• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I already know how to ride.

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
For the past 3-4 years I have worked the state's rider safety booth at the regional motorcycle expo, as well as several dealer open house events.  We talk to riders about safety and rider education. We usually have the SMARTrainers there (used as an awareness and recognition trainer) and conduct some portions of the MSF Street Smart / Rider Perception module.  When soliciting folks to chat the most common thing we hear is "I already know how to ride." 

What is your take on rider education?  Do you already know how to ride?

Yes they may know how to ride but they don't know everything and IMO if your so closed minded to think that no one can teach you anything then your sadly mistaken.

To this day I remember things that were taught to me many years ago in MSF courses that have helped or saved my butt in difficult situations.  I would love to find some advanced courses in my area so my wife and I can learn new tips or sharpen or current skills.

BUT DO YOU ALREADY KNOW HOW TO CRASH? Because everyone who knows all there is to know is headed for a fall. I thank that all who ride motorcycles should looking for ways to improve their riding skills. Even the most trained riders sometimes have accidents, ask some of the motor police. So to put it simple none of us know all.

To realize how little you really know is the beginning of wisdom.

I knew how to ride.  I'd ridden as a kid and I'd put tens of thousands of miles on that '86 VT1100 Shadow I bought in the throes of a midlife crisis when I was 42, so yeah I knew how to ride!  But Sam wanted someone to take the MSF-ERC with, so I went with him.  Listened to the presentation and, though some of the terminology was new, the principles were all old familiar friends.  I scored 100 on the test.  We went outside and rode our own bikes through the course and that went pretty well too.  It was a pleasant experience, and it was cool to go with Sam, but I didn't really think I learned all that much.

And then we rode home.

On the way home, I thought about the things we'd been doing all day long and suddenly the scales dropped from my eyes and I realized that the experience had made me THINK about the technical aspects of riding in a way that I simply never had before.  And this awareness was just amazing!  I was looking at a familiar situation with a fresh set of eyes and it made me much more aware.

And ever since then, I've recommended those MSF courses! 
th_smilenod1pu.gif

That's a question that I could answer many ways. But what I would say is that I get by. There is always something I can learn, unlearn or forgot I knew in the first place. I hope that experience and making things habit will breed instincts when the need arises. But IMO, nobody will ever know everything there is to know. Because things can be looked at and applied different to different situations. So I get by.
    I don't want to say that I know how to ride. Because if I did. I probably would never have mishaps. I would probably go out of my way to prevent some of the mishaps folks that were with me, might have suffered. And I probably would have never damaged any of my bikes or myself. Although sometimes circumstances dictate what will happen (no matter how good you are). 
    IMO, a smart person tries to keep an open mind. Listens to what other folks observations and suggestions may be. Then weighs out if and how to apply them. The fool is the person who knows it all already and is not willing to hear suggestions. So applying these suggestions would be a moot point. So myself, I get by. But there is always something I can do to try to improve. I notice as I get older that my nerve and reflexes are not like they were when I was young. Hopefully I am smarter than back then. But I must adapt my riding skills to match my physical abilities (or disabilities). This is where listening to folks can come in handy, Because I may not be able to see or realize something that I am doing, that I may be able to adapt and improve now. So I get just get by.
    I have to admit that the trainer that you speak of was a lot of fun. It was fun being able to make mistakes and not get hurt or die because of it. (since it was only a simulator) But the trainer showed me that no matter how good you are. You probably can't see and expect everything. I don't know if the trainer is good for folks just learning how to ride though. If I had tried it first. I might not ever get on a bike after all of the crashes I had.  :))

So to actually answer the question. I think a smart rider always tries to keep learning how to ride. Whether your new or more experienced. There is always something you can learn, unlearn or improve on. You must adapt and overcome to be at our best and safest. If not the fate we suffer may not be what we might want. So me, I get by!  ;)

"But do you know how to ride with skill?"

I know how to play chess. Does that mean I couldn't learn something from a grand master? (Heck, I could learn something from the middle school chess club...)

I know how to roller skate. Does that mean I couldn't learn something from an X-gamer?

