• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Hudson Valley, NY: Ride to Steamtown, Scranton, PA 4/12

Bigben

Scooter
Hudson Valley, NY: Ride to Steamtown, Scranton, PA

Exciting destination for the first ride of the season, a ride to Steamtown National Historic site is a railroad museum located in downtown Scranton, PA. The ride route will be fairly short and direct (about 110 miles) to give us enough time to explore the site and maybe even go on a short train ride on the “Scranton Limited”. There is a $7 entrance fee to the park, and $5 for the train ride.

The ride from the Pilot Service Station to Steamtown will be approximately 3 hours of riding including late breakfast/lunch and rest stops. Expect to spend 3 – 4 hours exploring the museum. I recommend you bring a pair of sneakers to walk around in as motorcycle boots are not the most comfortable for long walks.

Start Time: 04/12/2014  Start Time: 9:30 AM 

Meet At: Pilot Travel Center, Newburgh NY 
Address: 239 Route 17K , Newburgh , NY  12550

see April calendar for details

Ben, we might be interested. Also, thinking about making it a leisurely over niter.

Nice ride Ben! Steamtown is a great train museum but the shining jewel for me was the 'Big Boy', one of the largest locomotives every built. Anything that weights 1,250,000 lbs. and goes 80 MPH is just fascinating IMO.

Brian

BDF said:
Nice ride Ben! Steamtown is a great train museum but the shining jewel for me was the 'Big Boy', one of the largest locomotives every built. Anything that weights 1,250,000 lbs. and goes 80 MPH is just fascinating IMO.

Brian

You gave me the idea. I took a quick ride there to scout the route, will likely make one more trip before the event date.

BDF said:
Anything that weights 1,250,000 lbs. and goes 80 MPH is just fascinating IMO.
Geez!  We know Ben is a big guy, you don't have to get so personal with it.  :nananana:

Ugh, that was the day I was planning to come back from vacation.  Now I might have to leave a day early.  Actually, though this sounds like a LOT of fun, I don't think I'll make it.  The bike hasn't even gotten out of the garage yet this year, and there's still ice in front of my garage.  :-[  So I don't even have the beginning of the year maintenance done yet.

Bigben said:
Eddie-FL said:
Y'all have fun. Man, I love me some steam locomotives! I've gotta go there.

Come up Ed, it's only about 19 hours ride for you.
Only 19 hours? Piece of cake! Actually, I have a cousin that lives outside of Allentown. We're going to try to visit this year and it's only about an hour and a half to Steamtown. I'm thinking that's how I'll do that!

Hey guys I might be able to meet up with Ya,its only 20 miles from the house,there is a couple of good places to eat,depending on what time your looking at if your interested.Also here is a number for a coal mine tour if they are open.Its only miles away from Steamtown.  1-800-238-7245. OOps also forgot anybody wanting to camp over night at my place your more then welcome,just give me a heads up as soon as you can.

EBAD said:
209 to 443? Or just I84 :(

The route will not be super fast, it will roughly these roads: 17k -> 62 -> 61 ->209 ->97 ->434 ->US6 ->590 ->348 then some other smaller roads. A detailed gps file will be posted over this coming weekend.
The return trip will be on the slab on 1-84, or you may go off on your own.

dimetraveler said:
Hey guys I might be able to meet up with Ya,its only 20 miles from the house,there is a couple of good places to eat,depending on what time your looking at if your interested.Also here is a number for a coal mine tour if they are open.Its only miles away from Steamtown.  1-800-238-7245. OOps also forgot anybody wanting to camp over night at my place your more then welcome,just give me a heads up as soon as you can.

Can definitely use recommendation on places to eat within a short distance from Steamtown. I was thinking of Kildare's Irish Pub, just a couple blocks from the museum.

Bigben said:
EBAD said:
209 to 443? Or just I84 :(

The route will not be super fast, it will roughly these roads: 17k -> 62 -> 61 ->209 ->97 ->434 ->US6 ->590 ->348 then some other smaller roads. A detailed gps file will be posted over this coming weekend.
The return trip will be on the slab on 1-84, or you may go off on your own.

