• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I finished my project… and now a new issue

cornponious

Greetings all. First off I would like to thank all of you for your words of insight throughout my rebuild (sort of) project over the last six months. And also for your patience. This is a wonderful community and I’m very happy to have been a part of it for the last ten years or so.

To recap, several months ago I was fueling up for a ride when I noticed a puddle of coolant forming under my bike. I hopped on and raced home (approx 5 miles), parked the bike, and immediately began dismantling it. I found that the coolant tube behind the headers had dried and cracked open.

I decided that, as long as my bike is mostly dismantled, I may as well replace as many parts as I can. I also sent my carbs to SISF, who did a great job of cleaning and rebuilding them.

Yesterday evening I finally got the bike completely reassembled. I then took it out for a ride. Much to my dismay, I discovered it has no power. It starts fine. It idles very well, and sounds no different than it ever has for the past ten years, in fact it sounds a little better (no rough idle whatsoever).

But when I get out on the road, it sounds different. It sounds like it’s bogging down. Like it’s flooding out. I give it some gas, and nothing. It just won’t go. I mean, it’s drivable, but only just. As I said when idling it purrs along normally. no smoke at all. No drips of any kind. I’m at a loss and I’m very sad.

Here is a list of what I replaced that could affect this:

Reed valves
Valve cover gasket
Various carb hoses (though not the fuel lines)
Air box (I inspected it for cracks)
Carbs completely cleaned and rebuilt
Spark plug wires
Spark plug boots
Spark plugs
Ignition coils

Would any of you have any thoughts as to where I could look first?

Last edited:
Have you experimented with the amount of foam? Pinched fuel line? Did you clean the fuel tank while the carbs were gone. I can recall Rich being pretty fanatical about not messing up pristine carbs from crap in the tank.

I did not clean the tank. There wasn’t much fuel in it. It sat in the tank for the duration of the work I did. When it came time to work on the tank, I siphoned the gas, then installed a new petcock and fuel level float. Then I put the gas back in, with another three gallons of fresh gas.

Yesterday evening I finally got the bike completely reassembled. I then took it out for a ride. Much to my dismay, I discovered it has no power. It starts fine. It idles very well, and sounds no different than it ever has for the past ten years, in fact it sounds a little better (no rough idle whatsoever).

But when I get out on the road, it sounds different. It sounds like it’s bogging down. Like it’s flooding out. I give it some gas, and nothing. It just won’t go. I mean, it’s drivable, but only just. As I said when idling it purrs along normally. no smoke at all. No drips of any kind. I’m at a loss and I’m very sad.
Sounds like what happens when I try to give my bike throttle while still warming up and choke mostly on - butterflies open but slides mostly closed. Since you had the carbs off, is the choke assembly at the carbs sticking/not opening all the way/spring missing and causing the slides to be in "choke" position?

Sounds like what happens when I try to give my bike throttle while still warming up and choke mostly on - butterflies open but slides mostly closed. Since you had the carbs off, is the choke assembly at the carbs sticking/not opening all the way/spring missing and causing the slides to be in "choke" position?
The choke mechanism on the carbs appears to be functioning properly.

Hello
Check membranes for deterioration
Bernard
Which membranes are you referring to? The carbs? If so, they’ve been completely rebuilt.

Also, the bike is lurching. It’s like it’s trying to accelerate sporadically with full power, but this is only momentary. In general, it sounds and feels like it’s flooding.

Tell me All about the foam. ETA you also mixed bad gas in with the 3 gal of fresh fuel. Steve
Hi Steve. Again thank you for the work you did on the carbs.

There was a little over a gallon of fuel that sat in the tank for about six months. I did not think six months would be enough time for fuel to go bad. I may have been wrong about that.

The bike will sporadically lurch, trying to hit full power like it used to. At all other times it feels and sounds as if it is flooding out, bogging down. I have your foam inserted into one of the two openings on the back of the air box.

When the bike is idling, it sounds and revs seemingly normal, and I can hit the throttle and it seems to behave as it always did.

There was a little over a gallon of fuel that sat in the tank for about six months. I did not think six months would be enough time for fuel to go bad. I may have been wrong about that.

The bike will sporadically lurch, trying to hit full power like it used to. At all other times it feels and sounds as if it is flooding out, bogging down. I have your foam inserted into one of the two openings on the back of the air box.

When the bike is idling, it sounds and revs seemingly normal, and I can hit the throttle and it seems to behave as it always did.
Email me. Lots of possibilities here . Send you phone #. Steve

Are your plug wires on correctly? I believe the left coil fires #1 and #4 cylinders, right coil fires #2 and #3 cylinders.

Six months is way more than enough time for fuel to go bad , especially ethanol fuel without any stabilizer . I would drain the tank completely , remove it and shake out as much as possible ( use the fuel in the lawnmower or do what I do and dump it in the old truck)

Had a similar problem years ago.
Tried """everything""" I could think of {including a carb rebuilt} and tried everything that others suggested.
The more I tried, the more frustrating it got. Nothing worked.
In frustration I took it to a Rally and let Steve look at it.
Took him about 5 minutes to spot it.
Turned out that the bike needed spark plug wires and caps.

Murph mailed a set of wires/caps to the event. We installed them.
Problem solved.

Ride safe, Ted

c'est souvent le cas, peu de gens blâment les antiparasitaires ;)

The problem has been resolved! It ended up being one of the new ignition coils I purchased. It was the one connected to cylinders 2 and 3. I put the old coil back on and now the bike is running better than ever. So, the new coil was a bad part.

I’d like to use this time to publicly thank Steve in sunny Florida for taking time out of his week every day last week to call, email, and text support in finding the problem. Thank you, Steve! You’re a sweetheart!

And this video should give an idea of how happy I am now.

The problem has been resolved! It ended up being one of the new ignition coils I purchased. It was the one connected to cylinders 2 and 3. I put the old coil back on and now the bike is running better than ever. So, the new coil was a bad part.

I’d like to use this time to publicly thank Steve in sunny Florida for taking time out of his week every day last week to call, email, and text support in finding the problem. Thank you, Steve! You’re a sweetheart!

And this video should give an idea of how happy I am now.

At the car dealership we say N.E.W. Stands for never even worked.