• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

How to use the center stand solo?

Rhino

Bicycle
My new C14 is the first bike I have had with a center stand. It seems completely impossible to use it without another person to pull and lift from the rear of the bike. I have read the owner

Hello, I too find it difficult to get my 2009 up on the center stand. In addition I have found it will get more difficult as the rear tire wears and changes the height/angle at which the stand engages the ground. I stand facing the center stand side of the m/c, use my right foot to push down and lift as best I can with my right hand on the rear grab rail. I also find it helps if I rock the m/c a couple of times before I give it the big push to get her up on the stand. Later, Norm

You mean they still didn't get the center stand right? Bummer. On the C10 I carry a small 1X4 board, 6" or so, and put the rear wheel on the board. Probably work on the C14 too. Just drop it into the side case. Doesn't take up much room. --chris - on the trailing edge of technology

Thanks for the info, I'll give the board idea a try. Norm, I think you must be a lot stronger than I am!

The combination of putting the board under the rear tire and a little rocking of the bike worked. Thanks guys!

Most of the work is done by putting your weight on the center stand. Push the center stand down until it touches the ground, stand the bike up so both "prongs" of the center stand are touching the ground, 1 hand on the handlebar, 1 hand on the rear passenger bracket then put all your weight on the center stand and at the same time pull up and back with your arms. It takes a couple practice moves until you get it right, but when you do, it pops right up on the center stand.

Putting the C14 up on its center stand is actually quite easy even with loaded bags if you use the correct technique. I always struggled with all of my old C10's and also found it difficult on my 2009 C14 until I figured out what the Owners Manual was trying to communicate for technique. Now its a snap. Use pretty much the method that Rawman stated however its key to make sure that you are facing the rear of the bike with your left hand on the left grip, right hand on the left rear grab rail, and most importantly, your right foot on the center stand arm with toes pointed to the rear of the bike. Apply your weight to the center stand and lightly lift from the left grab rail and it should snap right up. The left hand is just to balance the bike. With practice is set easy. I always park my bike at the end of the day on the center stand even before I unload my bags including my E52 GIVI top case. Kevin

+1 on Rawman and Kevin. It may be disconcerting at first to lean the bike away while looking to get *both* feet of the stand on to the ground. Have an assistant stand to the right of the bike while you practice, so that if it does all go wrong you don'

I have a C10 with a bigger fuel tank. It took me a month of trying but I finally got her up on cs. A few things help me - bike is in neutral, side stand is down, make sure bike is balanced completely on cs (both feet of cs are touching - bike wont rock side to side), I grap left grip and turn it to the left and use the passenger grab handle, then while pulling back on the grip and staight up on passenger grab handle, I push as hard as I can on the cs footrest and lean body toward back of bike. I practiced in garage till I was consistent, now np. C K Roach Jr COG#9094 CDA# 0319 you cant lose what you never had 2005 Concour "Gold Rush" 1983 Suzuki GS750ES - Project 1983 Suzuki GL850 - Sold 1982 Suzuki GS650G - Sold

Here is the trick to getting the C14 on center stand. Left hand on the left grip Right hand grip the left bag arm with your arm straight Right foot on the center stand arm with toes pointed forward Apply your weight to the center stand with your arm straight your body gets longer and you will lift the bike up onto the center stand. Doing it this way some people have said I believe you could do it with your wife on the set OPT 2010 Russell W Fleming

I have just had my 2010 c14 abs for a few weeks now. The day I picked up my bike they gave me the new owners walk through. After he was finished I asked him how hard the bike was to put on the center stand. He told me to be sure I had some help on the other side if I tried it. He didn't even want to show me how right then and there. Kinda scared me some but after I got it home in my garage I decided I really had to give it a try. I thought I understood pretty well the technique the owners manual was trying to get at. Well I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bragging here but the bike flew up on the stand, easy as could be. I'm an average size guy probably a lot younger than my age but my age is rather advanced. Guess I'm just doing it right. It goes on the center stand every night when I'm done riding for the day. I think the key is to have your right arm straight and lift with your legs as you pull the bike back. Works for me anyway, I hope you guys that are having a hard time get it worked out. Steve

New owner of a C14. I have had 2 BMW's with center stands. I have no problem getting it up, but it almost seems like it is still very front heavy. Is there an adjustment? With it on the stand it is very difficult to spin the front tire so the valve stem is easy to reach. Even if I lift on the forks, which feel heavy, it feels as it might fall back off the stand. Anyone else or is it just me? The BMW's felt almost perfectly balanced with very little weight on the front wheel.

Putting this beast on both feet can be very difficult if you don't use proper steps .facing the bike left hand on left grip right hand on middle of rear grab bar top of your hand facing seat ,put right foot on side stand peg push it down to floor be sure booth feet of center stand touch the ground evenly ,this can be done by tilting the bike to the right with pressure on center stand.all in one motion pull back with left arm push down with right foot and lift with straight right arm ,if booth feet of center stand are not on the ground it will be 10 times harder to do but still can be done.Iam 5'9" 185# and couldnt do this until someone gave me proper instructions on the way to do this task ,it dose not take a lot of effort to do so if you find your self struggling your not doing this correctly.good luck.

I had a discussion on "another" forum about this. This bike is a cake walk to put up if done right. I shot a video of me putting it up - barefooted using only 2 fingers on each hand. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=astp0sJSrWQ I put my 120+ pound wife on the pillion last night and put it on the center stand in sandals. It's ALL technique. What I think happens is that people don't TRUST putting the weight on the right (away) foot of the center stand, so the bike is SLIGHTLY leaning left when they start the attempt to put the bike on the center stand. If the bike is off center, it's a BEAR to get up. But if you take the time to make sure you're settled, equal balance on both the left (closest to you) and right foot of the center stand BEFORE you step down, it should go right up.

I will say this, I found the C14 centerstand easier that the C10. Tried a couple of times in Greenville with a '09. Much easier that my '06.

LOL I've had people say that I must have feet of iron.... I'm actually a bare-foot wimp. I swept the driveway so I wouldn't step on a rock before shooting that. Hope it's worth the price of admission, at least.

It really is that simple. I have a C14 and a Zx11 and always park them on the center stand. By the way I am 76 years old. Follow Big wheels video.

You the man Duane. ;p I'm 61 and use the center stand all the time as well. So if Duane and I can do it, you can do it too Steve, you just need a bit more practice. Don't give up, before you know it you'll be flicking that thing up in no time at all. :)

I really don't have a problem with my center stand on my 08. I think the problem is your trying to lift the bike. It weighs like 800 lbs. Unless your some kind of man/beast this will be difficult. The bike naturally wants to move backwards when you putt pressure on the stand. In stead of lifting the bike simply roll the bike backwards when you stand on the centerstand. if done properly it sheould take just a little effort. Use your weight on the stand and don't try to mussel it. If you are straining you are doing something wrong.

Drew is correct but I suspect he already knew that :) Once you get the tactic down you might feel goofy for even posting the issue but we have all been there. There must be a 100 google postings on how to do it right. I saw one film where an average sized guy put his C-14 on the center stand bare footed and using only two fingers of each hand... while his wife was sitting on the passenger pillion. Truely, once you have the tactic it is cake. UP