• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I can make it 5 miles down this dirt road...

eldouble

1.5 hrs into Ed's Last Resort Rally (12hrs) GPS takes me to a nice hard packed, but rippled, clay road.  About 1 mile into it, that nice hard pack job, turned immediately to sand.  I didn't even have time to say Oh Sheit before we were in the sand.  Got her up fast, but took me 5 mins to plow us around to go back the other way.  I skipped that bonus location.  Apparently there was a paved road entry from the other side... which I found out 10.5 hrs later after the rally.  Cracked fairing between the mirror and turn signal, popped out the bolt hole for the air scoop, and popped a rivet on the front saddlebag clamp.  Duct taped the air scoop, drove another 10.5 hrs, totaled 704 miles, and won the rally :)  The 98 Connie beat all those Beemers and Wings after her CDA redemption.

Well that sucks! But I don't know if Greg will let that fly or not. It may be ruled a crash. You should go back in and edit the post to say you were trying to turn around because of the sand when you went over!  ;)

Miles,
Please tell me more about when the bike went down.  Were you at less than 5 mph?  Stopped?
That's great that you won the rally against 18 other riders who finished. 
How does the rally work - how are points awarded.  The pictures etc look like it was a great time.
http://www.edslastresortrally.com/Index.html

I was just idling in 2nd due to the ripples/ridges in the road shaking me to death.  Not sure of the actual speed...  I'll take the win over a CDA # though :) 

Miles said:
  I'll take the win over a CDA # though :)

+1
Awesome story Miles. COngratulations on coming out on top in the end.  So sorry to hear of the damage though. Glad you are OK.

And thanks for making Connie a winner in the eyes of others too.  ;D

How does the rally work - how are points awarded.
Most endurance rallys are about the same as it comes to scoring, and get their rules from a group called affectionately Team Strange Airheads... here's a link to the actual rule book.  Reads like a legal document. http://www.teamstrange.com/uniform_rules.htm
But basically the night before (7:30 at Eds) they handed out the rally packs with all the bonus locations.  This pack had 70 places to find, and each one with a diff point value.  The goal is to choose a route that that will get you the most points and still be back in the time allotted.  But of course the farther away the location, the more points its worth.  Our options were anywhere from up to NC, over to AL, and down to FL.  Most take you somewhere like a landmark, and ask a question regarding the landmark... ie, what date was the building built, or when was the town settled.  Others may be something to buy... like a Vidalia onion in Vidalia Ga.  Stuff like that.  Most riders input the info into computers, and map it out, then put into their GPS units.  I picked the LONG route into FL down the east coast, across the central part of the state, back up the west side, and then NW back to GA.  Computer told me 12:15 ride time.  And thats exactly how long it took.  But the computer doesnt account for time stopped at the locations, gas stops, rain gear donning, or dropping the bike in the sand :)  All that time has to be made up on the road.  I kinda over extended the milage, but it was the only way to get enough points that I thought may win it... sure enough it did.  But I may have exceeded the posted limit a few times.  >:D

Sorry for your drop/crash!

But.. Congrats on your rally win and thanks for 'spalinin everything to us un-edumacated ones. Sounds like great fun. I have kinda envisioned something like that in the Texas area.. Lord knows it's big enough to hold an all day event!

I 2nd the thanks for making the Connie look as good as she really is!