I know how to use a camera. Does that mean I couldn't learn something from a pro photographer?

I know how to shoot firearms. I hope if I ever tell an instructor from Gunsite or LFI or a Miculek "I already know how to shoot" they slap me back into reality...

Knowing how to do something doesn't mean you know how to do it right. I tend to be the "knowledge for knowledge sake" type, and never turn down an opportunity to learn from someone else, even if I know the topic. Even if by rare chance you don't learn something new, you re-enforce what has already been learned, and that is just as important as learning something new.

Quite frankly, anyone who can look a subject matter expert in the eye and tell them they already know how to do it is putting ego before intelligence, and in this case, is probably going to pay a price eventually.

Non-motorcycle anecdote: I had a brand new technician start on my crew one time. He was a crusty old retired navy Chief Fire Control tech, older than me and certainly with more time in electronics than me. Told me to my face, the first day, "I have seen everything in electronics, you  won't teach me anything new." The first time he said it, I laughed. The second time he said it, I put him in the watch station and left. After about a half hour, one of the system alarms went off, and he called me. I told him, "I can't teach you anything new, so fix it." You know how it went from there, and I never heard those words from his lips again. Unfortunately, in motorcycling, digesting that crow can kill you...

When I went through the MSF RiderCoach training I'd been riding for about 42 years but I'd never had any formal motorcycling training. I THOUGHT I knew how to ride. Well I did. kind of, know how to ride. I knew how to operate the bike and I knew the "rules of the road" that apply to all motor vehicles.  I was, however, genuinely shocked at the poor riding habits I'd developed, the skills I'd never mastered and (basically) what a mediocre rider I TRULY was.

True story: I was coaching a Basic Rider Course and the husband of one of my class members (in SC women typically outnumber men 3:1 in the BRC) showed up at the end of the class on his V-twin cruiser to follow his wife home (she was in her car). He proceeded to tell me: (1) How long he'd been riding (30+ years). (2) Why he didn't think he would benefit from taking any of the riding courses because he "knew how to ride." He really kinda ticked me off so I bet him $10 he couldn't do the maneuvers his wife had just completed (specifically the U Turn Box, one U Turn to the left/ one to the right inside a box 22' X 60'). He said, "My bike's too big to do that." Well, I was riding my GL 1800 Goldwing that day which was/is 100lbs heavier than his bike in addition to having a longer wheelbase so I showed him it not only could be done on a bike bigger than his but I performed the maneuver in a box 18' X 40' . I then upped the bet to $100. He huffed and puffed and climbed onto his bike and left. I felt kinda bad but his wife was laughing her butt off and told me it served him right. She wanted to learn to ride because he scared her.

Bottom line: YOU CAN ALWAYS LEARN SOMETHING IF YOU'RE OPEN TO LEARNING!

A day without learning something is aday wasted.  I think we all like to learn but we sometimes let our ego get in the way when we're being taught.

Like my A&P friend always said about newly licensed mechanics, "That ticket says you have enough knowledge and skill to begin learning".

I have found the courses to be someone boring and repetitive, at least in parts.  If you are talking about riding skills challenges, like handling your bike through cones, then perhaps a different marketing approach might serve well?  Even if not, a marketing approach such as this might break down the macho barrier and get folks into the course that may otherwise react in the way you describe.

I already know how to fly, but I DON'T know how to do <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vV0LRRXuuU">THIS!</a>

There is always plenty to learn, and much to relearn. Something as simple as countersteering or emergency braking correctly should be practiced often. Yes, putting your knee down is a skill, but as I have already LEARNED, not necessary nor a good idea on Connie.  :truce:

At any rate, we should all take an advanced class. I want to schedule one this year.

I'll pass.

I have been riding since I was maybe 13 or 12 and I am 51 now and I've got enough problems already without having to find out I've been doing it wrong all these years.

noClue.jpg

Whenever I hear a student or prospective student state, "I already know how to ride"

This is what I actually hear..... (and see)  :nananana: ​

2186078340052071584S600x600Q85.jpg

"I know nothing!"​

Thanks and RIP, John Banner........