That sounds great. I hope I can join.

hi ben
, put me down to go. just found out the boss is out of town that day, so i think i should get out as well.
will meet up at 9.30 on sat.  :great:

I screwed up. :-[  i went to the meet up point today and nobody there checked the date, wrong sat, any way took 17k out and around.  and worked my way home to ct via the taconic and 84. nice just chilly, and i have never seen so many leo's every 10miles every where i went today. sorry i wont be there next week, loved the ride,

Ratsac said:
I screwed up. :-[  i went to the meet up point today and nobody there checked the date, wrong sat, any way took 17k out and around.  and worked my way home to ct via the taconic and 84. nice just chilly, and i have never seen so many leo's every 10miles every where i went today. sorry i wont be there next week, loved the ride,

Sorry about that, please come back for the May ride. Destination yet tobe determined.

Ben has provided a sample ride route GPS file and it has been uploaded to the NE Ride info section of the member library. You can find a link to it from the Steamtown ride calender of events entry. Use the link below, and while there, don't forget to register.
Link to the calendar event entry

I have a couple of possible commitments "hanging" that won't be resolved until late in the week. Basically, it will be a last minute decision on attending. Hopefully, things will work out.

Bigben  if you want a good seafood place not far from Steamtown is Cooper's Seafood great food and the best beer selection you can find,something like 400 beers.And remember to take everything you don't want stolen from you off the bikes or lock them down.If your not going to eat big great little market for great hoagies is Catalano Market 130 S Main Ave
Scranton, PA 18504.And you can't leave out Coney Island Hotdogs there are 2 right below the station.
I hope I can run into you guys,i have 2 things going on in the morning and early afternoon,if I get a chance I will take a run down and maybe I can run into the group.

dimetraveler said:
Bigben  if you want a good seafood place not far from Steamtown is Cooper's Seafood great food and the best beer selection you can find,something like 400 beers.And remember to take everything you don't want stolen from you off the bikes or lock them down.If your not going to eat big great little market for great hoagies is Catalano Market 130 S Main Ave
Scranton, PA 18504.And you can't leave out Coney Island Hotdogs there are 2 right below the station.
I hope I can run into you guys,i have 2 things going on in the morning and early afternoon,if I get a chance I will take a run down and maybe I can run into the group.

Thanks for the suggestions, we are going to end up eating in Mt Cobb at the Waymart Hotel Pizza II. I also looked at Coney Island  Hotdogs two weeks ago, the issue there was parking. They only have street side parking. I think it's better to avoid street parking if possible.

Coggers,

Please note that the restaurant information on the event registration site is incorrect. The correct addres is:

Waymart Hotel Pizza II
1179 Mount Cobb Road
Mt. Cobb, PA 18436
570-689-0200

Apparently they have two restaurants one in Carbondale and the other one here. We expect to be there from about 12:30pm - 1:30pm then continue onto Steamtown, about 15 miles down the road. No worries here about property security.

Address info will also be update on the events page.

The weather looks great for Saturday.

Morning in Newburgh
Newburgh+NY+12550.jpg

Afternoon in Scranton
Scranton+Afternoon+Weather+-+AccuWeather+Forecast+for+PA+18503.jpg

Since you are "guaranteeing"    ;D :great:  the fine weather, can't pass up on sunshine and "big iron". See ya tomorrow.

Hey, I am just a few miles south of Steamtown. If I get done work early I'll stop by and see if you all are still there. If'in yall don't mind?  :D

CraigK said:
Hey, I am just a few miles south of Steamtown. If I get done work early I'll stop by and see if you all are still there. If'in yall don't mind?  :D

That's great, we will be there between 2-4pm. See there.

Made it home at 19h30 just as the sun was setting. Ben, thanks for organizing an excellent ride and Abbe for providing the gorgeous weather. See you somewhere.  :motonoises:

It was a good 280 mile day.  I got home at 7 PM after stopping for ice cream and to fill the fuel tank for tomorrow.