new grips it will soften them.
After a few minutes, dump the gas and EZ to slide them into place.
After the gas evaporates the grips will stick in place.

Last edited:
If you put gasoline inside the new grips it will soften them.
After a few minutes, dump the gas and EZ to slide them into place.
After the gas evaporates the grips will stick in place.
Denatured alcohol also makes a good volatile lubricant, and might be less likely to damage some materials.

I used to use hair spray as a lubricant for grips, smells better than gas. :D I think they are in place with 6mmhex sockets.

They are on! I had purchased the grip glue from Murph. I STRONGLY do not recommend it for the throttle side. I wrongly assumed that it would act like a lubricant before drying as an adhesive. Boy was I wrong. I got that grip about 1/3 of the way on and that was it. Not only was that it, but is was not stuck in place. I came very close to having to cut it off but finally got it without that drastic measure. I cleaned the glue off then used window cleaner as the lubricant to get the grip. I was difficult but its on. The clutch side I slid on using window cleaner but it twisted so I pulled it off, cleaned it up, applied glue, the slid it on. "Slid" is the wrong word because that makes it sound easy. It was not. It was more difficult that the throttle side, but it on.

@Murph, FWIW, I ended up cutting the ends off of both grips for a cleaner, consistent end result. The first install on the clutch side was before cutting off the end and I felt there was too much length to try to compress with the weight installation so I cut it off before the second attempt with the glue.

Anyway, I took it out for a 10 mile test run stopping for fuel 2 miles from home. After fueling, that bike would not start due to barely any juice from the battery. I'm home, 4 hours later, thanks to a friend with a trailer. No thanks to AMA Roadside Assistance who failed miserably. You will likely be hearing from me as I try to figure out the battery issue considering its only 18 months old.

One thing that I did not see commented on when searching posts about grips is that the OE grips are different lengths, the throttle one being longer.
OE Grips.jpg
This is meaningful relative to the grips sold by Murph in that when an end is cut off of those for throttle side, the grip is just a tad too short (white plastic visible on both ends). This is a minor issue that I'm sure will go unnoticed once accustomed to. As for the clutch side, cutting the end off made it the exact right length, IMO.

My clutch side fit nice like your pic Bud. Not so much for my throttle side. You can see the gap on the inside end. There is a smaller one on the weight end. Yours appears to have a smooth band on the inner end that mine doesn't. Is that something you added?

New grip throttle side.jpg

They are on! I had purchased the grip glue from Murph. I STRONGLY do not recommend it for the throttle side. I wrongly assumed that it would act like a lubricant before drying as an adhesive. Boy was I wrong. I got that grip about 1/3 of the way on and that was it. Not only was that it, but is was not stuck in place. I came very close to having to cut it off but finally got it without that drastic measure. I cleaned the glue off then used window cleaner as the lubricant to get the grip. I was difficult but its on. The clutch side I slid on using window cleaner but it twisted so I pulled it off, cleaned it up, applied glue, the slid it on. "Slid" is the wrong word because that makes it sound easy. It was not. It was more difficult that the throttle side, but it on.

@Murph, FWIW, I ended up cutting the ends off of both grips for a cleaner, consistent end result. The first install on the clutch side was before cutting off the end and I felt there was too much length to try to compress with the weight installation so I cut it off before the second attempt with the glue.

Anyway, I took it out for a 10 mile test run stopping for fuel 2 miles from home. After fueling, that bike would not start due to barely any juice from the battery. I'm home, 4 hours later, thanks to a friend with a trailer. No thanks to AMA Roadside Assistance who failed miserably. You will likely be hearing from me as I try to figure out the battery issue considering its only 18 months old.
I had a miserable lesson-learned experience installing my heated grips. The left side was a very tight fit directly on the bar, so I did not use any glue. The throttle side, though, was a snug fit on the throttle tube, but did slip some. The grips came with a little tube of super glue, but I had an already-opened bottle of good super glue, so I used that on the throttle. I carefully marked where I wanted it with a dry fit, took it off, put glue on the throttle tube and inside the grip, and then tried to push it on quickly to the pre-marked location, but it slipped on too far, and in less than a second hardened up so I could not adjust it. In the end I was able to get it back off using acetone and careful prying, but I thought I had ruined both pieces. The second time around, I installed it dry and used a super-thin super glue that wicks in to preassembled parts. That's been working great, and I highly recommend it.

You can read the full saga here. BTW, I love the grips and highly recommend them. They are a bit fatter than most, which suits my bigger hands well, and they look factory. I find myself using them even more than expected. Instead of using my warmer gloves in cool mornings, I just use my regular summer vented leather gloves and turn the grips on and my hands stay nice and comfy. As they day warms up, I can turn them down, and then off.

My clutch side fit nice like your pic Bud. Not so much for my throttle side. You can see the gap on the inside end. There is a smaller one on the weight end. Yours appears to have a smooth band on the inner end that mine doesn't. Is that something you added?

View attachment 38756
I've found that there's usually a gap at each end of the throttle grip. I think it's to give plenty of tolerance so there's no risk of binding.

The gap on the inside end is essential if you want to use an Atlas or Vista-Cruise style throttle lock.

My stock grips and Koso Apollo grips both had gaps on the throttle side. The outer gap is partly filled by the friction collar for my Throttlemeister bar end. I had to make a custom one, as the original one didn't fit with the heated grips, and I thought about making it larger diameter to fill the gap, but in the end just left it the same diameter as the original Throttlemeister-provided collar.

You can see photos in the thread here: https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/koso-apollo-heated-grips.56872/