2linby said:
Whenever I hear a student or prospective student state, "I already know how to ride"

"I know nothing!"​

OMG!  That is perfect.  Just like picturing the audience naked when giving a speech

Mike_M said:
Yes they may know how to ride but they don't know everything and IMO if your so closed minded to think that no one can teach you anything then your sadly mistaken.

To this day I remember things that were taught to me many years ago in MSF courses that have helped or saved my butt in difficult situations.  I would love to find some advanced courses in my area so my wife and I can learn new tips or sharpen or current skills.

Which is exactly why I go take the MSF Experienced Rider course every few years. And every new bike, without fail.

If you want to get really sharp, buy "Ride Like a Pro 2" and set cones up as described, and master them. Then you will be better than 99% of all riders.

S Smith said:
2linby said:

"I know nothing!"​

OMG!  That is perfect.  Just like picturing the audience naked when giving a speech

Hmmm picturing the audience naked is only interesting if it is all female. Sorry, girls. I'm a man, I don't want to look at naked men.  :truce:

"I already know how to ride" is an analog of the three words most often preceding someone crashing, wiping out, or otherwise making a fool of themself - "Hey watch this!"

Privateer said:
"I already know how to ride" is an analog of the three words most often preceding someone crashing, wiping out, or otherwise making a fool of themself - "Hey watch this!"

I thought it was, "Hold my beer, I want to try something..."

Life is all about learning new things . I took a ten year break from the street so bet your butt I took a safety course to refresh and will be taking the advanced class asap.

"I already knew how to ride" when I went to John DeSoto's motocross school as a teenager (of course, all teenagers already know EVERYTHING)... But I sure ate a lot of dirt and skinned up a lot of gear and hide trying to prove it all week.  By the end of the second day that crow tasted nasty and hurt all over.  :-[

BigJoeVA68 said:
Privateer said:

I thought it was, "Hold my beer, I want to try something..."
NO NO NO!!!!  :-\    It is "Hey would ya hold my beer while I lite this fuse?"  :nananana:

Thus disclaimers and warnings on just about every product now made! Example: C14 pannier sticker that says something like: "This is not a seat"!  :))

My favorite "Lawyer Label" disclaimer was found in the owner's manual of a 2003 Gold Wing a friend of mine owned:

Do not attempt to check or adjust tire pressure while vehicle is in motion!
I can't help but wonder how many people actually tried this and sued in order for something like that to make it to the manual!  :-\

Theres a class for that! :rotflmao:

ChipDoc said:
My favorite "Lawyer Label" disclaimer was found in the owner's manual of a 2003 Gold Wing a friend of mine owned:

Do not attempt to check or adjust tire pressure while vehicle is in motion!
I can't help but wonder how many people actually tried this and sued in order for something like that to make it to the manual!  :-\

for anyone who makes this claim to me, i am pretty plain about how i feel:
My first thought is usually "why are you trying to convince me of this?"
:-[

but next i just state the facts
I have been riding motorcycles full time, as an adult, for 18 years...what you did as a kid doesnt count.
I have owned 6 different motorcycles successively, how many have you owned?
I have been to 5 different motorcycle riding courses, including one in 2009, how many have you been to?
(MSF, NESBA 1st timers, Keith Code, STAR, and CLASS-All at race tracks)
I raced motorcycles for 3 years, and have done trackdays for the past 13.  I have more track time on a motorcycle than many have just looking at them.

You can say you know how to ride, but i can show you that i know how to ride, and i STILL look to go to a school or environment to work on improving MY riding. 

Every issue of RoadRacing World has a segment in it showing riders with much more knowledge and talent than i have, who are killed in bike accidents across the country.  and they knew how to ride too.

So what were you saying about knowing how to ride again?    ???

S Smith said:
What is your take on rider education?  Do you already know how to ride?

Yes, I do already know how to ride.  I want know how to ride better.

The physical/mechanical aspects of riding are fairly simple.  Learning
to apply these techniques in a constantly changing environment with
infinite variables requires much more training, and that knowledge
is better found in a class type environment.

The school of hard knocks can kill you on a motorcycle.