• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

I must just have to get years of stories packed into my first few months

cbacton

Big Wheel
I am a basically new motorcycle rider having bought my first (and so far only)  bike , a 1990 C10 Concours, in Feb. So far I have dropped my bike (the reason for this post), been in an accident (wasn't hurt, didn't go down, wasn't my fault, she didn't look before changing lanes into me), been bruised by hitting road debris( car kicked up a large chunk of truck tire tread which folded my right foot down over the peg) and had the shift linkage break while driving (this morning). After seeing it for the first time, my daughter promptly named her Buffy. Not because of the TV show, but because she resembles the horse she was riding at the time, a haflinger pony.
imga0042e.jpg
I think you might see a resemblance!

My short riding history: When I was a teenager (in the mid 70's) my dad bought a Honda 50. It was red with a white fairing and had a windshield.
thehonda501.jpg
It could go about 35mph downhill with a tailwind! Only after I got a motorcycle license was I allowed to drive it. Driving it home from school one evening, I managed to hit a rock that had rolled from the center median. I saw it in the headlight beam but didn't have enough experience/confidence to swerve around it. Instead I turned the bike enough to clip the front tire, causing the wheel to turn abruptly right and flip me to the ground. I skidded with the bike for about 20 feet and got a good case of road rash on my hands (no gloves of course but I was wearing a helmet!). Thus ended my confidence and the riding motorcycles. Fast forward 10 years. I moved to LA and thought a little about getting a bike. Took a look around at the traffic and craziness on the freeways and, having all that confidence from my first riding experience, thought to myself "no way!". Thus ended my riding career for next 20 years. At the beginning of this year, 2011, I stared a new job. The drive is about 34 miles, the time to travel it in a car between 1  to 2 1/2 hours depending upon weather, accidents, traffic, butterflies farting and anyting else that can cause a delay. It was costing me about $400 a month in gas in my car, a Chevy Aveo getting 33 mph! So motorcycles again entered my world. It seemed that the only viable cost effective option for me was to get a bike. Public transportation was no cheaper and took 2 1/2 hours one-way! So with the help of my best friend William, who has been riding for 35+ years and has been trying to get me on a bike since we met 18+ years ago, I found and bought my first bike off eBay.
asbought.jpg
After riding it for about a month it finally worked out so William and I could take our first ride together. We rode about a mile and a half to grab a couple of burgers. It was grand fun riding with him. The grin wouldn't leave my face. On the way back, with visions of CHiPs(and the theme song) running through my mind, we stop at a traffic light. the light turns green and William accelerates through the intersection. I lift my feet onto the pegs, apply too little throttle and pop the clutch, stalling her immediately with no forward momentum. I realize too late that I need to put my feet down and catch her from falling. Instead I manage to just arrest the fall enough so that, to all the lanes of traffic around me, it looked like I just decided to very carefully lay my bike on the ground and then dismount , run around her and lift her back up. I was so embarrassed! The whole thing was over in 30 seconds but it felt like 2 hours before I got her vertical, started and drove through the intersection to meet William on the side of the road.

The result of my incident was scratching the right hand mirror and saddlebag as well as a bruised ego and a good laugh with William.
laugh.gif
So I thought I would share my experience and earn my first riding award!

Just for the record, I have gotten a little better at riding and have a little more confidence. I have put almost 4000 miles on my bike commuting in all weather. A couple of weeks ago William and I got a chance to commute together to work. He followed me and said I now look like I have been riding for a lot of years! I love my bike and am so glad I wound up getting a Concours! Now I can't wait to ride. Driving a car feels so wrong!

ps. What I looked like two weeks ago when the lady merged into me.
howiwasdressedcopy.jpg
Results: Broken left hand mirror, saddlebag, antler, lower fairing and louver. $2300.00 in damages!

Thanks for sharing, it was good reading!  She probably told the cops -"oh i couldn't see him"  on his bright yellow bike and with a dayglo jacket!  :( 

Welcome back to two wheels!

Eddie_Bohanan_TN said:
Nice story for a morning wake up, thank you.  I really like the color of your bike as well.  Be safe out there.

+1 on the color of your cycle.  Yellow is my favorite color and your jacket looks useful too.  Too bad that lady could not 'see you'.

Yesterday, I had a young lady from Illinois try to defeat physical laws where two masses cannot occupy the same exact space when she skipped over a lane merging into the freeway.  I sent a lot of harmonic overpressure at her to cause her to deviate from that idea.

Clark, CDA0347 for your drop at the light.  Done that myself out of a side street (read - the road I live on).
Really enjoyed your stories. 
Too bad on the crash but I am glad you are ok.
I too love the color of your bike.  It is always pretty cool seeing no factory colors on the C10.

Yeah! I won my first motorcycle award!
grin.gif

Boo! It was for dropping my bike!
sad.gif

I agree with you guys on the color. When I first got her, I thought that I was going to repaint. But after a short while the color grew on me. I am going to repaint her, but she will always be YELLOW!
wink.gif

Thanks guys for the nice welcome. Hopefully I will soon have more stories to relate, only without the bad stuff!

Clark
COG #9452
CDA #347

Boy oh boy! If you have to drop your bike in an intersection it is better that you do it that have assistance from another motorist!

I love the bikes color. Almost matches me!

2848945350052071584S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks for sharing and ride safe!  :)